Is your Akita affectionate?

I'm curious, because when I try to cuddle with mine he gets up from laying down and moves elsewhere to lay down.

Or when I call him to come to me, sometimes he'll come, most of the time he'll look at me and acknowledge that I called him, then go elsewhere.. lol.

Comments

• Ryuu will only show affection when i return home which only lasts about 30 seconds or when I'm holding him up off the ground. Other than that he acts exactly the same as your dog.
  • Yes! When I come home from a long day he waggles his tail and jumps on me but after a while he does his own thing lol
  • Yeah, Kaylee will do that. But she also likes to lay against me but will leave if I show that it makes me happy, I try to pet her, or i acknowledge that she is there.
  • edited May 2013
    My shiba is like that. I feel my akita is much more of a doggy dog, he likes cuddles and will climb onto my lap if he needs attention. He's still only a puppy so that might change.. though I hope it won't. If I bend down to "talk" to him while out walking, he'll put his paws on my shoulder and lean in for a cuddle. It is so awesome to have a dog who actually enjoys being touched.
  • edited May 2013
    My Akita is very affectionate on his terms. And now sometimes, I repeat sometimes he will let me wrap myself around him. But keep in mind, these are dogs that are famously independent. Love the times you get that affection. And feel special you get it at all.
    And then if you still want a dog that cuddles all the time, try a pit bull. All of mine have been professional snugglers.
  • Jessica hit the nail on the head - Akitas are everything you want them to be as long as it's on their terms.

Mine does the same thing... she will choose when to come up and cuddle or when to lay near me. When she is through with me, she heads off into the other room.
  • My boy is much more affectionate than my shibas and my Kai (my Kai is still in the "oh, you're fun! Let me bite you! stage). But it's only occasionally. He'll come over maybe twice a day and lay his head on my lap, and if I'm reading on the sofa he kind of half gets on the sofa to be petted. He's the only dog that will tolerate a hug (and he's so big and soft and nice to hug!) But his total time of being affectionate might add up to 10-15 minutes a day, which is just enough for me! I think I like the NKs because I'm rather like that too--ok, enough of that! *lol*
  • edited May 2013
    It varies for each of my dogs, but... I have noticed a correlation between my extremely affectionate Akitas and anxiety or reactiveness/redirection. I'll take the slightly less cuddley but significantly more stable dog, thanks!
  • It varies for each of my dogs, but... I have noticed a correlation between my extremely affectionate Akitas and anxiety or reactiveness/redirection. I'll take the slightly less cuddley but significantly more stable dog, thanks!
    Interesting observation. Oskar is mildly anxious, and does have mild reactivity/resource guarding and issues with redirection too. Mild but noticeable.

• edited May 2013
    My JA is very affectionate! My Shiba thinks she's too good for all of humanity xD
    Most of the time though, they are doing their own thing. My JA is more obedient than my Shiba and will come over when I call. She's very "kissy" where my Shiba withholds kisses unless food is involved xD
  • My Akitas are affectionate. Kuma is sometimes aloof but the others are always ready for a cuddle.
  • edited June 2013
    Ive found a direct correlation between the position Toki is laying down in and how much affection he will tolorate.

If he is conked out, superman style, he will accept bellyrubs and head and ear scratches. You can lay next to him and even put an arm around him, but that has to be strategic as well. Prolong cuddle sessions are cept to a minimum of 5 minutes.

If he is simply laying on floor with head in upward position but on floor, he is secretly watching the house and isnt to be distrurbs too much. Head scratches on okay. You can not go lay next to him at this point. He will get up and walk away.

And if he is laying down with head in the air, all bets off, but you might get lucky. Though I bug him anyway and he says "too much mom" and gets up to walk away.
  • edited June 2013
    I laughed when I read the title of this post.

Affectionate is an understatement for Saigo. He is only 5 months old, so it may be a puppy thing but all Saigo ever wants to do is snuggle and be rubbed. He follows us from room to room and hangs out a few feet away. I think he just loves being around people. This also explains why he LOVES getting groomed, bathed and even likes going to the vet. He loves going up to strangers and other dogs.

