NIPPO Classic 2014
  • The website has a new url www.nippoclassic.org

There's not much new contentwise at the moment, but there IS a "would you like to be contacted when we have a date/location" form, so I filled that out.

They don't list Hokkaido at the moment, but perhaps if there was a commitment by HANA people in advance to go, they could include them. The organizers seemed really excited about expanding the show and enjoyed seeing the other breeds, so I cant imagine they deliberately try to exclude hokka. I think they just didnt know that there are any.
    photo Picture 3_zps4y5sotml.png Kai to the Core!
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I'd be willing to bring Genko...
  • CaliaCalia
    Not sure if we'd be able to make it next year, maybe I could try to hitch a ride with someone, lol. Kind of hoping that they don't have it in Ohio due to that outbreak of a Parvo like illness, don't need that spreading to other states which something like this show could have the potential of doing.
  • LosechLosech
    I asked about them including the Hokkaido in my comment. I really doubt I could go, but I'd let someone take Katana for me if I couldn't.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I emailed them earlier, and got a very quick reply. They would be happy to include the breed this year, and I stated that probably no more than 2 would attend. I would be willing to go to see this (never been). Maggie specifically wants to know however, if our (Hokkaido) standard differs from the NIPPO standard like the NIPPO Kai vs KKA Kai standard. She said that created some issues.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
    www.hokkaidousa.wordpress.com
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-11-29 16:44:26
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @losech, I will!
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Please get him used to mouth being handled for teeth checks, and ball checks ;)
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • LosechLosech
    @lindsayt Sweet! LOL yeah, I will. He's pretty okay with being handled (as long as you aren't yanking on anything), but likes to nibble and lick if you touch his mouth.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Cool! Ok, I found the standards and read thru them. There is a height discrepancy similar the KKA and Nippo Kai standards, so the HKH dogs would be slightly smaller, but I still think it's worthwhile to exhibit them. It looks like the 2nd-3rd weekend of May will be the official date.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-11-29 16:43:21
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Not only was there a KKA/NIPPO discrepancy but there are/were some intense disagreement regarding which Kai the judge chose this year to "win" ;).

I won't get too much into it but I would guess someone wasn't expecting a considerable amount of competition to show up...

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• CrispyCrispy
    I'm going to go! I'll probably bring Nami (Kishu) with me, if anyone. TK might be too much in a crowd--even if it's NK people, if the New England meetup taught me anything. He wasn't awful and didn't seem to hate his life, but he didn't seem to enjoy it, either.

His teeth are also broken and his balls were taken away :p so it's not like I can show him.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Oh, and it will be in the Detroit/Chicago area.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • LosechLosech
    Heh yeah, I could definitely not go. Detroit is basically where my Mom lives, but that's a long drive for me, and I don't get many (any?) weekdays off work. Especially in spring/summer when we are super busy on the farm.
    So, you will get to show a Hokkaido Lindsay!
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-11-29 17:55:59
  • omgtainomgtain
    Are KKA Kai allowed at NIPPO?

Tain, Nare the GSD/Husky, and Tavi the Kaigirl!
  • KKA Kai can show at NIPPO Classic. We had several last time!

The only Kai issue I am aware of was the tongue spots, but Matsu didnt compete against anyone, so it didnt hurt him. Was there some other issue in the KKA vs Nippo standards that came up?
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-11-29 18:39:23
  • aykayk
    Teeth count.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Tain, want to carpool???
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • omgtainomgtain
    I was thinking the same thing Lindsay.. :P What could be more fun than a weekend full of adolescent NK?

Tain, Nare the GSD/Husky, and Tavi the Kaigirl!
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    That's funny. There were no issues with the Kai that won. There was more an issue of the judge with holding everything from the Kai and Shikoku. All the Kai and Shikoku exhibitors were very happy about the numbers that showed up.
    Stacey living with Tora, Kazue, Ritsu and Kuma the Shiba
    www.suteishiikennels.com

DSCF0686IMG_0940 - Version 2DSCF0714IMG_1151

10443860_10202258803333634_2133731540_n
  • Holding everything? I had to duck out early cause we woke at 4:30 am to get there. Can you elaborate please?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    "With holding" as in withholding placements
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    I might go. It depends. Dog shows kind of intimidate me (as far as actually showing my own dog). And it is pretty far away...
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • CaliaCalia
    I know with most of the Shikoku, they didn't have their tails up thus now showing the spirit the judge was looking for. The Judge was still lenient about it in that if the dog's tail was up during at least one of the times in the ring, he would accept it. But I don't think that was the case with most of the Shikoku, thus many weren't able to place.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    "Hi Lindsay,
    SInce we say we use Nippo standard, some of our Kai participants have been dissappointed when their exhibits are not placed. Judges say they are making 'allowances' for the differences, but we are hoping to be able to have something in the premium, which outlines the 'allowances' for breeds with both Nippo and other (japanese) registries.

