Akuma got into a fight...

edited September 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
When Akuma and I were walking in the woods today Akuma found a raccoon in the cattails and started a fight with it I presume. I couldn't see Akuma so I called to him and heard a ruckus and started plowing through the cattails to find out what was going on to find Akuma latched onto this big raccoon throat. at some point Akuma let go and the raccoon came back at him so I kicked it and stabbed it with my knife. Akuma has some small bite marks on his face and a scratch above his eye and the raccoon unfortunately wobbled off and died. Akuma is doing well we treated the bite marks with antiseptic and he is up to date on his shots. This is the first time for either of us that we got into a fight on a walk.

Comments

• We're taking him to the vet in a little bit to get everything checked over.
  • Oh, Akuma! Good luck at the vet- Im sure you are up on your rabies shots, right? I think @droberts Tyson killed a raccoon too.

How scary at the time, but I hope Akuma is all right, and that you havent been scratched or bitten yourself :( Rabies shots for people are pretty involved.
  • Yes, he's up to date on rabies shots. Ryan didn't get bit or scratched, good thing he had a knife on him. Akuma is resting now that the adrenaline is all worn off. We have an appointment in about an hour at our vet.
  • Wow! I hate raccoons. Back on the farm one got into our turkey pen overnight and killed about 20 poults just for the hell of it. I found them early the next morning, and the thing lunged out from under the hutch, hissing and it was huge. It took 2 bullets to kill it, and mad respect for tackling one of these nasties with only a knife! I'm glad Ryan wasn't bitten, and that Akuma was right on it. Good dog!
  • edited September 2013
    Yikes! Happy to hear both of them are ok. I hope Ryan kept the coon to make a hat out of him for Akuma to wear! :)
  • LOL @brada1878! And I'm also glad everyone's ok...silly Kai, starting fights with raccoons ;)
  • "...to make a hate out of him..." best typo ever.
  • Glad everyone's okay! Raccoons can definitely be nasty...
  • You may want to see if animal control can recover the raccoon's body and test it for rabies.

Discuss w/ your doctor if you should get rabies shots, in case you were exposed to the raccoon's body fluids (blood, saliva, etc.)
  • Koda didn't start a fight with one but got attacked by one last year. He jumped into ivy near a creek and a female jumped on his back. It was nasty but thankfully only I got scratched. I hate any animal with thumbs who could bitch slap you.

Raccoons have more than rabies though. They have tons of worms like roundworms. Their saliva is nasty. Glad you're going to the vet.

I automatically thought he got into a fight with a dog when I saw the title. Not sure what would've been better. :-/
  • @ tjbart17 lol animals that can bitch slap you hahaha. I bitch slapped that raccoon.
  • Rabies shots for people are pretty involved.
    I've gotten rabies shots as a kid after being bitten by rabid cat no fun..Luckily they caught the cat.

So glad Akuma is safe! Saya isn't fan of raccoons she chased a juvenile one up my pear tree when one was eating the pears.
  • Ok we got back from the vet and Akuma has a pretty bad bite on his left side and on his leg. He has a big scratch on his face and a couple of minor bites on his muzzle. The vet said he should be fine and gave us so pain meds and antibiotic for him. I wasn't able to find the raccoon in the cattails but those are ten feet tall and there is a lot of them. With stabbing him and slashing him plus Akuma biting him i'm sure its dead.
  • @rafatturi You're brave! I would've stood there and screamed!
  • edited September 2013
    Glad to hear everybody is okay. Were you inspired?

Man saves dog from raccoon.

Jesse
  • @rafatturi Did they tell you to watch out for anything? Or de-worm him? I'm so paranoid about raccoons from last summer. I seriously hate them.
  • @CrimsonO2 That's hardcore!
    You do what you have to do to protect your dog.

@tjbart17 The biggest thing we're looking out for is infection in the puncture wounds. We need to clean them twice a day. Besides that, they did a great job flushing/cleaning the wounds, gave him a rabies booster (he was up to date) and checked his temperature (no fever). He's on worm preventative already. So just watching him and see how he does, how he acts and how the wounds heal. He's been resting a lot today but is still a sweet, happy boy wagging his tail and wanting to cuddle up with us.
  • @rafatturi I'm sure he's gangster like his lil sis. lol He probably made that raccoon his bitch.
  • So glad he is safe.

