Full Red Muzzle

edited June 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
After reading on thread here in the forum where is said that Japanese AKIHO magazine was stating the color of the muzzle for the JA should be red, that was a little bit weird since i never saw a photo of a JA with full red muzzle until I stumbled upon this puppy photos:

What are your opinions? Maybe this one might be a shiba/akita mix? I personally prefer the white muzzle over the red one...

Comments

• I know of two show dogs (def not mixes) that have full red faces just like the diagrams in the AKIHO book. I don't like it personally. If that's really the way they're trying to take the breed, so Akitas look like Hokkaido and Shiba, I will stop breeding reds. I prefer the white face but at the same time think its wrong to breed against the standard, so I just won't breed them anymore in tht case.
  • I'd like to see pictures of this dog as an adult. Right now, he looks goofy and I'm not in love with his "muddy" colors.
  • I like that look! But that's just a "wow, I haven't seen that before, and what a great looking puppy" response, which has nothing to do with how well he conforms (or doesn't) to breed standard.

I do prefer the more standard red with white face look, though.
  • Beautiful! :)
  • Don't like the red muzzle at all.
    I don't think there's been any reds who have won awards at AKIHO shows with full red muzzles recently. Am I wrong? AKIHO judges definately prefer the white face ( males can have the 5'oclock shadow) but I've never seen even slightly red muzzles or under the eyes.
  • Red on the muzzle is correct a full red face is not simple because there is to be a red/white combination on the face.

Just like the AKC term "white faced red" or "red white mask" incorrectly defines the markings.

Ideally you want some red below the eyes and on the bridge of the muzzle. Not a full red face.
  • That's not what the judge from Japan said, nor what is shown in AKIHO diagrams, Sean.
  • That's what Toyoda commented on in 2012.

What did this judge say I wasn't really in the room for that.