Interested in a 2014 Shikoku Ken Calendar? Now available!

As my personal fundraising project for the North American Shikoku Ken Club, I am coordinating the production of a FIRST breed-exclusive calendar consisting only of Shikoku Ken for 2014 (it’s likely the first of its kind in North America). I would even venture to guess it isn't common in Japan. If any of you are interested in participating and contributing pictures of your dogs in the calendar, please e-mail me at jjames79@gmail.com with the subject line: "Shikoku Ken Calendar" with the following items: 1.) your high-resolution pictures of your Shikoku, 2.) their “official” and unofficial call names, 3.) your full name, 4.) and your top 3 months you would want your dog to be in. If you don’t have high resolution photos, that’s okay, send me camera phone photos. However, just know that the quality of your picture will dictate how big we display it on the calendar. High quality gets bigger real estate on the camera.

We will produce these calendars and sell them as a way to generate some money for the North American Shikoku Ken Club's preservation/import efforts. Picture submissions are due by the end of November. I will send out reminders as well.

Jesse

Comments

• I don't have a Shikoku - yet! - but when/how would you be advertising the calendars? And roughly how much are you going to charge for them?
  • Great questions,
    I'll be putting the calendars up via our Café Press website http://www.cafepress.com/NorthAmericanShikokuClu along with other North American Shikoku club merchandise.

I need to check past calendars we did for Nihon Ken, but I believe it was around $25-35 dollars. I will have to double-check. Proceeds would go towards the club's mission to preserve the Shikoku Ken's bloodlines by importing and establishing a diverse genepool in North America.

Jesse
  • I like this idea! I'd buy one :)

I'll have to see if I can get any good pictures of the little man..he just doesn't hold still long enough.
  • The Shiba Inu Forum may be doing their calendar as well.

Shiba Scouts Rescue has a calendar.

Also, Two Dog Farms Jindo Rescue has collaborated with another East Coast Jindo Rescue to put out a calendar. (Rosalind Behenna, Two Dog Farms Rescue, is a member of the Nihon Ken Forum)
  • Yes, we have a Shiba Inu forum calendar too!

I don't have time to do this right now, or I'd organize it, but we should do a Nihon Ken forum calendar next year. I'd be up for organizing it next year--just don't have the time to do it this year.
  • I had been thinking about doing a Kai one, but never got around to it. I was going to have them printed up and then mail them out. Better price that way and the money was going to go back to the forum. Will have to plan for next year.
  • edited November 2013
    You know, Finnish Nihonken club will publish calender which includes all six breeds ;).
  • I had been thinking about doing a Kai one, but never got around to it. I was going to have them printed up and then mail them out. Better price that way and the money was going to go back to the forum. Will have to plan for next year.
    If you want to plan something for next year...either just a Kai one or an all NK one, and need help, I'd be happy to help. It would be fun....On the Shiba side we had people submit photos and we voted on them, which was fun.
    You know, Finnish Nihonken club will publish calender which includes all six breeds ;).
    Will they ship internationally? If you have more info., let us know. that would be cool!

On another note, we usually make calendars as gifts--my University printing will print them pretty cheaply, too. They make pretty fun gifts.
  • The price is 15e (about 20$) and shipping to US would be about 7-10e. Subscription ends tomorrow. I could do the shipping if someone wants it.
  • I'm going to submit a bunch today. They aren't great--I'm not an awesome photographer, but I figure there's no such thing as too many pictures to choose from. Better too many than not enough, right??
  • Bumping this up as the deadline is approaching and there's only 1 week left.
  • Hi everyone,
    As an update I've received photos from 4 people so far that would cover 4 months :-/.

I've been remiss about reminding people about this but please send me pictures of your dogs if you want them showcased in the calendar. If I don't get enough dogs to cover a full year's worth by 12/15, I may postpone this endeavor to a mid-year calendar.
  • I can send you 800 more pictures of TK. He's already been internet famous. You can make a whole calendar out of him. He won't mind. :p
  • I have a zillion cell phone pics...I'll just have to carry my actual camera around with me for the next couple days ;) It's gloomy outside but I can probably get a couple decent inside pics
  • Well, it couldn't wait any longer but a big thank you to all of you who sent in your pictures. The calendar is finished!

You can purchase it via this link. And now, I go to bed.

http://www.cafepress.com/northamericanshikokuclub.1219430832

Jesse
  • It looks great! :)
  • Hate to bump a long dead thread, but is a 2015 calendar planned? I love my 2014 so much.
  • Hhahaha, thanks for reminding me.:) It is planned. I'll start the submission process after I get through this UKC dog show:).

Jesse
  • Woo! You're brilliant :D I was getting worried now it was sneaking down to November. I mean, I had a back-up plan of a calendar with 12 months of Yuuna but... a little variety is nice now and then.