Chicken Feet Treats

Hi, my akita loves chicken feet as a snack. I usually buy it from an organic dog treat company (not raw...he refuses to eat chicken raw). My mother wants to save some money and make them herself. We plan to cut the nails, remove the skin, do a quick parboil before either dehydrating them or roasting them. Does anyone have any other suggestions on preparation?

Comments

• You need @Saya that's something she knows!
  • My dogs love them (and ducks feet too ) and would eat them raw (since they are raw fed) but they like the crunch of the dried ones I think. I'd like to know as well, so good question! And another question--where do you get a bunch of chicken feet from to dry/dehydrate?
  • We found an Asian market that sells them in bulk. So hopefully we will try to make a batch this week or next. I've tried the duck feet too, but Bear prefers the crunchier chicken feet.
  • edited June 2013
    @shibamistress - any chicken farmer will sell to you for a song. I have gotten a 5 lb bag in expensive parts of the country from organic pasture raised chickens for $3 for that bag. It's not a super popular part so farmers are accommodating.
  • @saya would know this all to well i added her on FB just to be able to stalk her lol. I fed nanook raw chicken feet though and he wasn't too crazy over them I had to kind of shove em down his throat or force him lol and afterwards he couldn't get enough of them. But then again anything new with nanook I have to kind of force him.
  • @BearMom I used to live right next to an Asian Market that sold chicken and duck feet. I would chop the toenails off and give it dip into some boiling water to kill any germs living on the surface. My Shiba loved them, but my JA was too young at the time to eat them. Now I live rather far from any place that would sell them raw xD. I always worry splintering with dried bones :(, although I do have a bag of dehydrated duck feet that I bought a ways back... so much more expensive than just getting them at the market @_@
  • @slkblaze we just started our first batch of chicken feet tonight. After we prepped, I loaded them in the dehydrator. I am not sure how long it will take to dry them out. The only bone I worry about splintering is the small chunk of leg still attached to the feet. I'll have to see if it still splinters after drying. If so, I'll have to remove that part.
  • Hurray, Bear loves the home made dried chicken feet!
  • My dogs are crazy about them, and they're not so hard that my girly with the problem teeth can't eat them.

There are no chicken farmers in this part of NM as far as I know, though, so as much as I'd love to buy a bunch from the source, not likely to happen.
  • I also fed turkey feet Bella loved them much bigger then chicken feet. good work out for both Saya shiba and Bella boxer.

I've fed dehydrated duck feet I bought before no problem, but never tried chicken feet.

I don't put in boil water as I fed raw diet to Saya since she was 8months old and never pre wash stuff unless it gotten dirt or grass from being fed outside.

Saya's eaten stuff like whole quail, and rabbit.. No issue with bacteria coarse she eats the raw stuff on feeding towel or outside.

I never had issue with dehydrated duck feet, but only gotten bag of it two times.

Why take the skin off? I can understand nails, but skin might make it more chewy once dehydrated?

Saya and Bella loves duck, turkey and chicken feet yummy snack. Though turkey I'd never fed dehydrated it's pretty big and bigger bone..

Here's pic of turkey foot and some meat and beef thymus for Bella she is mainly kibble fed, but gets raw once or twice week sometimes three times and also gets caned stuff once week and egg once week for variety.
    photo DSC_0113.jpg

Chicken foot, chicken heart and some boneless beef.
    photo 1-23.jpg

I feed with nails never had issues yet with Bella or Saya, but they're raw so dehydrated might pose more issue.

• my 3 all love raw chickens feet, including our 11 week old pup, the older 2 are the only ones that have had them dried but they are so expensive to buy dried here so only buy them occasionally. The raw ones i get are super cheap, and as my 3 are all raw fed I just include them as part of their diet
  • @Saya, in the end we skipped the parboiling step and the skinning. The feet we got from the market were very clean and the skin membrane was already removed. Sorry, I should have been more clear about the skin step. It's the skin membrane that we wanted to get rid of, not the entire skin. I found a pict online of what the membrane looks like...so reptilian.

• Turkey feet looks almost dinosaur like with their big size..
  • I've been meaning to pick up chicken feet for Sansa. When feeding them should they be used as a snack or a whole meal? Wouldn't a whole meal of chicken feet be particularly boney?
  • I use mainly as a snack...1 or 2 feet at a time. I don't know how much actual protein there is in chicken feet, so I'd think you would have to add meat to the meal like Saya does.