Thinking about getting a Shiba Inu puppy along with a Havanese puppy

edited December 2013 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
What do ya'll think about the two breeds being together? We had a Shiba that passed away 1 month ago today, so I do know some about the Shiba... I think if we got them both as puppies we will be ok...

Comments

• Oh, just saw this. Ok, really, check out some of the posts on the Shiba side, especially about Shibas in multi-dog households.

It might be ok if they are raised together, but really, Shibas tend to get more and more dog reactive as they get older, and just being raised together is not guarantee they will be ok together. These breeds are so different....it doesn't really seem like a good match to me, as Shibas can be bullies, and one thing about them? They don't back down. That's why some people (not me) think Shibas and Akitas shouldn't be in groups, because the Shibas will not back down from a fight, and an Akita is usually slow to start but also won't back down, and of course the size differential means the Shiba gets hurt.

Also, I would never recommend getting two puppies at the same time. Way, way too much work. I have an Akita puppy now, and I think I forget what it is like between puppies or I'd never do it again! ;)

Also, I can't stress this enough: if you're getting a Shiba you absolutely need to do A LOT of research on where you're getting the dog from. A good Shiba specific rescue will help you a lot, and they'd be a good source, but absolutely do not buy a puppy before you've done a lot of research, understand what a puppy mill is and what brokers are and how they work. Because Shibas are being destroyed as a breed by careless breeding, and a badly bred Shiba can be both a health and temperament nightmare that will cost you a lot of money and in heartbreak. here's my thread on my puppy mill Shiba Bel, and what life was like with her in her 8 years. It's not, unfortunately, that extreme of a situation: many mill dogs are in bad health and fearful and skittish. http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/11830/bel-the-puppy-mill-poster-girl
  • edited December 2013
    I'm puppy sitting three puppies right now and tbh I don't think I can do this permanently.
  • I have a Kai, Shiba, and chihuahua. My Shiba is almost 5, the Kai made a year old a few months ago, and my chihuahua is a 4 month old puppy. I have to say that my Shiba is sweet most of the time with the puppy, but when she gets mad it's game over. I have to separate them before my puppy gets hurt. And having a year old pup as well as a four month pup is absolutely exhausting!
  • @Buffy You were probably one of those lucky people with a sweet shiba. All the ones I've met (excluding Kaia, who is super sweet), have been crazy, aggressive, and mean... Breeding matters.
  • I've never owned a shiba but a woman in my building called me last week about her shiba. She has one that is very dog aggressive and protective of her. She had called me to ask if I would try and help her get her dog to be less dog aggressive and to get along with other dogs and she wanted me to use Kiyoshi for her dog to 'practice' on. I walked down, met her, met her dog, and told her I wasn't going to put kiyo in a situation where he has to be defensive and could potentially learn bad habits...

Her shiba was cute but Kiyoshi isn't going to be her guinea pig lol So I can't speak much form personal experience as I've never owned a shiba, only had encounters with a few, but from what I gather they aren't for everyone.
  • @Buffy If you really want another Shiba I would recommend researching a breeder and going out to meet them and their dogs, and see if they are the type of temperament you'd want.

OR if you're still thinking of adopting that Shiba that needs a home, you can go meet it and see how it interacts with other dogs. Giving a dog who is in need a home is always great!
  • What are Havanese like? As I understand it they are small fluffy white dogs of the bichon family- companion dogs, and I would guess fun to train. I have met one- he seemed easygoing and sociable- but I have not owned one. Closest person with this experience is Jen @tsukitsune she has shibas and a bichon-beagle mix. She has upped her management (since she has 4) but if she is still on the Shiba Inu Forum, she might be a good one to ask this question of. She also is well connected in dog rescue...
  • I have a Shiba (pictured in your other thread). I got her this may as an older girl this May. We think she is 13 (through NYC Shiba rescue by way of a DC foster) She's as shibas go, shes not bad.

Our speculation is she was used for breeding (either mill or byb) then taken/given up. Got an older owner who didn't walk her much and overfed her (putting her what should be 25 lbs frame in to the 40 lbs range though we are losing it now) then when they passed on came to NYCSR where she went through several fosters, and another owner before us. Taking into account she's had a tumultuous past and was by all appearances not well socialized I think we were very lucky.

She needs to be in the same room, preferably sleeping by your feet. Unless strangers are over then she's under covering furniture to watch everyone. Strangers who try and say hi before 24 hours of being around her get growled and hissed at. Strange in her face dogs get the same treatment with the occasional reenactment of Kujo thrown in. She's good with my kai because my kai is very good at reading and reacting to other dogs (she speaks dog well). My kai doesn't submit either when they get in to their occasional snaffus which has stopped alot of the bullying Nikki (the sheebs) would otherwise like to partake in. After 6 months of having them together I can say they are finally showing affection to each other, slightly more than rarely, but it has taken time and patience on both mine and Sachi (the kais) part.

In the 6 months we've had her she is already over 1k in medical bills, and they are not age related. She has stage 3 LP which causes her back left knee to dislocate and be unusable for awhile, her back right is susceptible, and we chose to go the non surgery recover route. She's almost completely blind and deaf at 13 and these dogs can live into their very late teens. She gets skin bumps that have to be checked periodically and is currently battling a bad ulcer on her eye.

