moving anxiety

edited June 2013 in Behavior & Training
My husband and I are moving from Louisiana to Wyoming on the 24th and I think Mya is having some anxiety issues related to the move. Since it takes so long for movers to get our stuff out there (about two weeks!) We had them come early and pack our stuff up. We have nothing other than the kennels and beds for the dogs, an air mattress for us, a few dog toys, and our clothes for the next week. Mya was fine for the first 2 days, but I think she is starting to have some anxiety now.
I came home from work yesterday and she had diarrhea all over the kennel and herself. I told her it was just an accident because she looked so ashamed and then I bathed her and cleaned up the mess. She seemed fine afterwards, though she was not her normal hyper self during the bath. We played and did our normal routine with all the dogs and the cat before bed time. She cried in her kennel a little last night, but went to sleep pretty quickly.
This morning, my husband woke up and went to feed the ladies. He discovered Mya had been sick again in her kennel, though not as bad as yesterday. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Mya has been rehomed a few times, but I have had her for almost 3 years now. We have also kept all the dogs on their normal schedules to try to prevent anxiety. I don't want her to be scared, and I especially don't want her to lay in her mess all night. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    If you have nothing in the house maybe you should let her sleep in the room with you with her kennel door open. So if she's feeling sick she doesn't have to lay in her mess. The fact the house is empty is a pretty huge change and that alone would be the thing that is stressing her out. ChoCho was stressed we were packing for our move to Florida, so I would take her on 1.5 hr. walks x2/day and she would be pretty tired throughout the day and night. This seemed to help with her stress. Hope this helps.
  • I have a dog that has to be stressed about something. during our move when she was getting alittle soft in the stool we supplemented with rice to keep it firm. Also just keep them with you when you can so they know you're not leaving them. Just don't make you with them or moving a big deal to assauge any seperation anxiety issues.
  • Thanks! I was trying to keep her on her normal schedule to maybe alleviate some stress, but I can take her to work with me and that usually wears her out and she seems to feel special when it's just us. Shelby and Sophie don't seem to care about the move, so they can stay home with no problem. I would take her on long walks, but it's almost 100 degrees out before humidity is factored in and I'm afraid of heat strokes for her. At work, she is in daycare with other pups and can go in and out as she pleases. I hope this works, it hurts my heart to know she's upset.
  • We're moving next week too, and all our dogs are a little freaked about it. It's these times when I *really wish* I could just explain to them what is going on.

She'll be ok, she just need to know for sure that you're there for her.
  • Good luck on your move! I hope she knows we love her and would never ever leave her fuzzy butt behind.
  • I just wanted to say thanks again! I have been letting Mya sleep where she wants at night and wearing her out during the day as best as we can. She has made a huge improvement with her anxiety, no diarrhea or crying at all. She is happy again, so thanks for all the advice!
  • great news! :)
  • Awesome!!! Woot!
  • How did the move go?
  • We leave in the morning... Got all our puppy car seats and seat belts ready! I'll post how everything goes!
  • Good luck with the move!
  • Thank you! We are really excited!
  • Good luck and a smooth move!
  • So, an exciting update on the move! The dogs did amazing on the ride up here. They were all very well behaved.
    Since we have been here, we have had the best surprise ever... Mya has been going potty outside!!! Those of you who have seen some of my other posts know that she has never gone potty outside and has been paper trained for the past two years. This is an amazing feat for her and we could not be any more excited. Her anxiety seems to have been lifted answer are very proud of her for doing this with no prodding or help, just her usual walks.
    Shelby, Sophie, and Jefferson are doing very well with everything too, and I'm glad we made the leap and moved up here. :D
  • Yay for Mya!