Yamabushi no Hanzo -- (Updated 2014-Mar-04) Now with More Spam!!

tmdtmd
edited March 2014 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hi everyone, I'm so excited that we got Hanzo from the Kibou x Ayu litter born Sep 9, 2013. Due to a scheduling conflict I wasn't able to go pick him up from Brad and Jen's until Nov 18, but when I did it was amazing. Thanks so much to both of them for being such great people, with an awesome daughter who was as friendly as their Kai :)) I had a wonderful, albeit short visit. I apparently arrived and left in between 2 snow storms, so as far as I'm concerned it was ordained ;)

I'm going to post lots of spam...soon. It's been a crazy few weeks with the holidays and having a new puppy to chase around, but I have snapped several pictures and I just have to figure out which ones to post.

Hanzo's been such a great little man. I feel like Jen and Brad couldn't have picked out a better fit for us. He does great off lead near our house and good on the leash outside my office and has fit in fairly well with our dogs. Our akita is a bit of a grumpy old man, but Hanzo is pretty good about respecting his wishes.

I'll definitely write more as time permits and post more pictures soon, but here's a teaser. This is of him at my office, chillin' which seems to be his default mode. Almost everyone exclaims at how calm he is. They haven't seen the crazy zoomies he does in the yard with our other dogs, namely Meg the border collie/lab mix. He'll squeeze underneath the wooden staircase and *pop* out through the step and then blast around the fence and do it all over again. God, I love him!

Chillin' at the office

Comments

• Awww! He's too cute!! Congrats on finally getting him and can't wait to see more pics :)
  • Handsome Hanzo! Congratulations! I love watching all the pups grow up, and look forward to seeing more pics of him!
  • This is the cutest Kai Ken puppy!!! :) ENJOY him to the fullest ♥!
  • OooOOoo, adorable!
  • Hey! Hanzo! He's gotten even bigger! :)

Something I meant to tell you, David, but forgot... Hanzo is the first Kai pup we've had start lifting his leg *before* the 8 week mark. It blew me away when I saw it!
  • HANZOOO!!! :D Oh he's adorable!! Congrats @tmd on the new addition!
  • Cute little Kai!

LOL Brad, what a manly little dude! My Hokkaido still hasn't started lifting his leg, and he's 8 MONTHS!
  • sooo cute!!!
  • Thanks for the congrats, he's been really awesome.

Brad (@brada1878), that's hilarious about lifting the leg. Interestingly I haven't seen him do that here. Maybe it was snow related. Of course, the same day I said "Oh, he hasn't humped anything yet" to a coworker, he humped another coworker's 9 month old chocolate lab. Right on his head too, it was hilarious. So I fully expect him to start lifting now that it's been mentioned.

I will say that at his vet visit just a couple days after I got him home, his little boy balls were already visible and making their way back.
  • Congratulations on Hanzo! He's a super cutie. My Hokkaido (10 months?) took forever to lift his leg. Sometimes he still doesn't bother to lift. When he does, he cracks me up, because he delicately lifts his leg out behind him instead of hiking it up. :)
  • Okay, here are some additional photos of Hanzo, I'll try to list his age, he's been growing like crazy since we got him.

At Target, the Friday after we got him (10 1/2 weeks)

Untitled

The next day in the office where his crate was first set up, taking a nap in his wintry bandanna we got for donating to a local rescue at the vet's office

Untitled

Day before Thanksgiving, gnawing his latest "kill" (11 1/2 weeks)

IMG_0103

Same day, hanging with Auntie Meg, our border collie/lab mix

IMG_0145

Later that day, napping

IMG_0176

In Virginia Beach on Black Friday, he doesn't like sticks, he likes trees!

IMG_0186

Beach nose!!

IMG_0220

Playing fetch on the balcony of my work building (12 weeks)

Yesterday, in his Ruffwear WebMaster, with bells on!! Can't hear him coming or going otherwise; he's as silent as his namesake. (13 weeks)

IMG_0333

... and with Tips, our master hunter tabby

IMG_0330

And finally, since Kai puppy threads aren't complete without some zoomies!!!