I know he doesn't have separation issues or anxiety because he doesn't freak out when we leave, nothing is wrecked at home (he usually just sits on his bed when we leave in the morning).

Our front hallway chair has become his snuggle chair. When Rob gets home, Saigo will run directly to the chair (not him) and wait to get snuggled. It's hilarious! I've passed out on the floor a few times and Saigo will come and sleep right next to me. He can snuggle for hours! :) Rob and I agree we lucked out on getting such a good dog. But again, this is just his puppy stage...!
  • Not to derail the cinversation but had some good nights huh? @mapletwinkie?
  • I was thinking about PoeticDragon's note about anxiety/affection. We were putting in a door last night and Oskar was a bit anxious about the drilling, so he came over to me and kept pushing his head under my hand (almost like that annoying nose flip thing labs do when they want to be petted!), and then for one of the few times in his life, he did the Akita lean, just really leaned into me. He stood that way while the drilling was going and was very insistant about being petted!
  • Our Akita does it all - the nose flip (hard to work a computer mouse when you have 85lbs of dog push up on your hand with her head), the akita lean, the paws up and waving ("jazz hands"), and if she's laying on her back and you walk by without bending down to pat her, she'll still an arm out and practically trip you!

She loves to snuggle - will climb on the bed, will lay down next to you... She stays as long as you are patting. If you stop patting, she'll split in about 10 seconds, though.
  • Our Akita is very independent, but his breeder is shocked because all of hers are love bugs. haha. But our boy...yep....when he first sees or meets you, he's all wiggle love bug, hugs, etc. But after that....he's done. He goes back to his own business, which is usually sleeping. And if you lay on the floor to cuddle with him, chances are he'll put up with it for a few minutes, and then get up and move, making sure he is faced well away from you. haha. (And that was his behavior since he was a puppy.) He loves me the best and tolerates more loving from me than he does my kids or husband. He is also the world's best ignorer. He can be laying there and you can walk by him or even pet his head or call his name, and if he is not in the mood, not a muscle will move to even show that he noticed you. Crazy guy.

He's good natured though...he impresses people at the dog park at how well behaved he is...and he is very low maintenance at home due to his independent nature. The only problem we've had with him at all is due to his need for "personal space" we've had a few growling issues with one or two of my boys if they bug him, but we take care of it immediately and it's very rare that it happens. And the teeth are never shown or anything, it's more of a throat rumble of annoyance, but I still deal with it swiftly and sternly. He is also a bit stubborn as well. He is very "Akita" in that he listens to a command, and then visibly decides if it's worth it to obey or not before he actually does it.

When I first got him, I was disappointed that even as a puppy he didn't seem to love and adore my kids (or any of us) but merely seemed to tolerate us....it really upset me...but then I realized it has it's good side too, as far as being very low maintenance. He is not a super "Needy" dog, and he can be left indoors without us for several hours at a time (from a fairly young age, too)....he is calm at the dog park, and when it's time to go, he immediately follows my husband to the exit without having to chase him and leash him up like other people have to do with their dogs. He also, if my youngest son goes to the dog park with my husband, and other dogs come up to my son, Kota will be sure to go over there too and make sure the dog doesn't do anything bad...sometimes he will get between my son and the other dog very casually, almost as if he is not really "protecting" him, but he's just "there".

I think that's the funny thing about Akitas...they never really show all their "cards" (love, loyalty, affection, protection) so sometimes I guess you don't know their full potential until a situation arises that demands it...and then you see that they loved you more than you thought they did. :-)
  • @Kitagrl I loved reading that, sounds just like mines..

Off topic, but does anyone know when Akita's stop growing? At what age?
  • I love reading everyone else's stories too, it makes me feel better!

I think the main growth is done by a year, but then they fill out and gain maybe 15-20 more pounds, and possibly 1/2"-1" of height by age 3. I believe that by age 3 they are considered to be fully mature as far as growth...but the majority is done by a year or shortly thereafter. Kota is about 25"-26" and about 85 lbs at one year. He will probably top off at 26"-27" and 100 lbs by age 3.
  • Yep, most in first year, but Oskar grew taller and filled out a bit more in his second year.