KIBA PICS 09/21/2015
  • Hello everyone,
    I live in Houston, Texas and I got in touch with Mrs. Campbell, Marian from Classy kennel 2 months ago. After our conversation, I put down a deposit for a male Black brindle Kai puppy and luckily, there is one for me. I already purchased a airplane ticket to come pick him up on January 7th 2014. Right now, I still don't know what I should name him. Any suggestions is appreciated.
    Post edited by Paradise at 2015-09-21 22:10:38
  • Congratulations! I have a black brindle too- and they are really stunning as their stripes come in. Maybe a name will come to you when you meet him!
  • Congratulations! I have a black brindle too- and they are really stunning as their stripes come in. Maybe a name will come to you when you meet him!

Hi, i am really excited about the pup. Just curious, what do you name your kai? And how old is your kai?

• I have 2-

Juno is my red female, she is 2 years old (she'll turn 3 in about a month). Her registered name is Yamabushi no Momiji Juno. Momiji means autumn foliage/red maple tree. Yamabushi is the name of her kennel. I chose Momiji because we live in Vermont, known for its colorful autumns and maple syrup. I chose Juno because it is a strong female name that doesnt sound like any of my other dogs' names. I call her Juno, Juju, Junebug, Bug and all sorts of other nicknames.

Matsu is my black brindle male. He is 15 months old. His registered name is Yamabushi no Kanjiki Matsumori-Go. Again, Yamabushi is his breeder, Kanjiki are traditional Japanese round wooden snowshoes, and Matsumori = "pine forest." Matsu has very round webbed feet, like snowshoes, and our land is next to the Green Mountain National Forest, so it's very piney here. I call him Matsu or Mats (which sounds like "Mahts"), Mr Black, KuroMatsu (Black pine) or if he has been exceptional "Matsu-Freakin'-Mori!!" :)

Because we enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle, I gave my kais outdoorsy names.
  • CaliaCalia
    @WrylyBrindle I can't believe Juno is almost 3 already, time really is flying
  • Yeah, she turns 3 Feb 1st... Yamabushi's first litter! Reilly will be 11 in March :(
  • Paradise, congrats on our new pup. You will have to post pictures when he/she arrives.

Snf
  • Thank you everyone. I will be posting picture of my puppy as soon as he arrives. I cant wait...
  • I have 2-

Juno is my red female, she is 2 years old (she'll turn 3 in about a month). Her registered name is Yamabushi no Momiji Juno. Momiji means autumn foliage/red maple tree. Yamabushi is the name of her kennel. I chose Momiji because we live in Vermont, known for its colorful autumns and maple syrup. I chose Juno because it is a strong female name that doesnt sound like any of my other dogs' names. I call her Juno, Juju, Junebug, Bug and all sorts of other nicknames.

Matsu is my black brindle male. He is 15 months old. His registered name is Yamabushi no Kanjiki Matsumori-Go. Again, Yamabushi is his breeder, Kanjiki are traditional Japanese round wooden snowshoes, and Matsumori = "pine forest." Matsu has very round webbed feet, like snowshoes, and our land is next to the Green Mountain National Forest, so it's very piney here. I call him Matsu or Mats (which sounds like "Mahts"), Mr Black, KuroMatsu (Black pine) or if he has been exceptional "Matsu-Freakin'-Mori!!" :)

Because we enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle, I gave my kais outdoorsy names.

Wow... are they good with other dogs? and how big are they?
  • Both have passed CGC test, and Juno recently passed CGCA (Advanced Canine Good Citizen). Juno is very good with meeting new dogs, Matsu is a great with some and not so much with others, but he is really good at following directions so can work around dogs if everybody's working, and can ignore a dog barking at him on a walk. We live in a very rural place, so they dont meet a lot of new dogs. My dogs are woodsmen. :)

Kai are smaller than they look in photos. Juno is 28 lbs and Matsu is between 41 and 45. Matsu's back comes just about up to my knee.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    Congratulations on your new pup! The day is quickly approaching and I know you must be stoked!
    My goal is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am!
  • @WrylyBrindle nice, that's the perfect size for me. I can't wait for the pup to be home.

@Kuma123 thanks. I am so excited. 7 more days seems so long. I will take pictures when i pick him up at the airport.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!

