Kai outgoing

edited July 2013 in Behavior & Training
My Kai, Hello Kitty is very outgoing, much like her Dam. Father is typical reserved Kai.
Do any of you guys have extrovert Kai Kens? I don't think she has ever met a stranger.
I like this although I hear it is not typical of the breed.

Comments

• I don't have a kai yet, but I'd love to see pics of yours! From what I've read, kai become more aloof with age. I'm interested to hear what actual owners and breeders on this forum have to say though.
  • I don't know how to post pics yet. How do I do this?

Kitty's mom is three and still pretty outgoing. I should say for a Kai, she is certainly not a lab. Japanese dogs usually take their time warming up.
    Our shibas are fairly outgoing but we also socialized and did lots of classes.
  • My male, Matsu, is 10 months old and is very outgoing and goes up to people with a wagging tail. I like that he is friendly but never obnoxious (with jumping and licking). My female, Juno, is 2 years old and is more reserved, but very curious and happy. When she knows you, she's very kissy and climbs right up in your lap. She likes to check people out first.
  • @WrylyBrindle was Juno always that way or has that changed over time? I know Matsu is still a puppy/teenager in a lot of way, but from a socialization standpoint are Matsu and Juno essentially equivalent or did one get exposed to more situations than the other?
  • I think the key is early socialization and of course they cue off of you. Still genetics is a part of it. If you move too fast, Kitty gets leery. Which is sensible to my way of thinking.
  • Juno has always been more reserved with strangers than Matsu. I'd say both are very confident dogs, but Juno just isnt that interested in or impressed with strangers- she made a few good friends at my work who she will kiss and do tricks for and let hold her, but she chooses who she is interested in.

I brought both as puppies to work with me- Juno every day, and Matsu only infrequently. Juno got more volume of socialization. When I brought Matsu into work, everyone would say "Oh, THIS one's more friendly!" not that Juno was UNfriendly, rude or frightened, she just wasn't as interested and she'd duck away if people tried to put their hands on her head. People are used to labradors and other wiggly, affable goofballs. They dont know what to do with an intense or dignified dog. :)

Both passed their CGC tests- but Juno took a prep class. Matsu passed it cold turkey. :)

Because Matsu received LESS exposure than Juno but is more gregarious, I am sure it is because he is just of that personality. Brad @brada1878 could tell you how their parents are socially - I believe Ayu (Matsu's mom) is pretty outgoing.

Juno is also much huntier than Matsu- she is 'busy' and wants to DO stuff. Matsu likes to be with people. Juno likes to be with ME. She doesnt like to be picked up by people she doesnt know and will squirm to get away, at her first puppy vet visit the vet (admittedly a 'cat person') found her 'intimidating' just the way she sat there on the exam table. She counseled me to make sure I learned about dominance... (thank you, NEXT vet please)

Matsu has been picked up happily by friends, vets, etc. He has been walked by various people on his leash at the NIPPO show, and in his puppy K we played 'pass the puppy' and trade puppies in class which he enjoyed a lot. I think Matsu just is much more interested in people than Juno is.
  • Awww, I love Matsu and Juno. I think Matsu would be my *Kaideal* pup. Your post makes me think that I should get two Kai though because both of their personalities sound amazing to me. Maybe someday, for now I'll start with one.

@Yogadog I'm not sure how to post pictures either. I think that you have to host them somewhere and then copy + paste the share link and the forum css takes care of the rest.
  • oo- "Kaideal" I may need to borrow that one! :)

Yep, they are definitely their own people.

Matsu has always been a naturally good on-leash walker- he never pulls. Its just how he is. Juno- from the moment she arrived- was always on the hunt and would react quickly to any motion and pounce on pinecones I accidentally kicked while walking, for example. Matsu never does this. But he is the first dog to come find me when I change direction in the woods, and when I fell on the ice in the road this winter and dropped my leashes he came right to me and put his paws on me and looked all around, while Juno licked my nose. They are great dogs. You will LOVE your kai ken!
  • @WrylyBrindle - You met Ayu at NIPPO! Was she outgoing?
  • Nio is pretty outgoing
  • Nio is definitely outgoing. I think Ayu is outgoing and social, she just wasn't jumpy and crazy :) She had more of a "zen" presence to me...I like the combination of the two personalities <3
  • edited July 2013
    My Kai, Goro (Matsu's half brother and Ayu's son), is very out going too. He attacks new people with licks! Even when we're out walking with him he wants to jump on stranger and lick them.
  • Kona does love giving kisses, i love how it makes kids crack up :P !
  • edited July 2013
    I think all the kai that I met at NIPPO were super outgoing.

For the record, I received more kisses at the NIPPO show than from my two combined over their lifetimes. It was kind of impressive though B joked that it meant that ours must be defective.

[edited for clarification]
    Our two are shibas from a program with very people oriented dogs. Ours are friendly enough but they just don't have the "You're a stranger but I think I like you. Kisses for everyone!" mentality that many of the dogs at the NIPPO show seemed to have. I would have gotten more photos at the show if there weren't so many dogs that liked pets, snuggles, and kisses whenever I crouched to try to get a better photo. Impressive job socializing everyone!
  • Shelby is outgoing as long as she's not on her leash, though we have made fabulous improvements on her leashed anxiety. Now she plants her butt and won't move until she feels better about the situation, which is taking less and less time. She wags her tail non stop though. She is really outgoing on her turf. When we have guests over, she wags her tail in circles and showers them with kisses. "Helicopter butt" is her happiest mood. :)
    She has been super easy to train and I wouldn't think twice about getting another Kai (though much later, after some of her puppy energy has decreased. My downstairs neighbors would really hate another dog with thundering feet. Lol).
  • My kai is naturally pensive about strangers and really would rather watch you from a distance than have random big hand tap her on the head. However with her people she needs to snuggle and then be in the vicinity. This has been a slow development out of her personality in the time I have had her, she took a loonnggg time to warm up to me and my roomies. Now that I have another dog and we do obedience classes and lots of socalization trips she will approach strangers face on (versus her favored ninja style while your distracted), take treats and even the occasional pet ( *mind blown =) *). I think having met really aloof pups like mine, and alittle bit of Tara and very social pups like Akashi, Ayu, Matsu, Toro that the breed likes to be aloof but can't help themselves when they feel comfortable.
  • Informative responses. I love Kitty's outgoing personality and would like to see it passed down to her possible offspring.