Health issues

edited June 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Okey, i have always research for what is typical health issues on kai.

I have try to find a post about this here but after looking through 11 page i couldn't find a post that only handle about health issues on Kai - just Hips and check about that - where some other problems have been mention :)

in research on net you can find info about health issues / Problem like this:
HD / Hips
PRA - Progressive Retinal Atrofi
Bloat

And in the earlier thread here it was mention
ACL
LP
Spine

And i was reading here that it have been a few Kai with epilepsy..

What is normal health issues on Kai, and what is not?

Some say's it don't exist health issues on this breed......

I just post it here so everyone can get the info about it, we all need to know what's the truth about the health is :)

Comments

• And the health check that should be done is:
    Hips. Elbows, Eyes, Patella and thyroid ?

I haven't done thyroid check on my Kai, but is that a big issues on Kai ?
  • Stick with KKA Kai. They're a pretty healthy bunch. :)
  • If you're breeding your Kai, then you should do an complete check up (at least I think so) to make sure you're not passing on any hereditary flaws to the pups.
  • i have done all of them, but not the thyroid.. :/

But i gonna do it so fast i can :)
  • Here is one topic http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/6114/nks-health#Item_26 and here another http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/7069/health-results#Item_18.

And always do the health checks before breeding. Then it's easier to choose right pairing. And when talking highly inbred lines like we both have you should pay extra attention to health tests and redo then every now and then. PRA can be expressed when your dog is older than three years old. We also have few megaesophagus cases but those dog were imported from Japan.
  • i have read this, but that don't answer the question, and like i said i have checked beauty for all but not thyroid, but will do it as soon i can :)

I also have plans to check Beauty's eyes every year, because of PRA ;)

• @mettaz the reason I believe she linked the thread as the Nks share some of the same issues to differing degrees.
  • yes and that's good to know about, but i'm wounder if there are some big or small problems on the Kai breed, and of course dog's that are breed on should be health checked, but i know it isn't so easy to find out everything about Kai :)

But yeah i can see that it's a good answer for all NK breed :D

I know here in Norway the breeders don't talk about issues on the NK breed - and then it's more difficult to find out what's a common problem and what are uncommon ( i hope it's right to write it like that :) )
  • Reason why posted those links was that people wouldn't make "new" topics which clearly are same as already existing topics. It makes forums easier to follow.