Post edited by Paradise at 2013-12-31 17:34:08
  • some sneak peek pictures from Mrs. Campbell today about my puppy
    photo Kaipuppy1.jpg

photo Kaipuppy2.jpg

photo Kaipuppy3.jpg
    Post edited by Paradise at 2013-12-31 22:07:45
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    So cute! So very cute!
  • toshitoshi
    Aww;)
  • aww! What a cute lil kaiguy!
  • aykayk
    Who are his parents?
  • @Kuma123, Toshi, and WrylyBrindle thank you all very much. He is 7 weeks old as of now. He will be 8 weeks old this saturday, the 4th of January. 6 more days and he will be home with me.

@ayk i know his mom is yum yum, bkack brindle female. And the dad is a red brindle male (45 lbs) she sent me pics of parents but forgot to mention the dad's name. I might ask het later when i come pick this little guy up on tuesday next week
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-01-01 13:24:38
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    Aww what a little cutie!
    photo Kiyoshi-SteveNakatani-2014-1165gnew_zps67b88604.jpg
  • Aww what a little cutie!

• @ayk i know his mom is yum yum, black brindle female. And the dad is a red brindle male (45 lbs) she sent me pics of parents but forgot to mention the dad's name. I might ask her later when i come pick this little guy up on tuesday next week

It's really helpful to know as much as you can about the pup's parents, healthwise and temperament wise since your pup gets his range of possibility from those parents, and you will know what to expect of your new little guy. As a good owner Marian will expect you to want to know all about the kais, so don't be afraid to ask her anything! Meet the parents.

I'm sure Marian will be available to answer questions as your puppy grows, but being right there with her and the dogs in front of you is an important opportunity.
  • @WrylyBrindle Thank you very much for your advice. You are right. Puppies get part of their personalities from parents. I will ask her more about the parents personalities. As far as it goes, puppies are in great health condition and they are growing fast.

I think I would name my pup "Kiba" which means "Fang". Any other thoughts? Thank you for helping and giving me great advice.
  • Kira_InuKira_Inu
    Stop posting cute puppy pics! It makes me want a Kai! :)

I like that name, there are a few Kiba's on the Shiba Inu forum!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Kira the Cream Shiba

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • My little guy is black with red brindle color. Mrs. Campbell says the brindle stripes are coming in very nicely.
    photo kaipuppy1-1.jpg

Another " More pictures? Seriously?" Look from Kiba (I named him Kiba)
    photo kaipuppy.jpg
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-01-03 11:00:04
  • Good name! We look forward to more pictures as he grows up into a fine young fellow!
  • @WrylyBrindle Thank you very much. Only 4 more days left. I'm counting down ^_^
  • SayaSaya
    Saya is from Marion she is a shiba inu though. She looks just like her mom. Saya's personality is great and she has had no allergies to food or environment yet.

coarse she is a shiba much different from kai ken. I'd definitely ask plenty of questions on parent's temperament and personality.

Kiba is a cute name and fits well with NK breed as they have some fangs on them. hehe

Good luck with your pup keep us updated.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Such a bad day. My puppy will not be here until saturday... 4 more days to wait... :(
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    The weather has been really bad and the temps way too low. It would not be safe for the puppy to be flown in that ind of weather.
    Stacey living with Tora, Kazue, Ritsu and Kuma the Shiba
    www.suteishiikennels.com

DSCF0686IMG_0940 - Version 2DSCF0714IMG_1151

10443860_10202258803333634_2133731540_n
  • TrzcinaTrzcina
    Yeah, we've had record-breaking lows tonight here in Michigan (I believe it was -14 last night, without windchill). I almost spun out three times driving to and from work because of road conditions--and I'm not exactly shy of driving in winter conditions.

So it's better for him to wait a few days so he can get to you safely :) I'm sure it's hard to wait, though!
  • @Sjp051993 yea. That's why it's being delayed til sturday
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-01-07 18:45:39
  • @Trzcina. yea. I will post pics when he arrives
  • new pic of my Kiba. He will be here on Saturday.

photo Kibapuppy001.jpg
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    That's great! I bet your excited :)
  • KIBA IS HERE...
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-01-12 00:53:38
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    Yay!!! Pictures?
  • Kiba first night home. I got to the airport at 10:45 pm and the receptionist there told me that my puppy would arrive at 11:32. Well, I had a seat and finally, Kiba had arrived at 11:40. He was afraid of me at first but after about 2-3 mins, he warmed up pretty quickly. He was very calm and confident in public place. We got stopped so many times at the airport because other people wants to pet him. We hit the road at 12:25 am and got home safely at 12:50. He is such an amazing boy. Thank you Mrs. Campbell for giving me a chance to have this little guy. Here are some pictures
    photo 20140112_194127.jpg

photo 20140112_123938.jpg

Falling asleep right next to my bed. He made it through the night without whining and there was no accidents at all. He woke me up at 6:15 am to let him go potty. and we had some fun as he was exploring my backyard.