SInce Hokkaido are such a small number, we would like to have a first experience work out for everyone."

From the Classic rep/host. Encouraging!
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Maybe I'll just bring Genko (Hokkaido) this year and no Kai. Or maybe I'll bring Nori (Kai) if she isn't in heat or with a litter - better count her teeth first tho!

As @ayk mentioned, the teeth counting thing was a problem for us with Ayu, but I was correct by Shigeru. I thought they didn't count teeth in the KKA shows, but they do. They're just not as strict as NIPPO.

I could bring Kishin again too... So we can make a spectacle again. lol
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    What about Akashi?
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    Is the number of teeth a big thing? Because I think Meitou might be missing a little one behind one canine. lol, maybe I shouldn't worry about taking him?
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • Akashi already won, so I don't think he can compete. He could show For Exhibition, I think.

I dont think Jeff is up for another dog show, so I will be looking to share driving/fuel with someone Northeasterly...I'd like to show Matsu again in the Big Boy class - Waka Inu 2, I think he'll be by then. He'll have to practice keeping that tail up, though!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @rafatturi Want to bring Akuma?
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-11-30 15:03:05
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Oh, yea, good call @lindsay ... Bring Akuma @ryanfatturi !!!

I can't say I blame him, but it'd be a shame if Jeff didn't go @WrylyBrindle
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I could take Akashi just for the hell of it... But, he won last time so I dunno if I can/would enter him again.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Well that sucks, if they win they can't go again? Guess I would be bringing Kurama next year if I go.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• lindsaytlindsayt
    It would take about 32 hours of solid driving to get there, but my route goes right thru Minneapolis. Maybe I can steal him...
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Aw man... Goro has a ton of spots on his tongue... :(
  • There is a huge difference between the AKIHO and NIPPO preferences for type when it comes to the Japanese Akita. I happen to have a boy who fits the NIPPO style better than AKIHO. >.>

However, I do see potential for a lot of issues if this ever "goes big time" since there is absolutely nothing stopping a tweenie or even American Akita from entering the show. I don't think the latter would win, but I'm sure people with purebred JAs would be pretty ticked if a tweenie won. Even if the dog does resemble the standard better, it is an understanding that only purebred dogs are allowed to compete. (eg. I could find a fantastic looking Laborador in a shelter, but without the papers to show he is purebred, rightly would not be allowed to compete in conformation.)

At the moment, they do not have any requirements about registries and in the case of the Akita which breed...
    「怪獣荘秋田犬」Kaiju Kennels Japanese Akita and Hokkaido, Claire Matthews
    http://www.facebook.com/PoetikDragon
    http://www.facebook.com/KaijuKennels
    http://www.kaijukennels.com
    Post edited by PoetikDragon at 2013-11-30 15:48:34
  • Dogs that have already won can be entered again. In fact, to finish a NIPPO-USA Champion it can take three or more wins (at three different shows/years) if the dog does not take Saikosho (best of breed).

Each class winner will be awarded points as follows: 1st place: 5 pts ~ 2nd place: 4 pts ~ 3rd place: 3 pts ~ 4th place: 2 pts. The points will be cumulative for following years. Upon the accumulation of 15 points, the dog will be titled NIPPO/USA Champion, "Meiyosho" (Honorable).
    Post edited by PoetikDragon at 2013-11-30 16:10:18
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    FYI, I am corresponding with the person organizing the Classic (Maggi Straus), about Hokkaido, so if anyone has questions about this breed and entries, I can include that in my correspondence (if you don't mind) so we all stay on the same page without unduly burdening her with lots of emails about Hokkaido. Thanks!
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • LosechLosech
    Oops, looks like Katana is missing a tooth, the one right behind the lower canine... Just one though. And ask about broken teeth. Katana munched one on a bone he found out in the field... It's the very farthest back upper right molar, you can hardly even tell it's broken unless you're looking directly at it.
    Bleh I have the Hokkaido problem child ><<div class="UserSignature">image
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    They cannot show is they are awarded a Nippo USA championship. It was my understanding from the organizers that the kai and shikoku were not awarded champion titles even though they were best of breed.
    www.suteishiikennels.com

