Shikoku in a shelter in Los Angeles Area?

You know how skeptical I am about Shikoku/Kishu/Hokkaido showing up in a shelter. But take a look at this dog... Looks like a Shikoku to me... Thoughts?

http://www.petharbor.com/pet.asp?uaid=LACO1.A4660048

Comments

• You know, I saw that too but Masako of SavingShibas named it a Shiba...the size of scale on the dog is what's throwing me off...

Jesse
  • Does kind of look like a Shikoku, though you guys would know way better than me....Beautiful dog, though!
  • Size is throwing me off too...
  • Looks like a Shiba to me.
  • Anyone in the area can go check it in person? Better pictures of it standing might help.

I only met shikoku once so I'm not an expert on iding one.

There is some big shiba out there so who knows could be a big shiba.. I dunno. Either way hope he finds a home soon.
  • It definitely looks like a shikoku, but something about it is telling me its a shiba.
  • what about a jindo?
  • I'd guess Shiba and not Jindo or Shikoku.
  • So true, it's the size...but SOO cute!
  • Looks more Shikoku than Shiba to me...
  • edited December 2013
    There's a healthy population of Shibas in Southern California where you will get all sorts of variants towards (and away) from standard. I saw a few during the Shiba Inu meetup earlier this month that made me look at their features for extended periods of time.

Jesse
  • Looks more Shiba to me, it's legs are skinny and nose is pointy. Though maybe not a perfect/standard Shiba? I've seen a lot of rescued shibas at our local meetup, they really vary in size/coloring.
  • I hope someone reclaims this dog, or, at the end of the hold period, does an adoption.
  • Shiba, I think what's throwing people off is the coat color/pattern, which looks sesame-ish. Plus, since shiba are a popular mill breed, there is such a variety in appearances that I wouldn't be surprised if there a few that happen to look just like a shikoku.

Funny thing is is that there's one shiba pup from a show kennel that I was drawn to since he reminded me so much of a shikoku pup.
  • I think this a Shikoku
  • Definitely looks like a Shiba x brown husky/something else mix.

The muzzle and face shape are a little off from the Shikoku that I've seen. Like the line of the top of the muzzle should slow upwards towards the forehead more than it does... whereas in this case it goes more straight like a Shiba.