Low RBCs

edited June 2013 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
Here's a post I put on FB group I love my Shikoku :

« I have a little question following Yoko's surgery : The vet told me that they always do a blood test to ensure that the red blood cells are fairly high because it always drops a little after the surgery. They had the surprise that Yoko's RBCs count was low to start off with.

Having no specification on this breed, she looked at the spec. of the Shiba Inu and found out that Shiba's red blood cells are relatively smaller than all other breeds and because of this the count looked lower and so is normal.

Does anyone knows if it's the same for Shikokus? That their red blood cells are smaller like their cousin the Shiba? The vet is still trying to get an answer on why Yoko's RBC count was so low. »

I did read this post on the Akita side (http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8530), but if you do have any information for the Shikoku, please share.

Comments

• Sorry, I don't have any information. My dogs have had blood drawn, but no vet has mention low blood cell counts.
  • Do they just test the red blood cells or everything? Did the vet find anything else that was odd with her results?
  • Red blood cells only.
  • Akitas' red blood cells are supposedly smaller and more fragile than most breeds, but to me that would mean *more* red blood cells in a certain volume, not less. Akitas are often below the normal range in MCV, mean
  • Gee--I think the comment got posted before I finished: Akitas are often below the normal range in MCV, mean corpuscular volume. I don't know if other Japanese breeds share these differences. Can you post the actual results for red blood cells?

Here's a quote from Barbara Bouyet's Treasure of Japan, Vol. II:

"Unique Akita Blood

"An unusual feature of the blood that is seen in some Akitas is microcytosis, the presence of abnormally small red blood cells and a high potassium level. No correlation between high potassium levels and microcytosis has been found, and not all Akitas show these traits. The presence of microcytosis in the Akita has not been associated with any physical problem, though microcytosis, in general, is associated with certain anemias. Other Japanese breeds may also show microcytosis.

"The Akita has been found to have RBCs with high potassium content. The condition is called pseudohyperkalemia. All other canines have red cells with low potassium content. This high potassium content has not been linked to any disease, but it can cause a problem during routine blood panels if your veterinarian is not familiar with this anomaly. The Akita and other Japanese breeds have a permeable erythrocyte sodium-potassium membrane pump, which means their red cells leak potassium into the serum producing pseudohyperkalemia. (This peculiarity makes these dogs more susceptible to onion poisoning.) If the blood is not spun immediately, there can be a false indication of Addison's disease syndrome.”