• There was no Saikosho for the Kai and Shikoku last year. (And the judge did not do Jun Saikosho for the Akita.) So unless the Kai and Shikoku that won happened to already have points from previous shows, then they would not have become a NIPPO/USA Champion.
  • CaliaCalia
    I thought last year Akashi (kai) became a champ, or at least that was the impression after the show. Akashi won bob:

"Saikosho: The highest breed award given. An automatic 15-point NIPPO/USA Championship is awarded to the Best of Breed in each Breed at this event provided that there has been competition of 5 or more quality dogs in that breed, unless the judge determines that the Breed winner is outstanding."

Post edited by Calia at 2013-11-30 20:38:26
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I think due to some of the DQs, those dogs would not be included in the totals for their breeds.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • I'm going for sure this year! :)
    I'm going to try to convince some fellow Canucks to join too !
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Hey Beth,
    Regardless of results, I'm sure we all agree we had a blast and it was a success at our first showing :-). I only wish I could've been around when Kishin was being himself as the AKC judge decided to feel if his nuts were real and Brad had many such "moments" in and out of the ring.

@lindsayt - can you give Maggie a heads up that there'll possibly be another NKF group going to the show and get a head start to see what the group can do to contribute towards prizes? She mentioned it in passing last year, but it was during the day of the show and there wasn't much we could do to contribute by that time.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• I plan to go with Kiyoshi :) Plus it'd be fun to see all the other breeds..and more shikoku of course!
    photo Kiyoshi-SteveNakatani-2014-1165gnew_zps67b88604.jpg
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @crinson02

Sure! This will be cool!!!
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    And yes, neither Kurenai nor Akashi got Saikosho due to having a sufficient number of entrants, but too many of them DQ'ing as a result of tails dropped, missing teeth, etc.

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• Oh, and it will be in the Detroit/Chicago area.

Which? Because, um, that's a HUGE area! *lol* If it was Chicago I'd probably go--maybe even Detroit area, though I'm not a huge Michigan fan (I lived there for awhile).

I probably wouldn't bring Leo though--too hard for me to get there with a dog, and he's neutered and has tongue spots anyway. But I'd love to see all the other dogs and meet people in real life!
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • Tongue spots do not DQ a kai- the judge and I spoke about this WRT Matsu during his evalutaion. He said it's "not preferred" but not a DQ and that I should "find him a girlfriend with less spots." :)

To get to Detroit from here might actually be more direct/less hours than Maumee, if I cut through Canada...hmm. Is it difficult bringing a dog into/out of Canada?
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-12-01 14:46:06
  • We traveled with a dog, rats, cockatiel, and lizards (though we didn't tell them about the lizards) into and out of Canada with no problem... but that was pre 9/11. Not sure these days.
  • CaliaCalia
    Not sure about dogs, but crossing the Canadian border does require a passport now.
  • If I read things correctly, I should be able to get in and back out again with a passport and rabies certificates, but should bring my dog food in its original packaging.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @wrylybrindle

That is correct. When I go to Canada, I bring my passport and dog rabies certificate, and the dog food in cans and food bag package. They always ask if I bought anything, but you do not need to declare anything like dog food or things like that. Fresh fruits, booze, and meat are what they want to know about, and purchases over (I think) over 10,000.
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-12-01 17:36:45
  • TrzcinaTrzcina
    I would be so tremendously excited if this were in Detroit next year. Chicago... is probably too far for me to be able to justify going (given how expensive Chicago is to visit even briefly), when I don't have a dog and won't be able to get one for a few years yet.

But I can try to be helpful about border crossings!

As far as Canada, all you need is your passport (or an enhanced driver's license, not sure if all states offer those) and the rabies certificate really. In probably at least 10 times going in and out of Canada with a dog (sometimes two dogs, often a cat as well) they never checked the food or even asked about it. Sometimes didn't even ask to see the rabies certificate. Generally I get asked more questions coming back into the US than I do going into Canada.

Crossing at the Detroit/Windsor border can be a bit of a traffic jam, and taking the Bridge or the Tunnel are usually about equal in traffic (sometimes you can tell which one is going to be a bigger issue). You also are crossing through the downtown of Windsor and Detroit, respectively, but I don't think anyone is likely to get lost. You can also cross at Sarnia/Port Huron, but that is quite a bit farther north. But then, if the show is north of Detroit ("Detroit area" can mean many things) Port Huron might be good regardless. Just depends.

