Object Guarding - Help My Friend's Dog?

edited January 2014 in Behavior & Training
So, this isn't an NK and isn't even a dog I have, but I figured I might be able to get some feedback from you to help out my old roommate's dog (actually her parents' dog, but as he's her childhood dog, she somewhat considers him hers).

Anyway. The dog in question is an intact male Toy Poodle, about 10 years old. He's probably a mill dog (I'm not sure--I know they got him as a puppy, and that they did not get him from a breeder that they talked to or a shelter--so I'm assuming pet store puppy). He has little to no formal training, but does know some basic commands (but was never taught any degree of self-control and is a rather rude dog, but like many poorly trained small dogs, they've never considered it an issue). He has some arthritis, but is on joint supplements and I believe also has a prescription for when it flares up worse. Usually he's an only pet, but because of the holidays more family members have been visiting and bringing their pets (all of whom are familiar to him, but of course it's a lot more activity than he's used to). Obviously, there is a lot of that that I would have done differently--but that's totally beside the point now. He is food and toy motivated (mostly resource guards toys, but I think he does guard food sometimes as well), responds well (if overenthusiastically) to praise, and is generally eager to please. He would be a very easy dog to train if they wanted to spend a little time working with him.

The incident that pushed her to reach out for help is because he bit her mom (supposedly fairly badly, considering his size, and I think he may have broken skin--but because he's such a tiny dog she didn't need stitches or anything) after she tried to take a toy from him. Knowing her dad, he will probably push for euthanasia if the issue isn't dealt with--he's wanted to euthanize before when Biscuit has bitten, despite the fact that the circumstances of the previous bite (which, as far as I know, is his only bite history) is that he sat on him with his full weight. Both dogs (the other is a similarly-sized poodle mix) and the cat in the house for the holidays received toys on Christmas, and Biscuit--as he usually does--destroyed his within a few days. He then stole the cat toy, and when my friend's mom went to take the toy from him, snarled and bit her.

They're very unlikely to take him to a professional trainer, but from what I know, this seems to be a pattern that is intensifying. He is put under any level of stress, and he begins to resource guard--if he were my dog, I would not be putting him into situations that distress him like that, but I doubt they're going to change their ways about that much. They also tend to overwhelmingly rely on aversives to train him, which I feel are likely to only distress him further and result in more anxious and resource-guarding behavior. (Example: he has a tendency to yap when overstimulated, so they put rocks in a pop can to shake/throw when he barks. Sometimes they do put him in his crate with a blanket over it to let him chill out a bit and get out of the action, but usually they use the can first--ineffectively). I'm going to give them a packet of information on positive reinforcement training and some pointers on dealing with resource guarding, stress signals, etc., but as it's not an issue I've had to work through (and I know some of you have), I'm not sure what the best resources are?

Because he's not my dog and I can't control how they do or do not train him and manage him, I'm honestly not sure how much I can help. I can't dictate that they be more careful to read his stress signals (the younger dog is pushy and won't leave him alone, and he clearly shows stress signals about this the few times I've watched them, but he still hasn't entirely revoked her puppy pass). I can't force them to use positive training techniques and make sure not to stress him out worse. She's worried about the whole situation, because she doesn't want him euthanized over this. Which of course, I also don't want him to be euthanized over this--it would be totally unnecessary for an issue that seems totally manageable (he's really not a dangerous dog, but he is poorly trained and often poorly managed).

Comments

• This is sad. I don't foresee a good outcome unless they are willing to make the sacrifice to have a professional trainer work with them. Even relinquishing the dog to a shelter will probably not be a good option because most people don't want to take on the challenge of rehabilitating an older dog, much less one that lacks training.

I would see if you can find a Toy Poodle rescue that have the resources and dedication to help this dog. Shiba Inu rescues in my area are infamous for taking on even the most difficult cases and finding them a forever home that will give them the time and attention they deserve.

I hope this helps and good luck.
  • My hope is that they'll be willing to work with him some, and that when things calm down after all the assorted other animals go home after the holidays, he'll be under less stress and the resource guarding will diminish. I will talk to them about professional trainers, because they might look into it (depending on which family member ultimately makes the decision)--being that he's a poodle, they do at least use a professional groomer, and they do give him consistent veterinary care. So I know they aren't entirely opposed to spending some money on him.

It seems like it's so much an issue of ignorance and not watching his signals, at least from what I've seen. Each family member has such a different method of dealing with him that I think he never knows what to expect. Add to that the further chaos of more people and animals being in the house, and probably his joints acting up in the cold weather we've been having (we've gotten maybe four or five inches of snow over the course of the day, after it being almost 40 degrees a couple days ago--sudden weather changes)... and, well, I really hope that one way or another they work this out in his favor. Because he's not a bad little dog by any means (even if I'm very much not a poodle person).
  • Tell you (ex?) room mate to take the dog from her parents' and keep it herself.