Mika

edited May 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96556572@N04/8858651519/
Hi, I thought I make a post about this lady and my first three weeks spent with her. She was 4 months on the 26 of May, so far I enjoyed every minute of my time spent with her. It feels and looks like she is settling well so far. The very first day she got home, she walked in to a living room and peed on the rug there, but for the past two weeks been good and had no accidents in a house and if she is on the free run in the house just go by the door to our garden or barks if she is crated. The very first week she slept on the living room floor and I slept on the sofa there, but started crating her for a night for last week or so. Sometimes she still barks at night so go down and take her out, she doesn't pee or poo in her crate, but the other night she started barking 3 min after I took her out 3 o'clock in the morning and just wouldn't stop so gone down took her out to the garden and she was just awake and wanting to play rather sleep:) There are a few issues:) First of all is stones and grass, loves it:) have to watch her all the time as eats grass and sometimes even concrete little rocks or stones. Been going to the park and she never showed any aggression towards any other human or dog, she just wants to play with everyone she meets so far and is still afraid of unfamiliar noises and doesn't like to go for a walk on the street as some big car's or bikes make too much noise. She turns around and just start's dragging me towards home. It's quite funny but hope one day we get over that:) hair dryer, washing machine and vacuum cleaner she still learns her way to deal with those noises. The other thing is my neighbours hawk:) the very first time she saw my neighbour feeding his hawk in his back garden she run home and started barking a lot, run under the table and barked jumped by a window and barked and after she come down tried to take her outside and she was kind a refusing to go and didn't showed too much interest in going outside, but slowly step by step she started going to the garden again.
I feed her raw meet and bones mixing with some tripe and she's been doing very well on it. The poo's are fine, but the farts stinks bad after she had some tripe;)
The other thing that I would like to ask is a parasite treatments. She was treated just before she left Europe to come to uk but only for a month. I mix some garlic and brewers yeast with her food as well as salmon oil with her meals. But sometimes the way she starts scratching herself looks like something is there:) Also she gets her tail and bites it. Sometimes bites in to her own skin just scratching herself, is that normal?
The last week biting drive increased a lot and I am trying to teach her to bite in to her food and toys only, but that is a difficult bit. Have a 5year old daughter and sometimes she can't see the difference between my daughters and her toys:) That's work in progress at the moment. She does get very exited every day I come home from work so it's kind hard as I want to give her a little cuddle, but at the same time don't want her jumping all over me.
She does respond to commands as sit, go to crate and lay down and DON'T TOUCH, but that one is difficult as curiosity sometimes wins but sometimes she still refusing to do it. She would just turn around and walk away. However I do enjoy spending time with her and training her.
I do work one week from 8 until 6and the other week form 11 to 8 so she stays in the house with my Mrs and daughter and 2 days a week she gets crated for about 8 hours from 8 to 5. She is full of energy and fun so far:)

Comments

• Beautiful puppy you have there, Congratulations!
  • She's gorgeous! Sounds like she is settling in nicely! I am also in the UK and I've had my JA pup for nearly two weeks now and my experience in similar to yours. Keiko is mad for grass and stones I have to stay in the garden with her and pick the stones out of her mouth if she gets there before I do! keiko has become very bitey in the last few days and keeps going for legs and feet and it is difficult to get her out of it as the saying no then turning away so she loses your attention doesn't work because she has a game with herself pulling trouser legs or shoe laces! How are you getting on with the biting? re-direction helps a little but I find she will drop the toy quickly and try again for legs!

How is leaving her at home when your at work for those two days going? Is she staying calm and quiet? Next week will be the first time Keiko will be left alone for a while and I wondered how it's going for you? My girl doesn't seem to have any separation anxiety but she doesn't like not being able to roam around freely but obviously shes too young to be left alone to roam around the house as I'm sure when I got back my furniture would be no more lol!

What breeder did you get her from? :)
  • @stefjackUK,
    She came from Europe. In regards biting I am having the same issues, biting drive increased significantly in the last week or so and that's work in progress. Every time she bites I am trying to tell her off and leading her to a toy or her chew or bones, but than sometimes she just wants to lik me rather than bite and starts playing and that turns in to biting again:)
    In regards her beeing left alone for those 2 days I can't really know as I am not there:), but I have been asking my neighbours next door and they said they haven't heard a noise or a bark from her. They do stay home for the whole day. I would think she is just chilling in her crate and chewing her bones and toys, but she does get so exited when I come from work and when I am home than she is aloud to run free in the house which she enjoys.