Japanese akita standard

edited September 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/NorthernBreed/JapaneseAkita

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows fault of akita.

also I have some questions to expert as well.

What I know of from my experience(very short experience) Major fault of Japanese akita are underbite/over bite,long coat, white collar all around(collar which is not all around is fine). missing testicle(T.T). uncurled tail, dropped ear.

From UKC standard, I can't find about white collar. Is UKC allow to show and place these marking?

Comments

• According to just the UKC standard, there is no stated fault/disqualification of the white collar. Here is the copy and paste of the UKC eliminating faults and disqualifications:

=====================
    ELIMINATING FAULTS
    (A dog with an Eliminating Fault is not to be considered for placement in a conformation event, nor are they to be reported to UKC.)
    Long coat.
    Sickle tail.
    Uncurled tail (determined while the dog is in motion, not at rest).
    Flat, splayed feet.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
    (A dog with a Disqualification must not be considered for placement in a conformation event, and must be reported to UKC.)
    Unilateral or bilateral cryptorchid.
    Viciousness or extreme shyness.
    Albinism.
    Overshot bite.
    Undershot bite.
    Pinto markings.
    Black mask.
    Dropped ears.
    Speckled nose.

======================

If there is a judge's packet, an explanation about the preferences of white markings could go there?

The FCI standard doesn't mention limits on the white markings. Only that dogs should have urajiro and there shouldn't be markings on the white (meaning ticking). Here's a copy and paste of the fault and eliminating fault section of the FCI standard:
    ===================

FAULTS : Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.
    • Bitchy dogs / doggy bitches.
    • Undershot or overshot mouth.
    • Missing teeth.
    • Blue or black spotted tongue.
    • Iris light in colour.
    • Short tail.
    • Shyness.

ELIMINATING FAULTS :
    • Aggresive or overly shy.
    • Ears not pricked.
    • Hanging tail.
    • Long hair (shaggy).
    • Black mask.
    • Markings on white ground.

Any dog clearly showing physical or behavioural abnormalities shall be disqualified.

N.B. : Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

==================
  • None of the major JA standards spell out a DQ for a white collar. We know from our experiences in Akiho that a full white collar most likely means that a dog will not get placed. It some cases they might excuse them but I doubt it. White marks on the back if the neck is a point deduction with a 1/2 collar being a bigger deduction.

Looking at the standard they spell out coat markings as the following:

UKC:" Coat colors are clear and bright. Acceptable coat colors include: red; brindle, and white. Brindle is defined as a fine streaked or striped effect or pattern of black or tan hairs with hairs of a lighter or darker background color.

Brindles have the following basic colors in them: red, black, gray/silver, and white. All colors, except white, must have Urajiro (light cream or white markings or shading) on the sides of the muzzle, on the cheeks, on the underside of the jaw, neck, body and tail, and on the inside of the legs.

FCI: Colour: Red fawn, sesame (red fawn hairs with black tips), brindle and white. All the above mentioned colours except white must have urajiro.
    (Urajiro = whitish coat on the sides of the muzzle, on the cheeks, on the underside of jaw, neck, chest, body and tail and on the inside of the legs).

Akiho also defines urajiro. They include two mentions of coats in their faults 1) Color of coat unbecoming to an Akita. <--minor fault 2) Other defects detracting from the qualities of Akitas. <-- major fault.

To me a white collar or mark is contrary to the definition of Urajiro. It does say that white/cream colored fur needs to be on muzzle, neck... etc etc. So the more white a dog has around the collar the bigger the deviation from the standard.

Other factors would be the structure of the dog, presence, movement etc.

Personall I feel a full white collar is of pet quality. That's my opinion.

• So to extrapolate, a dog with a white tail tip (not referring white on the underside of the dog) is also a deviation?
  • I don't think tail tip is deviation. and thank you both for informations.
  • No, @ayk white tail tip is desired, particularly in brindle.
  • I was mostly pointing out the language or lack of with regards to white spotting. How is a judge to know that white neck is bad but white tail tip is good by reading just the standard?
  • yeah the tail is listed in all standards.
  • edited September 2013
    There are a ton of rules about the three color patterns that aren't in the standard. :/

EDIT: I always LOL that the AKIHO standard in particular just says the color must be "becoming" to the Akita. I'm waiting for my green-and-orange striped Kringer puppy to be born. Its technically not a disallowed color! ;)
  • Standards are not all encompassing. If they were only certain dogs would win over and over again. A standard paints a picture of what the ideal dog "should" look like....ideally.

As trends change so does the subjective part of the standard.

But when we are talking about show vs pet this dog comes to mind:

http://www.akitapedigree.com/details.php?id=66229

• I love that color. I know it's not allowed for show, but I really love piebald dogs. With the brindle, it's extra awesome in my book. :x

I've never really understood the concept of excluding colors as long as they were historic to the breed, but I know standards refine over time and preferences change. I mean, in original documents of Malamutes, they describe brindle and piebald dogs among the color. Now, brindle dogs are -never- seen and piebald dogs are against standard.
  • Did you look at the second photo?
  • edited September 2013
    @*JackBurton* OMG. Does he have one crazy side and one standard side? What black magic is this??

I didn't look until you said something. I guess people like his "good side"?

I wonder if his children will produce/have produced any piebald dogs like that...
  • good example.
  • edited September 2013
    I couldn't believe I was looking at the same dog.

You're supposed to follow a pattern, genetics. Go home, you're drunk.
  • yeah it's not even the pattern you thought it was earlier. I guess if you turn fast enough the judge might miss it.
  • LOL. People have to submit photos of *both* sides as well as the front in the UKC single registration, right? ;-)

• I had to ask myself if people would really be that sneaky/dishonest, but... I'm sure they would be.
  • I think if the judge knows his standards, he'll easily see it. The "pinto" side is on the judge's side.
  • That's not pinto that Urajiro Americano
  • Wow that Akita is really cool looking. I agree with @Crispy about the color thing...
  • Oh, yeah, Urajiro Americano. It's quite rare. You've probably never heard of it.
  • Whoops Time For Corrections and Retractions....