• Awweee...he's already so handsome and I know will end up being quite the little stud :) I love the pic of him sitting beside Auntie Meg!
  • @tmd - I didn't know dogs were allowed in Target!!! SO cute
    I have to get Kiyoshi some ruffwear, that way when he goes to plow down and harass another poor pup I can just pick him up and pull him away. Good grief....lol

That pic of him with the stick is adorable! It's twice as big as him!
  • love the spam
  • I like Hanzo at the beach and snoozing in his bandanna! He's so cute!
  • @Dragonfly Yeah, most employees were okay with him in the store, but there was eventually one that asked us to leave. We got a bunch of good socialization in before they did though. It's hard to know sometimes, in many of the upper scale department stores they are fine with it.

I really like the Ruffwear harness. It's great to attach a long line to as well. He's not as thrilled about it, but I plan on associating it with our walks in the woods and that should up the value of wearing it.
  • I was wondering if you were going to post the stick picture that you were talking about on Saturday! He is so freaking adorable!
  • He's so cute! I love his expression with that stick. He looks like he's going to be a very handsome boy.
  • love the spam!!
  • Oh gosh, he's sooo adooable! I love his ears in the picture with his blue stuffie. Aww i just love kai!
  • Aww the zoomie video is great!!! Love the puppy size webmaster. He is a handsome pup!
  • It's been a while since I've visited the forum and even longer since I posted about Hanzo.

It seems like life is so full now having Hanzo around that most of what I do revolves around experiences I can have with him and the family. We've been going out of doors whenever the whether permits. Either wandering the property or at a few of the off-leash spots near our home. He's gone on an easy hike with us and other than freaking out when a runner rounded the corner from the opposite direction we were going, he did great sticking close and enjoying the scenery.

He's a dream with other dogs. He definitely still gets exuberant like a puppy, but he seems to navigate and adjust to the different personalities he meets. We go to a local park/trail that has off-leash days and he's always getting compliments. Sometimes he wants to follow them for a while because they are so much more interesting than I am, but after a little bit of separation he comes looking for me. It's so great to see his connection to me; even when he's having a great time flushing birds or squirrels or playing with other dogs, he doesn't wander too far.

Okay enough talk, here's the spam.

Standing next to an old chimney we ran across on one of our outings:

Hanzo-old-chimney

A look at his brindling:

Hanzo-Brindle

How he's looking right about now, very leggy:

Hanzo-side1

Hanzo-side2

Obligatory funny tongue shot:

Hanzo-tongue

On the move on a downed tree trunk:

Hanzo-tree-action

Incognito, he says it's duck season!

Hanzo-bunny
  • Very Pretty pup! Question? What harness is that? I see many people on the NK with it. Is it good?
  • Thanks!

That's the Ruffwear Webmaster 2 Harness. I love it and use it to tether him in the car. I also use it when we're hiking off-leash since it's easier to see him in the woods. Check it out here: http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2?sc=2&category=1131

He doesn't much like being picked up by it, but it's there if I need it. He's wearing an extra small at about 23lbs, but will probably need a small by the time he's full grown. It's got some reflective tape and I bought an LED light that I can switch on when it's fully dark out. Also, Hanzo can't back out of it like he's done once with another harness I have, not that he tries to very often, but it's nice to know he can't.
  • Hanzo spam = good. I love his brindle and black colors!
  • Awweee Hanzo looks so cute and happy. Lucky he gets to go on so many great adventures! :)
  • omg i remember when he was just a handful! he is looking good!
  • @Shikoku This is a Ruffwear fan club forum lol We love their harnesses and packs!
  • @Valkyrii I'll try to do better and keep it coming!

@mdokic I totally agree. He's okay on a leash, but *loves* roaming the woods. He's most at home in satellite orbit and I'm glad we're able to oblige as much as we are.

@cdenney Thanks! We think so too. My wife sent me this photo of him on the back of the couch, with the caption "Creepy!! And cute. How does he do it??"

Hanzo-creepy-and-cute

@Hinata23 Totally, I can't wait to get his first pack!
  • Such a beautiful, beautiful Kai. I literally "LOL'ed" with the Duck Season comment. :-))