how old was you AA when it ears came up?

edited July 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
when should I be taping them?

Comments

• Don't tape them!
  • Leave them be, he'll be fine. Akita ears should not be taped.
  • ok.. he is 14 weeks the one came up. I was getting worried the other one might have trouble.
  • At 3-4 month they should come up, maybe even later. Since one ear is up the other will follow. From what I have read in the forum there havnt been any case of Akita with floppy ears. Just give them their time :)
  • @T_Dog Emiko was 5 months old when her ears finally came up. I agree with Claire don't tape them. As long as your new puppy is able to move them, they should come up when they are ready.

• They are fine! Don't tape them! They come up on their own. I was just looking at my Akita (AA) pics, and he had one ear up one ear down at about 3-4 months, but at 5 months both were up. (And at 6 months, he had lost his puppy look and looked like a smaller version of the adult he became).
  • There are Akitas whose ears don't come up at all, and my friend knew of one Akita whose ears came up at 9 *years*. I'd love to know the explanation for that one. I did tape the ears of my first Akita, who wasn't going to be bred or shown when they weren't up by 9 months. I didn't do a great job of taping but at least they were up: I got tired of all the comments on my cute St Bernard puppy (a black-masked red pinto).
  • imageears" /> ears up all day at exactly 15 weeks.
  • now I wonder about his tail. I read in treasure of japan vol 2 that the tail will loosen and tighten as he grows. but his taik only goes up every once and a while. I wonder how old he will be when his tail goes up and stays up. I dont remember this being an issue at all with my JA.
  • AA have extremely loose tails compared to JA and many never curl they just lay across the back or down the hips.
  • ohhh. ok. his curls only when he is very confident. or like for the same reasons an labs tail would be up. thats when his curls. good to know that it is normal. :-)
  • Oskar's tail always curled up over his back even from when we first got him at 8 weeks. He's got a pretty tight curl for an Akita, and he only drops it if he is scared or sick. My other AA's tail always curled too.

Some can have looser coils, I guess, but most of the ones I know always have a good tail curl unless they are scared/sick.
  • edited July 2013
    @shibamistress My statement was based on the tails I see in show rings in AKC, even Westminster...

They're not all this way of course, but its not uncommon in the breed from what I've seen. And it seems acceptable at shows. I haven't seen any JA in an AKIHO show ring with a tail like that. Conversely, my AA has my favorite tail set which I don't see in JA either: a tight, vertical "donut" dead center on her spine. Most JA have what I call a "butt halo."