Go-Ji: Jindo rescue in Alabama UPDATE: 3/4 (Pictures)
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    I started the other thread before I picked him up and decided to start a thread for him now that he is home instead of editing the title of the other post.

I was told by the contact and the posts I saw about him that his name was Major but the owner (actually it was her ex-husband and he had him because she left the pup behind during the divorce) said they called him Boy or Dufus. So he really didn't have a name and I refuse to call him Dufus.... it just bothered me. So a volunteer that went with me came up with Go-ji and it stuck.

I brought Go-Ji home yesterday and I have to say this little guy is so easy to love! He is scared and reserved but is quickly coming around. He is terrified of door ways but will cross the threshold with coaxing (this is a huge improvement from when we arrived home!) He is terrified of eating/drinking out of bowls! I cannot figure out why but it's as if he thinks something negative will happen if he does it. (EDIT: Just came in and I finally got him to drink a little while we were walking outside in the fence!)

I contacted the vet that treated him last year (August 2012). I have a print out of the records from that visit. He is roughly 17 months old.
    He went in with hair loss- Skin scrapes confirmed Demodex. Only 2 mites were found and were 'dying' so the vet determined that his system must be strong enough to handle this problem so decided to wait on treatment for the Demodex but did treat with antibiotics for the skin and hair loss. He had Giardia, tapeworms, and Coccidia. All of this was in the records. He was also a cryptorchid and was neutered. The records also says there was an extra testi. He was also Anemic. The vet stated that it was possible that it was from fleas but it was listed as undetermined cause.

He received no follow up care or treatment according to the vet and the owner confirmed.

My biggest concern at this point is his hips/back legs. He is extremely weak in the back end to the point of stumbling, swaying over and difficulty rising from a laying down position. My vet wants to see him early next week (allowing time for him to relax a little before we take him in).

Below are pictures of the sweet guy and I took pictures of the way he stands when he is focused on something. He rests his back left paw on top of the right paw but spreads his front legs wide to help balance.

Any thoughts?

On the way home
    go-ji 8222013 2

His feet while standing still
    goji legs 8232013 2

goji legs 8232013 1

Spreading the front legs for balance
    goji 8232013 2

What a handsome boy!
    goji 8232013 1

My goal is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am!
    Post edited by Kuma123 at 2014-03-04 23:38:45
  • toshitoshi
    He is very handsome. Great to hear that he's coming around.
  • With regards to the bowls, its possibly the type of bowl. My parents' boxer, Hilde, refuses to eat or drink from metal bowls. We think maybe the sound of her ID tags clinking against it bothers her. She has no problem with plastic or ceramic. Even if its not exactly the same scenario, maybe try a different type of bowl just to see if its all bowls or not.
    「怪獣荘秋田犬」Kaiju Kennels Japanese Akita and Hokkaido, Claire Matthews
    http://www.facebook.com/PoetikDragon
    http://www.facebook.com/KaijuKennels
    http://www.kaijukennels.com
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @poeticdragon, thanks! I was trying different types of plastic bowls but the one that he finally drank a little from was a black rubber bowl meant for livestock. It's big but not deep. I put a plastic dog bowl next to it and he shied away from that bowl but drank from the rubber bowl.
  • aykayk

I'm not a fan of his name. I'm sure it's after the goji berry, but it's similar in sound to the Korean word for meat (gogi).

I'm glad to see that his eyes look better in these pics that in the original FB pic. The leg, though, I'm worried he got hit by a car and was never treated.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @ayk, that was the same thought we had about the legs/back end. I plan to get xrays when we go to the vet and I am hoping there will be something we can do to help him.

The name is actually something she made up (I had no idea it was similar to the Korean word for meat :( ). She took the word go because we had to go get him and combined it with the first 2 letters of Jindo and came up with Go-Ji lol
  • Maybe call him JinGo ... lol but perhaps that means something too :/
    「怪獣荘秋田犬」Kaiju Kennels Japanese Akita and Hokkaido, Claire Matthews
    http://www.facebook.com/PoetikDragon
    http://www.facebook.com/KaijuKennels
    http://www.kaijukennels.com
  • Djindo... "the D is silent" ;)
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    He kinda reminds me of fozzy bear. So sad about his legs. :(
    He is precious and looks like he is a big sweetie. :)
    Lauren
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    You mentioned his being terrified of doorways. When I first got Yoshi, he wouldn't cross it without someone giving him the ok. It may be some sort of respecting boundaries thing. Give him time and that'll go out the window once he knows where he stands.

• Kuma123Kuma123
    @WhiteGC8, he is doing better with the doors but I know it will be ok in time. He is so unsure of himself right now but as he gets settled he will come around. Thanks for the encouragement!

He likes that rubber bowl just fine so I guess that is now his water bowl lol I am going to get him a smaller one for food.

