Yume at 9.5 months

Just thought I would give a quick update on Yume. She is almost 10 months now and doing well. We were a bit worried because her heat came quite late, just after 8-months, but the breeder told us this was normal with dogs from the Chitose line. Seem a bit weird to me but he said the Chitose line matures slower?? Anyway, her heat is ending just in time for winter so she can once again romp around in the snow off leash.

Our biggest challenge in owning a Hokkaido so far is her strong prey drive. When she is outside she goes into full hunting mode and especially goes nuts for Bighorn Sheep, I am not sure why but she can smell them for pretty far off and just goes bezerk. She is pretty good with most dogs, but we get worried because she would never think of backing down from a fight. The fear has been bred out of these dogs and they will literally take on anything. The second challenge is just her being so mouthy, she is getting better but still wants your arm, hand ect.. in her mouth.

Anyway, here is a picture of her from yesterday and yes it gets pretty cold here in November!!

RIMG0143

Comments

• Big horn sheep? Meichan is so jealous :-)
  • She is gorgeous!
  • She is looking really nice. And about the heat, I wouldn't say that it came late. I know many females who had their first heats around 12 months. I', jealous that you have so much snow.
  • She looks great! Sounds like she's a handful, but still wonderful! :)
  • Stunning.
  • She is looking great!
  • she is so beautiful! I love her ears, they remind me of a polar bear.
  • She looks great Jeff. The breed's been bred to be what she is. There's no changing that.
  • pretty dog!
  • @thewalrus Yeah, she is a little brat, but we get along. She now is a lot calmer sometimes and also finally enjoys being pet, when she is tired anyway. I think we just need to work on recall (doesn't everyone?) and also how she deals with strangers. We don't know a lot of people so when we do have that rare visitor to the house she gets too excited and is just a pain in ass for our guest. I guess we need to make more friends!!
  • waw, she is so pretty!!
  • Yume is all grownz up!

Can't believe you guys have snow there already! We're almost there, I'd say another few weeks for us here in Ontario. Saigo's winter coat is coming in fast and furious, I brush him a bit every few days and definately noticed the thick undercoat. He's looking like a big furball.

I thought Saigo's prey drive was bad, it's no where compared to Yumes! He chases rabbits and squirrels, but mostly leaves other animals alone. That's great though, Yume will keep you guys safe from big bad bears !! ;) Hope all is well with you and Kazuko!
  • Yumi looks so beautiful. :)

I can't wait for the snow we had some light flurries, but nothing sticking..
  • @mapletwinkie Yume didn't really seem to "blow her coat" she just seemed to shed ALL summer long. I think her fur is growing back now, she is going to need it with the weather here. All is well here right now, still adjusting to Calgary, but so far it has been nice (It has also been summer!!). Would love to see a picture of Saigo.
  • she's beautiful!!
  • Glad to see a Yume update. She's always so pretty.