photo 20140114_080410.jpg

Amazing coat and very nice brindle stripes

photo 20140112_104604.jpg

Here is a short video:

• mdokicmdokic
    Kiba is a cutie, congratulations on your little brindle fluff-pal! :D
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • BootzBootz
    Loving the brindle :) Congrats!!
  • Aww <3 I love baby kais! Welcome home, Kiba :)<br />
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Congrats! <3
  • TrzcinaTrzcina
    Congrats! Cute little guy!
  • Thank you everyone. Kiba is doing fine. I dont know what puppy food i should put him on right now. He is a little over 8lbs now at 9.5 weeks old. Any suggestion? Thank you for your help.
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-01-16 07:42:07
  • mdokicmdokic
    I fed Wellness puppy when I had Kona, but it doesn't have much in it (it's good for what they sell at Petco)...switched her to Earthborn adult food later...Kimber we fed Orijen and it is AWESOME, but it's got a LOT in it...almost leaning towards too much (she would just poo non-stop haha), but still awesome! And I hear Earthborn makes a Earthborn puppy as well I would check in to. (Hope that helps somewhat) :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    I fed Goro Earthborn coastal catch for adults when he was a pup and he loved it. He did more than awesome on it. ;)
  • NavyDogNavyDog
    We feed Orijin & it's been awesome. They both poop about the same amount as they did before but their poops are much more solid then any food we've tried. For our lazy Amstaff, it's a bit more then she needs but its perfect for our crazy kai. Once Yucca is a bit older were going to start mixing it with earthborn or something similar
  • Thank you so much everyone. I have purchased orijen puppy food the largest bag. It costs $80.00 after tax at my local feed store. It's kind of pricy but i skim through the ingredients and ammount to feed my puppy, it turns out orijen food is actually more denses than the others. Does it sound right? And base on my calculation, a 30lbs bag of orijen would last my puppy about 6-7 weeks, which is great. Hopefully Kiba will do fine on orijen :)
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-01-16 17:06:57
  • mdokicmdokic
    Oh yes! That's the point, you get more nutrition and more out of your food, so you feed less. So in the end, you don't really end up spending that much more, and you're feeding your dog a much healthier food! It's a win-win! :D I bought that same sized bag, it lasted a good while...once it was done we just switched her to Kona's Earthborn Coastal Catch :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    Kiba is so cute!!

I feed orijen puppy too, the poop and farts are stinky lol because of the rich content but my dogs loved the food.
  • NavyDogNavyDog
    That's why we love orijin (though we don't get the stinky farts lol), we get a large bag of adult for Cay and puppy for Yucca and that lasts us 2 months. It is pricy but when I was feeding holistic select I was buying food once a month. Also I like that it doesn't give my dogs a doggy smell. People often say they can't tell we have dogs despite having 2 of them in a small home. Of course give it some time, see how your pup does on it, then adjust his food accordingly. Most dogs have mushy poop for the first week or so on it because they are adjusting to the high quality so don't be turned off of it if that happens. Give him time to adjust
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    My dogs love coastal catch. I try to switch it up, but they always give me the "what is this crap?! Where's my food?!" face... So I always end up coming back to it! Earthborn FTW.
  • toshitoshi
    I fed puppy fromm and my kai did pretty good on it. I have yet to smell her pass gas.
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    Kiba is adorable! Congrats on finally getting him :)
  • Kiba is 10 weeks old today and his weight is 11 lbs. Is he a litle bit small for his age or he is just a slow grower compare to other pups? I feed him orijen puppy formula and he does fine on it. Here are some picture I took today
    photo 20140126_122636.jpg

photo 20140126_122655.jpg

photo 20140126_122715.jpg

He was about to take off chasing a random bird in my backyard.

photo 20140126_122713.jpg

• CrispyCrispy
    Kiba is cute! He looks healthy and in a good weight in the pictures, to me. 11 pounds at 10 weeks seems like it makes sense for a medium-small dog, but I don't have a Kai-- I'm sure other owners will weigh in soon!
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • He looks healthy to me, too! (and adorable!)