He came up to me earlier for a little pet and seemed happy to see me when I went down stairs later so he seems to be coming around a little, which is great. I expected it to take days for him to make this much progress.

So far he really is a sweet boy. He did bark for the first time today and it was more of a chuckling/howl sound... too cute lol
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    Speaking of the water bowl, Yoshi won't drink out of any other bowl except for the one at home. It's a bit of a pain in the butt since I constantly worry about him during our hikes. His bowl is one of those heavy ceramic ones so it's impractical to be lugging that thing around.

If/when he comes up and touches you, it may be a sign that he needs something. That's what my boy does when he's thirsty or needs to use the bathroom.
  • CrispyCrispy
    Ugh, this poor little guy. :( I hope everything turns out okay for him, but those back legs do look bad.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • He's really handsome! I hope you figure out what is going on with his back legs.
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • LosechLosech
    He's super cool looking!
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @Crispy, thanks! I am very worried about the back end/legs, too.

@shibamistress, thank you!

@Losech, that's the same thing my husband said :)

He has made a lot of progress today! We got his rabies shot today and he did so good! I was surprised at how well he handled all the stress. We had an episode with a GSD pup (It was the GSD's owner's fault for not having a handle on things and paying attention to what her dog was doing) and Go-Ji was super stressed by it but handled it better than I could have hoped. He did great in the car but was happy to be home! He is great on a leash and pays close attention to what I'm doing. He let me pet him all over today and I had to carry him through the pet store because the tile floor was too much for his legs and he had no problem with me picking him up. The vet let me hold him for his shot to keep his stress level down and that worked out well, too. This little fella is easy to love..... he looks at you with those sad eyes and gives you a nudge and I melt lol
  • cdenneycdenney
    ...so you're possibly keeping him?? :D
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    That nudge is dangerous! LOL
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @cdenney, LOL I should have known you would be the one to start that ;) hahahahaha

@WhiteGC8, you aren't kidding! It is so cute though. Last night he was using his front paw to keep me from getting up and leaving the room. Every time I tried to stand up to walk away he would put a paw on me to keep me there. And then once I walked away he nudged me with his nose over and over until I turned around and gave him a scratch behind the ear lol
  • cdenneycdenney
    Yeah im about to be a failed foster for the shibes.
  • What did the vet say about his legs?

He sounds sweet!
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @shibamistress, we are having xrays and blood work done this coming week. He is concerned about the legs but didn't want to speculate until he has taken xrays.

He really is sweet! I just spent about an hour brushing out his coat (it's pitiful and this is day 2 working on it!) and he ended up laying down and sleeping while I brushed... he was so relaxed!

@cdenney, I didn't know you were fostering- I must have missed a chapter! So you think yours is a keeper huh? LOL
    Post edited by Kuma123 at 2013-08-25 14:21:50
  • cdenneycdenney
    Her owners might have to keep up their heavy travel schedule and dont think its fair to her to keep putting their elderly shiba with different people so they made a very tentative offer (well one half of the two did we haven't replied til we hear from everyone). But the shiba fits in well with Sachi and both are doing better with each other so maybe.
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    @Kuma123 Because he's got some difficulty getting around, I think he's trying to keep you close by so he can keep his eye on you. Yoshi pretty much follows me wherever I go so he can do that.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    I am glad she has you and I hope it all works out for her! That's great that they get along so well and keep each other company.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    He really enjoyed being brushed :D

enjoyin brushing- goji

He stood up got kind of in front of me sort of sideways and plopped down into my lap! It was an awesome moment!
    goji in my lap 8252013
  • aykayk
    I had a male Jindo who couldn't be bribed with food, but hold a brush in your hand and he was your instant friend. :)
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    @ayk That's hilarious. Mine's a total food whore!
  • LoboSpamLoboSpam
    I love his dracula widow's peak :)
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @LoboSpam, so do I!

@ayk, (anyone with suggestions please chime in :) )any suggestions for curbing excessive barking? He started at about 3am and the only time he has stopped barking is when he is beside me. He barks in the yard when he's off leash, in the house when he is downstairs and I'm upstairs, when he is in the crate, etc. I've tried chewies, toys, bones- he doesn't touch them. Thanks in advance!
  • aykayk
    Does it look like full-blown separation anxiety?

If it's not separation anxiety, a citronella anti-bark collar might curb the barking.

If it's separation anxiety, the collar isn't an option and you'll have to be very proactive in countering separation anxiety. ie. DAP diffusers near the crate, behaviorial modifications (gradually increase visual separation), or/and even vet-prescribed medications like "Prozac", "Clomicalm", ace.

