STOLEN Akita Puppy - Santa Rosa CA

edited November 2013 in General

This is my friend's new import. Its so very heartbreaking! The yard was secure. Police say that the thief jumped her fence and took her out of the kennel. They think she was taken as bait for dog fights.

Thieves are stupid... they brag and show off... maybe somebody has seen or heard about her.

Please share this post and help bring her home!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=231962630313153

Comments

• Shared with the Northern CA Akita Club/Meetup

will pass to the Northern CA shiba community as well.

• Sad! Shared on my facebook and on the Facebook Nihon Ken Forum as well.
  • Shared on Tumblr because I know people out west on there than on Facebook.
  • Oh, that's heartbreaking! I hope she's found, but it doesn't sound good, does it? :(
  • Poor dog and owner. :( I hope she is found and the thieves are found too. I hate people who steal pets disgusting!
  • Is this puppy microchipped? Selling stolen puppies seems highly likely...so sad.
  • I'm sharing on the NK Rescue page (I haven't updated it in forever :(), just to get some exposure. I'll share it on my FB wall.

@Trzcina - What's your tumblr? I'll share your post to try and boost it.
  • @Crispy it's winawinadajcie
  • Her owner says she was not chipped. I am positive that she needed to be chipped in order to fly from Japan, but she can't find a microchip number on the customs/quarantine paperwork or no longer has the papers. She was going to be chipped at her vet checkup on the 20th (today) if not already done.
  • Here is a poster people can put up at local businesses if they're in the area.

• edited November 2013
    I live in the area, I will also keep a look out. Makes me sick to think someone could do this. Any info would be helpful, for example what area of town was the puppy taken,or why you think the puppy may have been stolen for bait.
  • This is really sad! I hope she comes back home safely.

But at the same time I have to wonder why a 10 week old puppy was left alone outside. "Secure" or not. (I'm not blaming anyone! I would just be too paranoid to leave a pup outside unwatched.)
  • Actually, this whole thing made me even more careful and paranoid than before. Zora is super cute, and the other day, I started to think...what if someone just tried to take her? I'm always super careful about not leaving her out in the yard unattended (or just with Leo) because of coyotes anyway, but you know, sometimes I do run back into the house for a couple of minutes while she's out, and after this, I thought, no, absolutely not, because someone could easily get over our fence and grab her. :(

Anyway, my heart just breaks for this person--how horrible this must be. I'm really hoping this pup will get back home.
  • edited November 2013
    I don't know the exact layout of the yard or the kenneling situation. I know Koyuki was in a latched kennel in the back but not why, for how long, if it had a doggy door into the house, if the owner was home, etc. Frankly, why doesn't matter, it doesn't change what happened. Questioning and criticizing the owner about it, who I am sure is already wrought with guilt and blames herself, would serve no purpose but cruelty.
  • Ugh. I hope her ears stay floppy for awhile so she is recognizable. :(

I've already told myself if I ever have to leave Tavi unattended, Nare will be with her.
    It would be so easy for someone to break into my car and take her if i had to run into the store.. not with a Shepherd who really likes his car though.
  • I hope this pup gets back to the owner. Shared this on instagram
  • Are they able to go around and knock, door-to-door, at neighbors' homes?

If she was in a secured, kenneled backyard, and was taken so quickly, I would suspect an informant... Someone who had visual access to the layout and contents of the yard (perhaps aural, too? Are the dogs barkers?) and knew when to strike.

It's a terrible thought, and would make me incredibly paranoid. But if your friend doesn't know her neighbors very well, now might be a good time to start.

I hope she is recovered safely, soon.
  • things like this happen in my area a husky puppy and several pits and yorkies were stolen from my area as bait dogs...My area has heavy activity for fighting dogs and breeding them, when miyako was younger (3rd day i had her) people would follow me when I would have her in my arms and there has been reportings and sightings in my yard and other neighbors yard of teenagers who also fight dogs basically "yard hopping" luckily miyako is heavy and never left unattended I do get asked about her by those who do fight dogs and ask how much she cost etc...but luckily no one has ever attempted to take her idk what i would do if that happened...I feel so sorry that this pup is missing. It wouldn't help much being that I mainly know people out here in the east coast but I did share the missing ads on my facebook page as well maybe if I added this image on my instagram and hashtag the post so this way other people around the world will possibly find the image and help witht this search?
  • edited November 2013
    @akinno, in areas where dog fighting is prevalent, you have higher reported cases of missing pups and small dogs from proximate neighbourhoods. Crack heads and other low life shits who do nothing else but scour backyards get paid for each little dog they bring back. Puppy mills will also sell their pups to these people, as well as unsavoury back yard breeders for a few bucks a dog. Dog fighting is everywhere, just google "dog fighting and anycity", and likely something will pop up.