I remember my kai pups were 8ish pounds at 8 weeks, so 11 lbs at 10 weeks is well in range. Bear in mind that kai aren't as a cookie-cutter as breeds that have long been selected for conformation to a show standard, so a good kai is never a bad size- it's about who they are and what they do! And they are ALL smaller than they look in pictures- its common for new kai owners to think they are smaller than they thought they'd be. A friend of mine remarked that kai "look like a big dog, only smaller" :)

Juno was 8lbs at 8 weeks, 10.86lbs at 10 weeks, 14 lbs at 13.5 weeks, 22lbs at 11 months, 27 lbs at 13 mo, 28 lbs ever since.

Matsu was also 8 lbs at 8 weeks old but 24 lbs @ 4 months, and 42.6lbs @ 16 months. I dont have his other weights on paper anymore, but I think there's a bunch of this info in this thread for him and other kais:

http://nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8332/kai-ken-growth-rate/p1
  • NavyDogNavyDog
    Yucca was 7lbs 10oz at 8 weeks and 10lbs 5oz at 10 weeks. Now she is 7mo and weighs 27lbs. I gotta admit, I thought Kai's we're bigger before I got one. I'd never met one in person so when Yucca turned 6 months, I started thinking she was small for the breed. I measured her at the whithers & turns out she is right on track to be a nice sized Kai.
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    Awww Kiba looks great! :)
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    Kiba is too cute! I am so glad he made it to you safely and that he is doing so well! He looks awesome and healthy and especially happy :D
  • Adorable!!! :x
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    What a cute little guy :)
  • YogadogYogadog
    Is this Yum Yum and Rio's pup?
  • YogadogYogadog
    We will be breeding Hello Kitty to Rio this spring if all goes according to plan.
  • He is adorable.

I was feeding my JA pup origen puppy food too. However, it was a little too rich I guess (protien%). Also, once he started teething the food augmented any odors he had... : ( I found he does much better on ACANA (same company makes the food, but lower protein count). I was actually told by another member from this forum.
  • TrzcinaTrzcina
    I was told that Finnish Lapphunds should be about as many pounds as they are weeks old at that age, and they're similar in size to Kai--so like others have said, I think he's just fine! He looks to be at a good weight from the pictures. Very cute pup!
    Post edited by Trzcina at 2014-02-01 20:57:11
  • Hi everyone, it's been a while that i have not updated kiba's pictures. He is 14 weeks old now and weighs 16 lbs. Here are some shots and a short video i took couple days ago.

I really had no idea why I took this picture on Valentines Day... Sexy butt...I guess?
    photo 20140214_120504.jpg

Front yard!
    photo 20140214_120718.jpg

photo 20140214_120657.jpg

On My Bed!
    photo 20140215_155626.jpg

photo 20140215_155904.jpg

Last but not least, A video clip that I took last week.

Thank you for viewing, Everyone!
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-02-27 19:40:12
  • ValkyriiValkyrii
    Kiba is a very good looking boy. In fact I think Nero may be his brother!

LMAO @ 'sexy butt'

Funny thing is that was one of my wife's questions when I mentioned Kai's. Once we narrowed in on breeds and started looking at Akitas she liked the way their tails curled and their how their 'booties' looked. I'm not sure why that was important but I'm just fine with that remaining one of the few mysteries in our relationship.
  • HI Valkyrii, was Nero born october 11th 2013? If so, Nero is indeed Kiba's brother lol
  • I love when he jumps for the bird! :)

• ValkyriiValkyrii
    @Paradise maybe not then. My paperwork shows Nero as 11/10/2013 and Kiba looks a slight bit older. Either way GREAT PUPPIES! :D
    Post edited by Valkyrii at 2014-02-28 09:23:22
  • mdokicmdokic
    Oh my, i love the video of him!! too cute! ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • tmdtmd
    Kiba is cute looking pup!! Any updated pictures or videos? Also, @Valkyrii are you maybe reading the date incorrectly. Is it day/month/year in which case both Nero and Kiba are the same age?
    - Hanzo (Kai Ken), Pharaoh (JA/AA tweenie), Meg (Border Collie/Lab mix)
  • ValkyriiValkyrii
    @tmd LOL I actually re-looked at it several times. I did email Marian to check if one was a typo (no answer yet) however Kiba does appear larger and easily a month older when comparing photos on the same date.
  • tmdtmd
    Ah, fair enough. Even so, they are both very cute!
    - Hanzo (Kai Ken), Pharaoh (JA/AA tweenie), Meg (Border Collie/Lab mix)
  • ParadiseParadise
    Hi Valkyrii, Infact, Kiba IS Nero's brother. As of now Kiba is 22lbs give or take. He is growing in a very steady rate. Even though he appears to be a bit larger and older than Nero, They are actually brothers. I was going to pick Nero at first but my parents wants Kiba so I took Kiba. LOL

@tmd hi! Kiba is doing fine, I will upload more pictures and video of him this weekend :D
  • ValkyriiValkyrii
    @Paradise so very cool to know. I only have one video so far of Nero....humping his bed. I think I won't post that one LMAO

Yes, MORE pics of Kiba!!!

