Yezo

So as some of you may know, Yezo was rehomed and I have the honor of being is new mom! There was some drama at the airport/customs as there usually is, but after 4 hours of waiting and figuring things out, Yezo was tracked down and released to me.

He was pretty nervous, and anxious and didn't really understand what was going on, poor guy, but after getting comfortable I gave him a bath, which he did surprisingly well in, and was all excited and happy. He peed 4 times indoors, but we're working on that.

Hana is unimpressed and probably feels a little betrayed but I'm hoping with consistent, controlled and positive interaction, she will eventually accept him. Maybe not, but I'm optimistic. It takes her a while to get used to new people/dogs.
Yezo is much more interested in Hana than she is of him, so she shows a lot of calming signals when he's around/close to her, so I'm hyper vigilant, and won't let him get too in her face. Yezo has no sense of calming signals whatsoever so I'll be taking him to classes to teach him some. Haha.

He is TROUBLE with a capitol T to say the least. He's already tall enough to counter surf, and Brad and Jen weren't kidding when they said he loved food. He LOOOOOOVEESSSS food. I can see him getting fat quickly. He's still a puppy and highly food motivated, so training him should be MUCH easier than Hana. Also it's a huge relief that he's a HUUUGE love bug. He's definitely a people-dog.

My poor sweet and gentle Hana has to now share her space with this furry ball of terror. I can't wait until he calms the F down a little in a few years. I hope... right? hahaha

All in all, HE'S adjusting well, so there's no problem there (yes, he still screams bloody murder in his crate, but so far not more than 5 minutes, but we'll see). Hana is unimpressed, and is probably confused, and we the humans are doing okay so far. Different dog, different problems, but we went into this one expecting the worst, so we're a little more prepared.
Hana just needs to come around, but that will take time and patience, and positive experiences, as is always the case with her with anything in life. :) Silly girl.. *heart*

HUGE thanks to Brad and Jen for making this happen. We hope Yezo does better with us and will make sure he's set up for success. :)

Also, we might change his name but not sure yet. I don't mind it, but Jun keeps wanting to say it the asian way "Eh-Jo" so it's confusing..

photo 5
photo 4
photo 3
photo 2
photo 1
Can you imagine what her face is saying to me? Love her to death.

Comments

• I just want to pinch his big fluffy cheeks. All the best Angela, and congrats again! Keep us updated with how integration goes!
  • Yezo looks great~! I'm sure Hana will adjust in time. It takes Saya while to adjust to new dog friends.

Hope to hear more on how he is doing.
  • @thegela That's awesome congrats. We would like to get a girl for Akuma so it would probably be easier for us to bring another Kai in but hopefully they will get used to each other soon. Get used to Brad and Jen saying the names the Japanese way I always get the dogs names wrong lol. Good Luck!
  • Poor Hana! "WTF?" Oh, just give him time, girl, he'll be your best striped pal! :)

Ejo's good- Its good to have a name not everybody has if it feels right on the tongue and he responds to it. There were FIVE Reilly/Rileys at the field I used to take her to when she was a puppy. It was always My Riley/Your Riley or Reilly Brindle/Riley Springer.

I look forward to reading how it all goes! It sounds like he had a great flight and likes you guys and your home and Hana. Best wishes! :)
  • Oh congrats :)!
  • Congrats! Love the pics, too--esp. the last one of poor Hana's face! She'll adjust eventually. You know, we've had our pup for a couple of months now, and Leo only just has accepted her. He moped around like we were the meanest people ever for quite awhile!

Yezo sounds like a little terror! It will be fun to hear more about how he progresses! And liking food at least makes training easy! ;)
  • Congratulations and best of luck!!
  • Congrats on the screaming monster! He sounds a lot like my Hokkaido...
  • Congrats!!! :-D
  • Ah wow, I was unaware Yezo needed to be rehomed. Is he still a HANA prospect?

In any case, he looks great! Congrats! :)
  • WOOOOOOHOOOO Hokka on the East Coast! I love his big fluffy tail. He looks good and as Hana gets used to him will open her up. Sachi seems indifferent to Nikki (the sheebs) but when Nikki sleeps overelse where Sachi reverts alittle. She needs her moral support dog, and I imagine Yezo being the ball of everything he is will be a guide for Hana.