@shibamistress Just out of curiosity, what part of Michigan? And what was the problem with it, if you don't mind sharing? Just randomly curious.
    Post edited by Trzcina at 2013-12-01 22:51:33
  • CrispyCrispy
    I might be bringing a Shiba with me when I go!

There is a Shiba breeder who works a pet supply stand at our indoor flea market. We got to talking, remembered that we knew each other, and then started talking about the NIPPO show.

She said that there was someone who would handle her in the show, but the dog needed a ride if she (the owner) couldn't make it out there.

More excited now! \o/ I think it'll be a lot of fun. I regret missing last year. :,(
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • That's good info, @Trzcina! Thank you!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Detroit/Chicago might be a bit far, but I am definitely a maybe. ;-)

If there are going to be Hokkaido there, I might just have to make the trip, though!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • ceziegcezieg
    Detroit/Chicago is such a huge span of land... is that even a normal description that people use? lol.

I'd really like to go, and I have some good friends in Chicago that I've known since I was a youngling. Although, I don't think Ren would ever place due to the tail/spirit issue. She's too shy for that lol. I'd definitely bring her though :)

@sjp051993 Stacey I know you mentioned that tried to show Ren a few times. Any tips or was she trained for anything? She's slowly getting more confident, so who knows :P
    Ren, Kai Ken (f, intact) 02-01-2012
    Kirin, Alaskan Noble Companion Dog (f, intact) 05-04-2015
    Post edited by cezieg at 2013-12-02 20:17:36
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    She was shown at 4 months of age. She did ok then, but was very nervous. Mainly because she was being handled by someone she did not know. She has a beautiful natural stance so it would be just working on her confidence. Mainly a man in a suit wearing a ball cap staring her down.
    www.suteishiikennels.com

• NavyDogNavyDog
    Id like to go but I get transferred to VA in April and Ill be in school til June so it depends on all that. If i do go, i will definitely bring Yucca but ive been training her as a working dog so she has no show etiquette
    Post edited by NavyDog at 2013-12-07 10:12:40
  • Show etiquette is a relative thing :) this is all - NK so some spirit is expected. My own Matsu is a mountain man, and it kinda shows...
  • rafatturirafatturi
    Is there any new news on where exactly this will be? We might be able to swing Chicago for a quick weekend road trip but Detroit would be too far.
    photo 10428883_10202259399228531_564340254_n_zps82bfd9ba.jpg
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I don't believe it's been decided yet
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • I may have missed something- but where does it say that it will be limited to Detroit or Chicago. What about Ohio? I would like to go even possibly show, but I need to know the distance. Anyone near MD/DC/NoVA want to carpool :)?
  • Would LOVE to get a proper gold lead and collar from Japan for the show!

I'll need a size 57 collar for Saigo and the size 3 lead.

Anyone available to make a run to Adachiya? Anyone else want in?
    Post edited by MapleTwinkie at 2014-01-17 14:16:41
  • DragonflyDragonfly
    I'd like one! I was just thinking this earlier in the week..I'm not familiar with the sizes though so I'm not sure what I'd need.
    photo Kiyoshi-SteveNakatani-2014-1165gnew_zps67b88604.jpg
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    @MapleTwinkie @Dragonfly

I just call Adachiya now, and they send the items to my house COD. They collars/leads have a 1 month waiting list at the moment, so order in advance. I'll order for you if you want.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Which kind would be good for Shiba and Kai?
    info@hokkaidoken.org
    www.hokkaidoken.com
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    Premium show slip leash http://laed.e-shibainu.com/new22/fusa/kuro-h-640.jpg
    Show slip leash http://laed.e-shibainu.com/new24/tenrankailead/h-kuro-640.jpg
    Basic slip leash http://laed.e-shibainu.com/shiba3-j/b640.jpg

If you use a collar/leash combo for show, then the one with the chrysanthemum ring stud that Adachiya hand crafts are the best IMO. You can order it in just about any color or size. http://nihonken.blogspot.jp/2013/10/adachiya.html
    Just measure your dogs neck (a tight fit, one that you can get a few fingers under, but not your whole hand, just like with a normal collar) in centimeters. Collars can be used with this lead http://laed.e-shibainu.com/new22/fusa/kuro-t-640.jpg

E-shiba and Adachiya do NOT ship overseas, so you'll need to get someone in Japan to order, and then ship to you.
    Post edited by TheWalrus at 2014-01-20 19:38:23

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion