Japanese Akita Coat Colors and Genetics [INFOGRAPHICS]

I've been working on these aids for educational purposes. I started out doing some genetics stuff, but got sidetracted by making variations on color/pattern cause it was fun. Also because @timkim didn't like that I was using a medium red brindle as the example for brindle, and he wanted me to use a black or silver one... lol. ;)

And this is a work in progress preview of the next part... I'll be making a bunch of punnet squares. Oh boy, fun! ;)

NB: I decided to refer to brindle as K instead of kbr for two reasons. First, because of the article posted a while back indicating that K (black) may actually be expressed as brindle in Akitas. Second, because it is easier to read and understand this way; the letters were visually lost in the brindle pattern. Likewise, I know that the k (non-solid black) gene does not directly cause red, but for all intents and purposes within the breed, it is red.

Comments

• Dont have time or genetics knowledge to comment deeply beyond what you and I have already discussed on these graphics in fb- you know I like em and find them clear and appealing, but I just have to take a sec to express my delight at "intents and purposes" - instead of "intensive purposes"- one of my many grammar peeves. Well played! :)
  • LOL I've never heard "intensive purposes"... silly people.
  • Yaaay!!!!! :D
  • damn great work.
  • I just got smarter! thanks!! :D
  • Looking good, but red in Akitas is actually sable (Ay) and it is dominant gene, not recessive :) Could also say that brindle is not an actual color, it is a pattern and how it shows depends on the A locus. With Akitas A locus is Ay and then brindle comes out.

Great work though! If you want help with that I know one really good expert on dog color genetics, Liisa Sarakontu :) She can help you on this.
  • I think poeticdragon covered that by saying,
    Likewise, I know that the k (non-solid black) gene does not directly cause red, but for all intents and purposes within the breed, it is red.
    I think the audience is JA folks who are new to coat color genetics and need the layers visually broken down for their dogs.

More expansive explanations are already available on the web that include stuff which applies more globally across the dog breeds. ie. http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/

• edited October 2013
    @Tensai Read my note at the bottom, and also, @ayk's excellent explanation.

Japanese Akitas are all homozygous AyAy so every JA that has kk will be sable (red). Therefor all we have to be concerned with is the K Locus.
  • My mind was blown when I read the article about brindle being K (black) in some dog breeds. It makes sense now, why the Kai (an all brindle breed) is not always black brindle.

This is a really great infographic! Good job! :)
  • Can you explain how that white can be correct? If it was indeed a recessive trait then both brindle and red would show over the white. I thought White was a different set of colours all together simply "covering" the red or white (so a white dog is either red or brindle, but covered by white)
  • Yes, white is recessive, and yes, it is a different set of genes entirely, covering the dog's true color pattern. White is controlled by the E Locus, and brindle/red are controlled by the K Locus. That's why there are two pairs of genes for each genotype, not just one pair.
  • edited October 2013
    Oki, thanks :D Love the graphics by the way. Especially the different "shades" chart.
  • Red is controlled by A Locus (But as said, all Akita are "Ay")
    Brindle by K Locus (dominant gene)
    But there is no scientific proof for the exact location of the white gene in japanese dogs. White is always a extreme dilution in japanese dogs and never a pure white as we can see on S Locus. Recent researches tend to say that it is not on the E Locus but in another one. However, it works the same way as describe.

But I'm not agree with your "dilution", because there is no dilution gene in Akita. Brindle is always black, never blue (genetically). It's the position of the stripes and the intensity of the red which make the fur look like blue... But it is not.
  • aykayk
    edited October 2013
    @sarako With regards to the white gene, it's important to look at the dog and see if it's really a white or really a pale red. That would give mixed up results, not finding "e" when DNA tested.

Here is an example of a pale red JA who has little/no pheomelanin but still has black whiskers. What causes this pale red hasn't been pinpointed to a locus. Some people have started to refer to it as the theorized I locus. It's akin to the greys you see in Siberian huskies - something washes out the red pigments but leaves behind the black pigments.

I thought there was research literature about the "e" in JAs? But I do know that @poeticdragon did DNA test her white JA and a friend's known white carrier as a control to see if the "e" test works or not. I think I challenged her to a bet on this. :-D

The "e" does apply for her population.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm fond of color genetics, and I already known the difference between pale red and white dogs ;)
    We can't make the mistake when seeing the dog as puppy : it's completely different.
    I would like to do tests on my own dogs (I have a white carrere male). Someday maybe.

There are some lines about that here : http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/albino.html

I have my own theory about color intensity. But quite hard for me to explain in english.

But one thing is sure : Color's Locus only determine the main colour. Variations are determined by a lot of other genes.

Not in Akita, but in Shikoku ken, we have some surprises with testing color !

• @sarako - Here's an abstract to the research article that explored coat colors in the Akitas (Japanese Akitas).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21321476

They mention the mutation "R306ter in the MC1R gene", also known as the "extension" locus.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks for the link !

The full article is very interresting... So... you are right for the E Locus ;) My fault :P
  • These are really cool! Visually a lot better-looking than most punnet squares (and such) that I've ever seen!
  • @sarako - I missed reading this part of your post:
    Not in Akita, but in Shikoku ken, we have some surprises with testing color !

Could you elaborate?

My malamute friend and I believe the existing agouti series test offered by various labs is not specific enough to determine between agouti (ag) and black/tan (at).

• I think so too.

A dozen of Shikoku dogs was tested for the Agouti Locus. And we have various results :
    aw/aw (ok, black sesam dogs)
    Ay/aw => Black sesam and sesam dogs
    Ay/Ay (!!!) => sesam dogs (quite dark...)

Probably japanese sesam color have a specific allele.
  • I dont know if I am wrong but from the photos i have seen online usually females tend to have lighter red coat compared to the males especially in Europe.
  • edited October 2013
    @Sarako I have personally paid for multiple JAs to be color tested now -- hardly enough to call a formal study, I will grant you -- but every dog that is white tested as e/e and every dog that has had white offspring tested as E/e. The dogs who tested as E/E have not had any white offspring.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that my American Akita who is white is NOT e/e. I think she is extreme spotting. Or maybe she's both. But I haven't tested her (no reason to).
  • Cool! I love the charts--they look great!

• edited October 2013
    I dont know if I am wrong but from the photos i have seen online usually females tend to have lighter red coat compared to the males especially in Europe.
    Dogs tested are not only european ones ;)

@poeticdragon : You did a great job with your testing. And I'm happy that somebody does it.

• @poeticdragon

really great read and thank you for doing this great job!!!