I say all of this about my personal experience with Nikki as I think adopting adult dogs is a wonderful thing but you have to expect just a little extra of everything in that regard. Well bred pups are more predictable, generally, and you can kind of mold them the way you want, you won't necessarily have that with a rescue. (I know you rescued your Buffy so you're not new to this but when looking for shibas in particular there is alittle more to consider when looking at the state of the breed).

I love Nikki and would do it all again but I don't think I will have another Shiba after this, I wasn't even supposed to be getting her but she fell into my lap. She just wants a quiet last few years of her life sleeping by her perosns feet and I can give her that. But I have to manage her more carefully in many respects more than my kai who isn't exactly a bombproof dog either. Long tangenting story not any shorter, I would get the Shiba (either pup or rescue) see how their personality turns out as they open up then start looking for a second dog to match what they can handle and/or need. Wait on the havanese BUT I'm fully biased towards the NK, then spitzes, then working dogs.

Good luck! Sorry for the derailing.
  • edited December 2013
    Overall one must know what they can deal with for their particular home situation. Since you have had a Shiba before you should have a good idea on base character for that breed. Within certain lines are some softer Shibas that can coexist with a Cotton or Havanese type dog. Understand the two most likely will be on opposite ends of the spectrum in personality…..Which can work out fine if you do your homework and follow up with good training.

First let me say that there all types of dogs and personalities within any breed. As far as Shibas there are soft/shy, bold and anywhere in between. What you do as an owner can greatly influence what best expression of that personality will shine through.

As far as aggression and poor temperament, I think the biggest issue is the fact the majority of dogs are not socialized well to begin with and there isn't follow up as the dog matures.

Unfortunately Shibas get a bad rap because the really awesome dogs who do behave themselves are overlooked when they have manners, and the horrible temperament non-socialized dogs leave the biggest and of course most negative impression when something goes horribly wrong. Bad PR that sticks, if you will.

Also understand not every dog is going to like every other dog and that is very true of any dog within the Nihon group. As they develop their autonomy into adulthood many of the Nihon breeds tend to have less desire to deal with outsiders (dog or human) if that has not been developed or worked on. In regard to Shibas though, they can be bit more picky and by nature can be reserved toward strange people and dogs. (However there are variations on this!)

Take note, non reputable breeders are not versed in understanding what they have temperament wise nor do they care, so it would be best to avoid mill dogs as others have mentioned. Rescued Shibas offer a glimpse as to what an adult dog may be, but you must go in with eyes open and kind heart working through some of the shortcomings. However, some from rescue are just fine though with little problem and have come up for adoption through no fault of their own. Again you must be on the look out for what will work best for you and follow the rescue pages.

I would NOT obtain two puppies at the same time. Look on the Shiba forum and look up why obtaining more than one puppy at the same time is a poor idea. (However, sometimes two adult rescues from a single home come up for adoption at the same time and that could work.) In any case look up archives from the Shiba forum to help you out in making wise decisions.

Also I would not select a Shiba with the highest drive or of larger size (more than 5 pound size difference in the dog you intend to add) if you plan on having a lap type breed that will coexist with it.

As far as breeders in the U.S.(I am now referring to reputable in this case) there isn't a huge emphasis on developing working dogs, so many Shibas have not been proven in working/hunting situations. As a result there isn't a consistency in the breeding stock for knowing which dogs will produce those best qualities. I can only think of one or two lines or fewer than a handful that may yield a hunting type of dog with good on/off switch for hunting type of work. Breeder preferences tend to be on conformation. Most breeders misconstrue "active" dog with working dog, thinking the two are one in the same. "Active" does not mean it is going to be a good working or obedience dog or social mavin.

Take a look around the Shiba forum and don't rush the process.

Good luck to you!
    Snf

[edited for clarity]
  • Thank you to all of your advice, I will take it all and do more research.
  • I can't really weigh in on this conversation more than others already have, but I really like the Havanese breed. The Havanese I've met have all been really sweet, relaxed, and sociable--never shy, always friendly.

They've all had really attentive owners who took the time to train and socialize their dogs properly, so that may be part of it, as well.
  • When in doubt, I would introduce the questionable dog (in this case, the Shiba) as a puppy and the "safe" dog (the Havanese) as a mature adult. Two puppies at the same time is rough, so between the two options, it would be better IMO for the Shiba to be the younger one. An adult Shiba may take serious offense to an obnoxious puppy and never really accept it.
  • Havanese can be one of the most difficult dogs to potty train... also a lot of them have pretty bad skin/allergy and eye issues. At the clinic I work at, we see a lot them, but that's also because I live in Allergy-central, USA.

I completely agree with @shibamistress about the bullying aspect with Shibas. Granted, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule - one of my friends owns a Shiba and he is very submissive and playful to everyone. Mine can be sweet, but oh my gosh, if she gets into it with another dog she wont stop even if she's outmatched (and they tend to be the instigators, too).

I also agree with @PoeticDragon and I wouldn't recommend getting 2 puppies at the same time if they are the only dogs, and that it would also probably be better to have the Shiba be the younger dog.