So that means Kiba's parents were Rio and Yum Yum?

Post edited by Valkyrii at 2014-03-21 15:40:49
  • ParadiseParadise
    @Valkyrii Yup. They are Kiba's parents. hehe. You should post it here. Kiba humped my leg too. I will take a video of that when I have a chance LOL.
    Post edited by Paradise at 2014-03-21 16:46:30
  • ParadiseParadise
    Hello everyone, It's been a while since my last update on Kiba. Here are more pictures and a short video of him playing with a basketball today. He is 14 inches tall and weights 22.5 lbs right now. Is he on the right track? can anyone guess how big he will get based on his measurement right now? Thank you very much

photo 20140322_163024.jpg

photo 20140324_193608.jpg

photo 20140322_162950.jpg

And a short video
  • ValkyriiValkyrii
    Kiba is so cute! I'm still amazed at how different he looks from Nero. Kiba is longer, taller and leaner whereas Nero appears broader and stockier.
  • mdokicmdokic
    OH my goodness. The little one's growing :) And is so playful and cute! Love the pics and the video!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ParadiseParadise
    @Valkyrii thanks you. I know right, I talked to Mrs. Campbell yesterday and she said that growth rate can be vary among puppies even if they are from the same parents. However, Rio was a late boomer so I think Nero has his slow growing genes

@mdokic thank you very much. He has grown so much in the past 3 months.

Here are pictures that I just took couple of minutes ago. He was begging for food lol

I see food in your hands, sir!
    photo 20140326_132312.jpg

May I have a piece, please?
    photo ebcab62f-4cc6-4e0f-9ed7-71a4cd616afe.jpg

OK! OK! I will let you take a picture of my face. I better have my treat for this pose! :D
    photo 4d8b19be-1032-4084-8ccc-a0bd2a487cc9.jpg

Fantastic babe!
    photo 0728e00a-b178-45d3-a235-681cc7d5baaa.jpg

A short video!

Thanks everyone for viewing
  • ValkyriiValkyrii
    HA well at least they the same OMGGIVEMEATREAT look!
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Kiba is so cute!
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • mdokicmdokic
    AWWEE!! In some of those, he reminds me of when my Kona was little ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ParadiseParadise
    Hi everyone. Kiba is 20 weeks old today and he weighs 24 lbs. We spent time at the beach and I took some pictures of him. He was doing good off leash, I walked him for about 20 mins and then I let him roam freely for about 45 minutes. Here we go

Breakfast
    photo IMG_8440-11.jpg
    photo IMG_73211.jpg

At the beach
    photo 20140330_154338.jpg
    photo 20140330_154321.jpg

after having fun at the beach
    photo 20140330_190906-1.jpg

Here is a video of us playing. Please turn your volume down for the video. Thanks!!!

Thank you everyone for viewing!

• MirkaMMirkaM
    Love these pics :). Thanks for sharing.
    Kai will lay down its life to protect its master.
    photo banneri_zpsc6e1d74e.jpg
    Kennel Gekkoo No: http://gekkoonoen.webs.com/index.htm
  • EidenEiden
    Ooh Kiba is so cute ! I love the running at the beach !! Thanks to show us !
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pics he's grown so much. :)
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Hello Everyone, It has been a while since my last update on Kiba. I was so busy lately and finally, I have a chance to take picture of my boy. He is right now at 19 inches tall and weighs roughly 36 lbs. He is still growing right now and I do not know when he will reach his adult size. I thought that all Kai Ken stop growing taller at 12 months old but Kiba grew 1 inch in the past 9 months. Any thoughts? I really don't know what is going on right now but he looks more mature now and here are the pictures ( 1 year and 9 months old):

photo DSC_0283_zps5sjmtyku.jpg

photo DSC_0277_zpscztrkllv.jpg

photo DSC_0290_zps1i0dyntr.jpg
    Post edited by Paradise at 2015-09-21 18:49:04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion