Australian Shepherd

edited April 2008 in Other Breeds

Oh my, Errik and I were at the mall today which happens to have a puppy store in it. I would never shop at one but can't help but go see and/or play with the puppies. There was this beautiful australian shepherd there, 2 months old male that I just wanted to sneak out and take home. I could completely understand why people buy dogs on impulse..until I think of how inbred this dog might be, what kind of genetic problems will there be, etc. Easier to just play with the pup then leave them there.

Though I love how most shepherds look I'm kinda turned off by them. I've heard they smell more than the average dogs, hyper as heck (because they are bred to be working dogs) and sheds like a maniac. But is it like the shiba and other Japanese breeds? Reading up on them can turn any person off unless you've experienced their positives first hand. So maybe they would be fine for me to handle but the reading up on them just seems like such a hassle?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    i've found that if an aussie does not have a 'purpose' for the day, it goes crazy with energy unspent and one of my fosters (a aussie/border collie cross) would snap at us and try to herd us when it got bored.. it was actually incredibly annoying.
  • edited November -1
    Lol exactly what I'm talking about. But if given a purpose, would it actually be no harder than a shiba would be?
  • edited November -1

Like other working dogs, im sure if it got enough daily exercise, it would be a great pup.

• edited November -1
    Yeah, but they sure get a bad rep just because most people who own them don't give them enough exercise.
  • edited November -1
    They don't smell any different than other dogs, and while they shed all the time (less if you keep them brushed), it's no more - total - than a japanese breed does its few times a year. We have 2 border collies, one is prone to being more active - if not exercised, he tends to walk around, and when he meets new dogs, he herds them - mostly going around them in circles. However, if we take him for a run, or some other sort of exercise, he calms down pretty well. The other bc is almost always calm. The only time he gets excited is when playing ball. They can get obsessive about certain things (usually a ball, something like that). They are very trainable though, and if you are willing to put in time to train them, and exercise them, they can be exceptional dogs. I really like border collies and aussies, and would like to do more herding training with mine. We've been taking them to doggie daycare during the day, and he is totally chill the rest of the day.
  • edited April 2008
    good point about the BC - the aussie/bc/heeler mix i fostered was VERY
    obsessed with a squeeky tennis ball!! it was a little unnerving.