Hana:

"Do you see what he's doing now? All in there with no dignity to find a quite place, ugh".

Or

"Pleassseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lets just leave him out back"

• Ejo's good- Its good to have a name not everybody has if it feels right on the tongue and he responds to it. There were FIVE Reilly/Rileys at the field I used to take her to when she was a puppy. It was always My Riley/Your Riley or Reilly Brindle/Riley Springer.
    Haha you're right.. I DO like the fact that it's unique!

"Do you see what he's doing now? All in there with no dignity to find a quite place, ugh".

Or

"Pleassseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lets just leave him out back"
    Hahah those are awesome captions!!

@zandrame yeah it just sort of happened fairly quickly! But yes, I plan for Yezo to be a part of the HANA project. It'd be a waste not to :)

Thanks everyone! I'll do my best to spam all of you and keep you updated on Hana vs Yezo :)

• Yay! Glad he's a major foodie (that makes things WAY easier) and that he's a people dog :) Hana will come around. She won't be able to resist the urge to want to play with him around the house when she's bored. :)
  • I call Goro and ChoCho by a million different names and they respond pretty well to them, so changing his name shouldn't be difficult. You could say Yezo + his new name together and slowly stop saying Yezo. He's a pup and he'll catch on quickly. :)
  • edited December 2013
    Yezo has sucked from day one with potty training, so good luck with that! Genko too, actually.
  • Congrats again!!! he sounds like a bundle of trouble!!
  • Congratulations! I'm excited for you. Yezo is super adorable.
    Yezo has no sense of calming signals whatsoever....
    Ha, Meitou doesn't read my older dog's signals well either (or he just doesn't care? He's kinda rude like that). He's pretty sure her "go the frick away" faces mean "let's play!" He play bows and everything.
    He is TROUBLE with a capitol T to say the least. He's already tall enough to counter surf, and Brad and Jen weren't kidding when they said he loved food. He LOOOOOOVEESSSS food. I can see him getting fat quickly. He's still a puppy and highly food motivated, so training him should be MUCH easier than Hana. Also it's a huge relief that he's a HUUUGE love bug. He's definitely a people-dog.
    Meitou is trouble, too. We joke about how he just yearns to be naughty, but he's actually pretty good (all things considering, lol). He went through a brief counter surfing episode, but he's toned that down quite a bit. But it was pretty funny when he stole my sister's omelet when she ran to the bathroom thinking it was safe (she should have known better; I told her....). Meitou is pretty food motivated....in the right setting. The house and yard are game for many treats, but walking and hiking it has become practically impossible to find a treat that he'll bother eating.

Meitou is also a pretty friendly pup. Sometimes too friendly. He likes children a lot, but doesn't yet understand the concept of being gentle with kids. And his love of having human hands in his mouth doesn't go over well. He's been pretty open to meeting new people, but he definitely prefers women to men (despite having daily interaction with both genders). Recently he's had a few episodes of barking at men, but part of that is because everyone thinks petting his head is awesome and he doesn't like strangers reaching for his head (love his neck and chest scratched). He also doesn't like anyone trying to put a collar on him (outside of me and some of my family members). But he still loves going out and meeting people (and dogs....ugh, he gets way too excited to greet other dogs; the reverse problem of when he was a puppy).
    he still screams bloody murder in his crate
    Meitou was pretty bad at first, but he doesn't cry much. I guess he didn't scream much, more howling/whining. Every now and again he'll cry a bit, but it isn't so bad.

Sorry to bring up Meitou so much. I thought the comparisons were interesting. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you have Yezo and I hope he and Hana can be great friends. And I look forward to more pics of both your awesome dogs. :)

@brada1878 That's interesting that Yezo and Genko both seem difficult to housebreak. Meitou was a dream to housebreak (after going through a BC that was devilish to potty train *shudder*)
  • edited December 2013
    Omg Hokka in Toronto??!!? :D. I was wondering who that little guy was in your fb pics!

