"Rusting" and exsessive shedding?

Juneau (Border Collie X Labrador Retriever) has some funky things going on. Usually, she sheds year-round with a spring coat-blow. This year, it's been really insane. She's lost most if not all of her undercoat and a whole TON of the overcoat, and it's still coming off profusely. Just petting her lightly gets a bunch of fur coming off.
Also, she has a round spot on her side, about 4 inches in diameter, right at the end of her ribcadge that has begun to rust. There is a also a bit of rusting on her muzzle. Her fur is normally deep jet black, but this spot is a reddish color. I don't think it's from sun exposure, since it's red all the way through the hairs, not just the tips.
She is otherwise normal and is at a healthy weight. No scratching, licking, biting, she's eating normally, and is behaving the same as usual.

Does anyone know of anything that could cause these two things? I'd rather not take her to the vet if I don't have to, but I will if the cause could be serious or in need of medication.

Comments

• Are the rust spots where she's shedding? Years ago I had a chow lab cross that was all black and she'd get "rusty" looking in places when she was blowing her coat. But it was just the hair that she was shedding.

It sounds like she might be going through one of the super big coat blows that they sometimes go through. (First time I saw one in my Shiba I freaked out, but he was fine!)

If it's not that, though, I don't know.
  • edited May 2013
    She's shedding all over. The rusting is only on that one spot and a bit on her muzzle. The rest of her fur is kinda dull looking right now compared to how she usually shines.

It could just be a really crazy coat blow, but I've never seen her shed this much before.
  • You may want to take her into the vet and get some skin scrapings tested to rule out skin diseases such as ringworm or dermatisis
  • Have you used any new flea and tick products? I have just been reading about adverse reactions to the topical products, and many people describe their dogs loosing clumps of hair.
  • Cushings? Low thyroid? Some times areas of prior injuries or hotspots grow in as different coat color/texture
  • No idea. Hopefully nothing serious :( ~
  • Oh, yeah, Toby's hair has grown in totally different from his bald spots. We figure he's in the early stages of cushings (not high enough for a proper diagnosis, but his cortisol levels are abnormally elevated).

But there are other issues with cushings, too, so it's probably not that. Still, probably time for a vet visit and to see if they can figure anything.
  • I haven't done any changes to their flea/tick routine (I don't use chemical preventives, DE and frequent combings turn up nothing) so I doubt it's that.

I was thinking low thyroid as a possibility. I've read about dogs who have low thyroid function and don't exhibit all the signs...
    I'm not aware of any injury that Juneau got that would cause a color disruption that large. I don't think she's ever gotten hurt there either.

I guess I'll have to take her into the vet to get thick checked out. I believe her rabies is going to expire soon, so it's time for a visit anyways.