I guess the photo I posted from AkitaPedigree is really the sire. I guess they uploaded to the wrong entry.

Either it's a mismark per the standards. I'm sure the dog would do fine as an AKC Akita. BTW this would be a perfect example of a pet quality dog which isn't bad at all.
  • edited September 2013

My dog was qualified as show quality (meaning no visible faults discernable at 3mos) but he's since developed a small black spot on his tongue. Not a huge deal because everything else looks ok but I think that'll prevent him from winning a Tokyuu award ? I'd like to bring him to a show next year.:)
  • Anyone can sell any dog as show quality. Personally I would not be selling a show quality with a full collar.

We regards to the standard you have multiple levels of faults. Each organization has different ways of defining the severity of the faults. Akiho is an extremely outdated standard so a lot of judges adjust for it. For any standard any deviation from the standard is considered a fault.

I have an article regarding Akiho and our standard. I'm just doing some fact checking on it before I post it.
  • Standards are not all encompassing. If they were only certain dogs would win over and over again. A standard paints a picture of what the ideal dog "should" look like....ideally.

As trends change so does the subjective part of the standard.

But when we are talking about show vs pet this dog comes to mind:

http://www.akitapedigree.com/details.php?id=66229

I thought, wow, what a cool color pattern! I've seen that a lot! Then remembered we were looking at JAs, not AAs.....Oops! :)

• So here is the article - It is written by By Tadayoshi Ego translated by
    You can find the original text AKITAINU (AKIHO BULLETIN), pp. 12-14, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2005. The article is linked on Loren Egland's website. I'm just using the key parts to help with clear things up.

Translation was done by: Tatsuo Kimura The website says it has permission to reprint the article. As an Akiho branch board-member I am giving myself permission to share so if someone complains neener neener.

Revision of the standard 2005
    "The present revision will be limited to coat colors, and this means that we will be separating ourselves from the American Akitas. When I was attending the Akiho show of the Los Angeles Branch, I took this opportunity to observe Akita dogs registered with the AKC. Many of these dogs had the black, black pinto, half-and-half white and black pinto, half-and-half red and white pinto and the goma (sesame) coats. By eliminating black and pinto from our primary color classification, we believe we will be able to get closer to the traditional type of the Akita dog in Japan ."

Coat Colors including pinto and goma
    "We also carefully discussed the goma coat. A few dogs with the goma coat are occasionally registered from a litter. The goma coat is seen in the medium Japanese dogs. For various other reasons, we decided that removal of the goma coat at this time was premature.

We decided to limit coat colors to white, red, goma and brindle in the Akita dog standard. We are expecting some mixed responses to this decision."

"This does not mean that we were all in agreement. Different opinions such as the following were expressed. Goroumaru that produced many outstanding Akita dogs was a pinto. Also American Akitas and Akita dogs in Japan came from the same bloodlines. For Akiho, the original Akita dog organization, to make any such changes in the standard can create turmoil internationally. The six primary coat colors in the standard did exist in dogs of the past and, therefore, one should not revise the standard, but have a mutual agreement to leave it to the individual judge's discretion as to whether he should accept or reject. Many of the foregoing opinions expressed by our predecessors, our judging committee and members nationwide were reasonable. After many hours of deliberation by the judges, it was decided to eliminate black and pinto from the standard. This decision was based on Akiho's realization of the current crisis related to the American Akitas, and of trying to preserve the Akita dog."

White markings, pinto, and urajiro.
    "However, a point of clarification is in order on limitations of the pinto. The basic color tone of primitive animals seems to include urajiro.

According to the Kouiien?. urajiro refers to the white coat seen on the ura (under surface), soko (bottom), uchigawa (inner part) areas of red and brindle Akita dogs, no matter how dark the coat color. The white coat gradually darkens toward the back. The white on the face, legs and tail also darken as they move away from the underside. This hue or gradation is characteristic of the coat colors in Japanese dogs. I was told that this was how to judge coat colors from judges who were my predecessors. I am told that such appearances were called urajiro. According to the dog dictionary, the white coat on the underside or at the bottom of the body and legs are supposedly correct.

When a white coat appears abruptly in the middle of a coat color in the form of a button, or inversely when a red or brindle coat appears as a pinto spot in a white coat, the characteristic of the Japanese dog is lost. The reason for our predecessors adhering to dogs with the solid (one?) coat color is for that reason.

Dogs with the Holstein pinto pattern can be labeled as pinto dogs. Dogs with the blaze on the face, at the tip of the tail and on the lower section of the legs are not to be included with the pinto dog.

However, Akita dogs with the blaze that passes through the middle of the face toward the forehead to form the hachiware (like a split pot), and the gaudy wide white coat, like a wrap around the neck, that is completely around the neck has almost the characteristics of a pinto dog. Such dogs are said to lack the true beauty of the Akita dog. These features are considered by our judges as undesirable coat colors based on the Akita dog standard. This is now common knowledge"

• The website says it has permission to reprint the article. As an Akiho branch board-member I am giving myself permission to share so if someone complains neener neener.
    @*Jackburton* Great article but OH MY GOD the neener neener got me! =))
  • Very nice. It explains everything here.
  • Well I find humor in the website that the article was cited in. Hence my snarky comment.

To recap. White up the neck and the white on top <---- point deduction. Split face and full collar is no placement. I was told this by Ben a long time ago but finding a written source is easier said than done. I really should just write down what he says.

Sean