Old Shikoku Pictures

On my continued dumpster-dive through the internet, I found a gallery dedicated to the Shikoku Ken. In that gallery, I found these guys! I like looking at the older pictures of any breed... and the same goes for the Shikoku, of course.

I did question if the last dog was actually a Shikoku, but there were no other types of dog in the gallery (it was labelled something like "Shikoku Appreciation")... so I figured it would be safe to post with the rest.

Comments

• I love the variety of the old Shikoku look!
  • edited May 2013
    @Hinata23 Me too! I think the blog I was reading mentioned the first dog for having light colored eyes ("golden" brown) instead of dark eyes.

The same blog featured some modern Shikoku that had a very different "look" to them than what I'm used to seeing. They were a little rangier and much more ruddy in their coat colors. The blog-owner had one who was very, very red with scattered sesame hairs. I should post him up (if I can find it again) when I get home from work! He was interesting.

Another thing I noticed was how many white socks/blazes and ticked marks I was seeing on the "old" Shikoku dogs.
  • Yeah... it seems like the old shikoku look has a bit more individuality when it comes to markings and color.
  • Ooohhh, i really like numbers 2 and 3.
  • Here are more!

I will forever love that last pinto Shikoku.
  • I like the look of these a lot more than most modern Shikoku. Same goes for almost every breed I like.
  • ...wow! Amazing! :)
  • @Losech........if you went with an old type of dog to a dogshow, you would be disqualified before even entering the ring.........
  • Nks looked so much better back in the day.
  • I love the variety of coats! Especially between littermates. Harusuki is agouti? while Shinsuki and Bisuki are pinto.
  • I love old type dogs over modern dogs too.. So neat to see these pictures.
  • edited June 2013
    Really interesting! I like the action shot and the one where you can actually see the handler.

Credit where credit is due? Where did these come from?
  • @curlytails
    Originally, I had found them through a Japanese search engine that I couldn't navigate too well, but @thewalrus cleared it up - he said most of them came from a Shikoku breeder's blog.

http://ameblo.jp/be-so/

^ the URL. After looking through, I really like some of the dogs they have posted on the blog. It's really interesting. :)
  • @ayk
    @Calia might be interested in that. Wow. Tho... after looking closely... is it photoshopped? I can't tell from the entry it links to... and there are no other pictures... but it looks like it might be.

http://ameblo.jp/be-so/entry-11545916516.html here's the entry it's in, if anyone feels so inclined to translate. :B
  • Crispy, it is very much photoshopped. If you look at the hairs on each nail, you'll see that they all are the same exact pattern. Also, when a dog has multiple dewclaws on the same foot, the ones on top tend to be pushed out some by the bones of the ones underneath. Such as the case with this image:
  • @Calia - Beauceron foot, tee hee.

Yeah, everything looked way too neat on the foot and the pattern on the nail was the same, but I didn't want to say "SHOOOOOOP" without knowing for sure.

After dissecting the entry with a translator, it looks like the image was made to describe a crazy dream the blogger had.

• above the top nail, you can also see the squares of the paste job. kinda like when you watch the old unrestored star wars films and there's squares around the tie fighters...
    ;)
  • edited June 2013
    @kimputai I really do not care for dog shows so it would not matter if I had an old type appearance dog since I would not be attending in the first place. Looks (or titles of any sort) are not important to me when choosing a dog (regardless of my preferences). Health, temperament, and genetic diversity are. I'll go with the healthier dog despite of what it looks like even if I like the type/colors/whatever of another dog better.