I like Ejo,it sounds oldschool and I love all old school names. They just sound badass.
  • Congrats!! He's a gorgeous fluffy Hokka :)
  • Congrats Angie, I'm so jealous :-)
  • @whobitme No, I totally appreciate your input on how Meitou is! It kinda gives me a better idea on Hokkas in general :)

Yeah Yezo is super duper trouble. I think we were spoiled with Hana in some ways, because she's such a calm, stay-out-of-trouble-because-everything-scares-her type of dog, she NEVER got into any kind of trouble and she doesn't even really play much. (But when she does of course it's super cute and silly.)

So last night Hana growled at Yezo cause he was in her face, and he had this look of "shock" and a "how dare you" moment and he kinda growled back. Then when I was holding him, he growled at Hana when she got close. I wish one of them was at least appeasing so it makes this easier. I know @wrylybrindle is probably like "MMhmmm~ I warned you so" hahaha

But yeah... just taking it really really slow between the two of them.. I SO wish they would just love each other and I don't have to worry (as much) about them getting jealous or territorial.

Last night, Yezo was screaming SOOO much, my husband actually took him to a separate room to sleep with him. We were afraid of pissing off our landlords at 2 in the morning. :(
    I so can't wait until I don't need to really crate him anymore, or until he stops screaming when he's crated. I even stuffed a kong with some kibble, but that did basically nothing. After he finished, he started screaming, and then stopped and then started screaming again. I mostly feel bad for Hana who's probably like WTF all the time.

This morning, he knocked over the food bin and had a feast by himself. He INHALES food. He didn't go thru much of it, but enough so that when I took it away, he was burping like crazy.

On the PLUS side, when my husband took Yezo for a walk this morning, Hana got whiney and was probably wondering "what special place did they go to?" and wanted to go too, so THAT was interesting. So we followed them out to the street and she was all hyper vigilant (as usual), and it didn't last long before she decided she wanted to go back inside, but still, that was very very interesting in a good way. We'll see how long that lasts before she decides she doesn't care where Yezo and a human go.

Well... I suppose this is the start of a new adventure. :)
  • It's only the second day- youre doing fine! And remember what I told you- that you have the best support network available! We are here to help, and listen and support.

Some of my dogs dont like other dogs near their face when they are being restrained (like putting on collars or vests), so that's not shocking. Yours are still feeling each other out, so how they relate/treat each other is not permanent yet.

It's cool that Yezo likes walks :) and people so much! I wish I coudl come play with him.
  • @wrylybrindle Haha you're totally right. I know I'm being all, "gotta do everything PERFECTLY so they don't practice any bad habits and reaction" but the reality is that this IS only the beginning and shit's gonna happen sometimes. I must cut myself some slack. ALSO, thank GOODNESS for the forum. I've been going back on the older posts about behaviour and socialization all over again, and reading how others have integrated their dogs and stuff.

Well~ Yezo likes most people, doesn't really like tall/large framed people, and is a little apprehensive about strangers, but if you have treats, he warms up quickly because he's a fatty. Same with walks... kinda shy about walking but with treats it's okay. It's definitely different from Hana. I SUPER appreciate how food motivated it is, even tho sometimes it's really annoying. Lots of hand chomping and counter surfing and sticking his head in wherever my hand is. Even inside the food bin and oven. What a monster. SMH :T haha
  • Even if they aren't all super lovey, glued to each other they can still have a peaceful relationship. For the most part my dog's ignore each other except when presented with "strange" or the old Shiba gets into playmode. Then they are unit DOG. Even if they quietly exist with each other I would call that a win.

For the screaming at night have you tried a trick for pups with the ticking alarm clock near their crate and a stuffed dog mama. I have to imagine Yezo is over this stage but he just went from living with a pack to just one other dog. He might take comfort in thinking others are nearby. I know Sachi was fine being crated with brad and Jennifer but she put up a noisy yipping howling shit storm when I crated her by herself and I wasn't home. She was lonely in the strange.
  • @thegela I don't know if this would help, but I always kept a blanket over Meitou's crate until recently since he hasn't needed it. I don't know if it actually helped or not since it was there constantly from day one, but it might be something to try? Though I do feel like it helped some of the time. He also had a favorite squeaky squirrel that I put in with him at night. No idea if he played with it much, but he seemed to like having it in his crate with him.