Sometimes being with another dog will ease the symptoms, but as soon as the other dog is gone, it re-starts.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @ayk, thank you for your reply! I think that he is just so overwhelmed and he sees me as his 'everything is ok in my world when she's near'. He doesn't yet show signs of full-blown separation anxiety. He is fearful of unfamiliar things (in a holy crap what the hell is going on kind of way)- and barking seems to be his way of saying 'hey, something isn't right here' or 'I'm a little scared'. The good thing is although he is fearful he handles that really well. He is such a gentle guy.

I found the cause of the constant barking and he has settled down a lot. The fish tank filter was making a noise that I couldn't hear over the barking but Kuma was later standing facing the tank looking at it strangely and she never does that so once I cleared the room I could hear that it was in fact making an obnoxious noise! I fixed that and Go-Ji was noticeably calmer and the barking is less.

He now goes through doors in the house with no hesitation! Huge progress! He rides fantastically in the car- with or without crate, he walks well on a leash, he LOVES to be brushed, he is very tolerant of me touching him all over, he does not show any signs of food aggression or resource guarding (he couldn't care less about toys, bones, chews, etc) he is not food motivated but as @ayk said he is brush motivated lol, and, so far, he seems like a wonderful boy who will do well in a normal household once we get him physically ready for a home, of course. He really is pretty amazing and so loving and forgiving!
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    @Kuma123 Regarding food aggression and resource guarding, Yoshi showed no signs of that at all until our neighbor's dog went after his food. So just be aware that. Also, Go-Ji may not be motivated by food yet, hut that could change in time as my boy was the same. Now, he's just a straight food whore. LOL
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @WhiteGC8, yes, I know that his responses and behavior could change as he becomes more comfortable but at this point everything is going great and he has a wonderful personality/temperament. We've done some simple food tests and he is not protective of his food towards humans or other dogs :)

My sweet foster boy will need a permanent home at some point so everyone please keep him in mind and spread the word about him.

• CrispyCrispy
    How's Go-Ji doing?
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @Crispy, Go-Ji is doing good! Thank you for checking in :)

He loves to be around people, even new people! We had family come in from out of town this weekend and he was really social and loving. I was told he was shy with new people but he really doesn't act shy here. Maybe it is because he is comfortable here and has found a place he fits. He doesn't just live in the back yard like he did at his previous home and he seems to have gained confidence and coping skills in the short time he has been here. Thursday will be 2 weeks and I am impressed with him. He is house trained, easy to handle, enjoys grooming, eats well (isn't too picky).

After he figured out the boundaries and do's/don'ts he really has seemed to change. It is a totally different dog from the day I picked him up to now. He had no confidence, he had no idea what was going on,he was fearful, etc. Now he is vocal, funny, loving, and just a fun guy to be around.

His only bad habit thus far is barking. He only does it outside now and only if I take him out and then come inside to get another dog or grab a drink or something. It is getting better, though. He just wants to be near me. He does great in his crate now, too!

• aykayk
    Did the vet find out anything about his leg?
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    I am sorry I have been away from the forum for so long. It has been a chaotic and busy few weeks around here!

Go-Ji is doing wonderfully. I must say he is as close to the perfect dog as you can get lol He is well mannered, biddable (for the most part) responsive, loving, easy to work with, and just overall a fabulous companion. I am so impressed with him and I just hate the idea of adopting him out.... but I must. The more I keep the less I can foster :(

The back end weakness is actually back leg weakness. It appears he had an injury that went untreated. With exercise and a good diet and meds he has improved immensely. The only time the leg 'acts up' is after a lot of chipmunk hunting in the back yard when he zooms endlessly from one end to the other ;) He loves to torment the chipmunks! He is improving greatly as time passes and he no longer seems to have any pain or discomfort. His mobility nor his spirit are affected by it any longer! The vet has been wonderful and is optimistic that his issues will not worsen and only improve with proper care.

He's blowing his coat now. Man it was a mess when he came home! It took a long time to get his coat headed in the right direction. He is looking so much better and I can't wait to see what he will look like when his healthy coat fills in!

I love this dog! Plain and simple. Please spread the word and help me find him a wonderful home.

Without further delay..... pictures!

"I'm coming, Mom!" (He actually has really good recall)
    DSC_1602

He's after a chipmunk!
    DSC_1606

Getting some luv!
    DSC_1608

And I saved the best for last... I love this picture!!
    DSC_1610

• Kuma123Kuma123
    Ooooops! I forgot to add one :P

DSC_1614
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    He is so cute. Love that last pic.
    Stacey living with Tora, Kazue, Ritsu and Kuma the Shiba
    www.suteishiikennels.com

DSCF0686IMG_0940 - Version 2DSCF0714IMG_1151

10443860_10202258803333634_2133731540_n
  • SayaSaya
    Such a lovely Jindo. :) I hope he finds a great home.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • What a great looking dog! Hope he finds a good home!
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    I was wondering about him. Glad to see he's doing better. Kudos to you for taking him in.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    He really looks like a Coyote or Fox or something in that last shot!
  • CrispyCrispy
    He's really looking good! Thank you for working with him and caring for him!