Yeah I saw that video crazy, but I guess when a crazy raccoon is on your dog you'll do what you have to do to protect him/her.

Luckily you had a knife with you make sure you keep that knife just in case!

I have a knife I need to fix it up sharpen and stuff before able to use..

After seeing this video I have much more respect for raccoons tough critters. D:
  • Akuma has been doing great. He started putting pressure on his bit leg last night and has pretty much acted like normal today except that when he goes outside he seems to want to track/hunt even more. I wonder if he thinks the raccoon is still out there are he wants to finish him off? ha The hard thing is trying to get him to take it easy. His wounds look good, no sign of infection and healing up.
    @tjbart He had it by it's throat so he wasn't messing around. He could have used some monster back up with the mean thing though ;)
    @saya Yeah, they are mean creatures and they'll kill just for fun. Akuma was a tough boy.
  • Wow, glad he's ok! How scary! Raccoons are pretty aggressive....I wouldn't want to tangle with them. We do have them here, but not a lot--I've only seen a couple as roadkill and they were really little (not like the giant monsters I've seen in the midwest).

That coyote/raccoon video was something! But damn, our coyotes are way more buff than that! ;)
  • A couple of years back, maybe within a year or two after getting Yoshi, we had a raccoon problem here in L.A. Walking Yosh around the neighborhood at that time was a pain in the butt as he was always tracking and trying to hunt them down.

From what I've read, raccoons can take on a dog up to 4 times it's size, but I suppose that also depends on the breed it goes up against.
  • edited September 2013
    @Shibamistress coyotes I've seen have been that size though maybe they were young coyotes still growing and maturing. I don't go out purposely looking for them just quick glimpse.

Yeah raccoons in my area had one that was too friendly to people went right up to my door like It wanted food or something. I yelled at it from a window and it stayed. When I spotted it down stairs I tossed icecubes at it to try scare it off nothing. D:

I dunno if someone was feeding it or some crazy cat lady feeding stray cats or what could been rabies animals act odd. I seen video of a rabid cat and it is scary. I been bitten by an rabid cat as a kid was too trusting of cats at that age.

Those shots are fun.. O_o

Dad was able to shoot the nuisance raccoon at a distance. Coarse type of guy to not think he just tossed it in couple trash bags and put in trash can.. :(

I wished he took it in to see if it was rabid or just an odd acting coon.

I'm not fan of people who feed coyotes, coons, alligators and stray cats.. Grrr!

I don't think Saya would have chance with a raccoon..

My past three dogs two boxers and a catahoula mix had cornered a opossum once when we had lived in Louisiana. It played dead and me and mom was able to get the dogs in the house while they were not sure what to do with the limp white thing.
  • Hey guys. Akuma is healing very well. He looks funny with shaved patches on him but it kind of reminds me of the kids in the dubstep scene where they shave patches of their heads. Maybe Akuma is going to be a d.j. The first day when Akuma went to the vet they had to squirt antibacterial stuff in all of his wounds and the poor guy took it very well. I thought it was gross how when they sprayed in one hole it came out the other and made a big pocket. After the first day Akuma was walking around and being more like himself. He doesn't like hot presses or getting his wounds cleaned with the wipes. It's not that it hurts him it's that he doesn't like things touching him he freezes and looks at us with shame. Goofball.

As far as racoons go they are cute but can be really mean I wouldn't want to tangle with one again. If I had property and saw one on it I would either trap it or shoot it depending on the situation.
  • Glad to get an update and hear he is healing! (And as for flushing out the wounds, yeah, been there and done that too many times, and it is wierd...though I am, sadly, kind of used to it now.)

But yeah, I don't blame you about the raccoons. they are mean mofos for sure! ;)
  • Akuma's a tough guy- Im so glad he's healing up!
    Little kiss on the head from me...
  • Glad to hear he's doing better!
  • Glad he's ok!! Go tough guy! Kisses to half-bro :D
  • Wow, he really got bitten up! Glad he is being a good boy for the Vet :)
  • AkuBOOMa! (his dubstep DJ name)