I'm sure you will find something that works for Yezo (or whatever you decide to name him :) ) and Hana. My dogs have a tenuous co-existence, lol. They often do their own thing...except Meitou loves Amy too much. He often bothers her to try and get her to play. And while she tolerates him when he's calm she has no real love for him and prefers him not to be too close. She's old and her age has been catching up to her so she is in no mood for playing these days. So it can be a balancing act with two dogs at opposite ends of the age spectrum, but somehow I've managed so far. :)
  • Sheesh, sounds like you've got a brindle version of Katana!
    He was somewhat rude with dogs when I got him but learned pretty quick that not everybody likes to be whopped in the face as a greeting. He's still uber licky and will wash the other dog's muzzle and clean anybody's ears obsessively (even mine, something I am not fond of). He is very mouthy and has chomped down on me pretty hard a couple times but nothing bad yet. Because of that I don't let him interact with small children yet.

He's a super cuddlebug. Katana will just lay on your lap if you let him. He will squish up against you on the couch or bed. He loves meeting new people and being pet. He's a very social dog.

Katana is SUPER food motivated. He tried to steal from Conker once, but was schooled pretty good on that so he leaves him alone. Katana will still attempt to steal from Juneau and Sasha though, and they will let him, so most of the time I tie him up when I feed the other dogs so he does not bother them. He's a dork if I feed him in a crate so I don't do that.
    I don't tolerate dogs in my face when I'm eating and he seems to understand now that you stay away from me when I have food, and you might get a bit thrown to you.
    He likes to know exactly what I am doing anytime food is being handled though, and feels the need to stick his face into my business. He's jumped into the sink three times.
    Today he ate part of the storage bin I keep the dry food in but didn't get the food itself.
    Oh, and he eats things. It doesn't need to be food for him to consider it edible. (Anything that lands in his bowl will be promptly inhaled, even rocks.) Socks and gloves are a favorite, and any toy with sticky outy bits will be eaten. He can't have soft toys, only rubber ones. And he doesn't just chew on things, he tries to swallow them whole, so NOTHING can be left out.

Katana is very talkative, he yodels at me whenever I'm doing something or interacting with the dogs. He barks but not too much. He's also very overly dramatic. You so much as pinch his toes slightly and OH GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING!
    Which brings me to... The screaming.
    It's BAD. Not fun at all. He's gotten marginally better about it since I got him but, it's still pretty bad. He screams if I go out the side gate, screams if I leave him in the car (and will eat things, like seatbelts, if he's not in a crate), screams when I go to work, screams when I come home from work, screams if I go outside the fence, screams if I play with a dog and don't include him, screams if I put him in a crate, and nothing will stop it. Chews, toys, food, nothing.

I really hope we have the only Hokkaido screamers, 'cause that would suck if this is a breed trait. It's not something I want to go through again, especially since it's not yet over with Katana.
  • @Losech I guess I lucked out. Meitou isn't a screamer. He barks some, and he howls sometimes, but it's never been bad.
  • lol I remember when Goro was that food crazy! I kind of miss it. He's normal around his kibble now... I miss the Kibble Monster!
  • lol I remember when Goro was that food crazy! I kind of miss it. He's normal around his kibble now... I miss the Kibble Monster!
    The kibble monster isn't the kibble monster anymore?! Wow! :)

Leo is still pretty food crazy. And my Akita puppy is too, and she is also super toy motivated, so I hope to be able to harness all that....

end kai ken hijack..... :)

I'm enjoying reading about the Hokkas, though, so am interested in hearing how Yezo progresses.

I think, though, I've given up on my desire for a Hokka. I think it's too much dog for me....I should have known when someone called them Shibas on Steroids that it was probably a dog I would only have in fantasies! ;)
  • @shibamistress He's calmed down a bit about food, well mostly kibble. He's still a major foodie. He use to get excited about meal time, but now he just takes his time and doesn't finish his meals in one sitting. It could be the crappy weather we've been having or he really grew out of it. Still waiting to see.