If you have nice pictures of his head and body or a description of his temperament/blurb for a posting, I can post him up on the Nihon Ken Rescue page. I can post him with the current pictures, but clear shots seem to have more impact.
  • CrispyCrispy
    If you get nice pictures, I can also ask my rescue (Big Fluffy Dog Rescue) if they'll to a courtesy post for him, if you'd like. We have a coordinator in Alabama and adopters all up the east coast with transportation from Virginia to Maine.
  • jellyfishjellyfish
    the way his fur fits around his face is really interesting. Haven't read the entire thread so I hope that this hasn't already been mentioned. Just now catching up and I am super happy to hear his back legs have improved a lot. Thanks for helping him :)
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    Thanks everyone :) He is such a happy boy and I am fortunate to have the chance to know him! He brightens my day... every day!

@Crispy, I will work on getting better pictures... he is hard to photograph lol I will also type up a little something to go with the pictures. Thank you for your offer to help!!
    Do you want me to just post it on the rescue facebook page and then you can repost it? Or do you want me to email or message it to you? (When I get some good pictures, of course!)

• CrispyCrispy
    Whatever's convenient for you. :)

It's no problem at all.
    I still need to ask my rescue. I'm awful and haven't done that yet. Since he's already in foster care, I don't think they'd mind, but we took on a bunch of hoarding cases lately so I have to check. :(
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    That's fine! I appreciate the help :)

If they cannot help network him at this time, that's ok! We can use the NK fb page and word of mouth, etc. I am grateful for any help finding him a fur-tabulous home :D
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    UPDATE:
    Go-Ji is such a great boy. He really has the sweetest disposition and we just love him. He looks so good now and he doesn't look like the same dog that we picked up in August! His coat was a mess back then! He loves loves loves to be groomed.

Here are a few recent pictures. He really enjoyed playing in the snow :D

P1012905

P1012886

P1012963

P1012967

P1012915
    Post edited by Kuma123 at 2014-03-04 23:41:31
  • WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    Wow! What a huge difference! He's looking great.
  • zandramezandrame
    Thanks for the update!

He looks so happy and healthy! I had to scroll to the top and look at the before pics.

I also forgot about his leg weakness. How is that doing?
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @WhiteGC8, Thank you!

@zandrame, thank you! He does look sooo much better now! He will never be 100% in the back leg but he has improved so much and he's able to maneuver a lot better. He also has learned how to compensate for the weak leg by depending more on the front legs. He has days where you can tell it bothers him a little (the 8 degree weather... those were the days I noticed he would 'rest' more than normal) but overall he is doing really well. He is a special needs boy with a huge heart. He will always need his Glucosamine and his supplements. His sweet disposition and overall loving and biddable personality is so amazing and totally compensates for his physical limitations.
  • BearMomBearMom
    @Kuma123 The difference is night and day especially his coat. Props to you for putting in the time, love and work to care for him!
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @BearMom, thank you! I love him and he deserves to live the good life so we try to give him that :) He has had such a rough life so we try to make up for it with lots of love and care!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kuma123 - Glad to hear that he is doing so well! So... I take it that the search for a forever home has ended? ;-)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @sunyata, thank you, he is doing great and we are so happy that he is feeling so much better!
    And you made me laugh.... a lot :D "So... I take it that the search for a forever home has ended?" LOL

If the perfect family for him is found, I would still let him be adopted. The problem is... we haven't found a family/home that would work for him. My husband and I adore him so if he ends up being permanent, we are ok with that.... so failed foster? I guess so haha

He would probably be happier in a household with less pets and chaos but he loves us and he makes the best of it. If anyone here knows someone that would be a great person for him, please do let me know.

Things to consider:
    He will never be a running/jogging buddy
    He will never be a able to go on strenuous hikes
    He has to take supplements every day
    He doesn't need to go up and down numerous stairs regularly
    He will chase a chipmunk all the way to China if given the opportunity lol
    He is a sweet and loving dog that adores his people and is extremely eager to please
    He loves hot dog buns and will steal them if you aren't watching closely ;) We have learned to keep them on top of the fridge!

• WhiteGC8WhiteGC8
    @Kuma123 LOL on the hot dog buns. Yoshi knows to leave food alone unless he's given permission to eat it. But something like raw meat is just too much for him and he'll sneak a few bites if left unsupervised. You know he's up to something when he's in the kitchen being super quiet. LOL
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @WhiteGC8, I know exactly what you mean LOL We know something is going on when all goes quiet here, too hahaha
    I know someone is up to something really bad if Zabu starts howling.... he is my hall monitor hahahaha

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion