a dubious list of most popular breeds. Now with list of dogs falling in popularity too!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Saw this list of supposed "hottest" breeds: http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/the-20-hottest-dog-breeds?WT.mc_id=cc_yahoo

I'm dubious. Not just because so many of them are "designer" breeds, but really? The mountain cur and the black mouthed cur are among the most "popular" breeds? How many people have even really heard of them besides dog aficionados or hunters?

No NKs on there, thankfully, though I bet Shibas have been creeping up the rankings, sadly, if there was legit way of measuring that kind of stuff.

(see later post for article on breeds falling in popularity)
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-06-03 13:45:14
  • rikumomrikumom
    I had to read the article just to see what is a cur!
  • CrispyCrispy
    We get a lot of curs in rescue from the south. They used to be labelled boxer or lab mixes, but people are starting to recognize what a BM/Mntn cur is in New England. They absolutely are rising in popularity here.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • LosechLosech
    I only like five of those breeds... (Most aren't even actual breeds anyways.)

Curs are kinda big here. It's a rural area, lots of people hunt, so there are a lot of curs around. Not so much in GP or Medford, but in the smaller towns you'll see them everywhere. Hounds too.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I like the word "dubious".
  • TRDmomTRDmom
    Anatolian Shepard?? Would have been nice if they said, "American created breed from Turkish dogs." Somebody got offended when I said they were 'basically Kangals mixed with street dogs.' They went in a big spill about how various Turkish breeds made the Anatolian Shepard. I wonder what they think Turkish street dogs consist of?? (Walking down the street you'll see strays that very much fit the Anatolian breed standard) **BTW, I'm Turkish ;)
    Post edited by TRDmom at 2013-05-18 00:55:23
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I have a Boz/Kangal cross named Taskin.
    Post edited by BradA1878 at 2013-05-18 01:40:19
  • TRDmomTRDmom
    Really! Where/how did you get him?
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    From a friend in Texas. He's about 9 months old now...
    Taskin
  • CrispyCrispy
    @TRDmom I have an Anatolian Shepherd (foster). We get Anatolians every once in a while, Kangal and Akbash rarely, but mostly deal in Pyrs in my rescue. We even had Saint Bernard x Kangal puppies once. :(

I believe they are mostly an American invention (even if only due to ignorance at first). I love the Anatolian Shepherd, but I don't love the crazy breed people who really thing that their breed is the exact same one that has thousands of years of history in Turkey when the math just doesn't add up.

That was one of the only breeds I was surprised to see on the list - the Anatolian Shepherd.

Also, I love Taskin! I've always been really interested in the Turkish guardian breeds.
    @brada1878 gets the coolest dogs.
    Post edited by Crispy at 2013-05-18 07:00:24
    I love Taskin too! I'd love to have a dog like him someday!
  • TRDmomTRDmom
    Thank you for understanding me. :) Not sure if its because of the internet and people think I'm being rude (no tone or body-language cues available), but they usually get defensive.

I LOVE Kangals!! They are awesome in so many ways, but not for suburbia (sure, you can make anything work if you put in the effort). They are so natural crossing vast spaces with their flock. I personally wouldn't like to see one locked up as a "housepet," but maybe I am romanticizing too much. ;)
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    The site says the list is of the breeds who have climbed the most spots in popularity ranking over the last ten years, not the 20 most popular. Women's hockey was once the "fastest growing sport", but never the "most popular sport"- it is easy to be fast growing when you start with a very low number.

(Why am I giving anyone statistics lesson? I have no business doing that!! LOL :) )
    according to AKC registrations in 2012, Akita ranked 45th and shiba inu 50th in popularity.

Shibas are creeping up- they were ranked 67th in 2007. Akitas are up from 51st in 2007.

http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm
    Thanks Chrystal....I didn't feel like going back to see what their ranking system was, so your lesson in statistics was useful! I still wonder if they had a geographical bias in their "sampling" (was it really that official?) because I think some of the hunting curs are more likely to be seen in certain regions than others, but....

Interesting about the Shibas and Akitas. Well, Akitas are (mostly) doing ok as a breed, I think. I think the AAs have improved as a breed in the past 20-30 years. Shibas not so much. :(
    It's from "Vetstreet's data"- whatever that is counting. Im sure you are right that its not a comprehensive data set, though. UKC registers a lot of hounds so maybe they got it from UKC registrations?
  • DabishDabish
    Am I the only person on whom the appeal of all these toy 'poo' mixes is completely lost? :|
  • LosechLosech
    @Dabish No... I can't stand "poo" dogs. I see nothing appealing about them whatsoever.
  • SangmortSangmort
    The poo dogs are bizarre. The name alone should be warning enough! ~
    I like poodles well enough. Standards are pretty cool dogs, if a bit more clingy than I like. But I don't see the point of mixing poodles with anything else. :(
    poodles are getting a lot of action with the doodle craze...they are mixing poodles with everything.
  • SangmortSangmort
    I don't have an issue with real poodles either. I've actually heard they're really good dogs when you get them from a good breeder & socialize / train them.

But "-poo" & "doodle"...yuck! ~
  • DabishDabish
    @Wryly They real are though! I won't be surprised if in the next 10 years they're like: "We've finally managed interspecies breeding...we now present, the PeersianPoo!"

I do like actual poodles though. I wonder why they're getting pimped out?
  • CaliaCalia
    @Dabish it all started with good intentions, with an attempt in Australia to offer a greater variety of service dog breeds for those who are allergic to dogs. They developed the Labradoodle to get a dog with a lab's personality and a poodle's coat. Bad breeders caught wind of this concept and saw this as a great selling point and means to make some big cash on any mishap mutts that would pop up once in a while in their facilities. It basically turned into dollar signs after that.
  • CrispyCrispy
    I actually really love the "proper" Labradoodle - that is, those Labradoodles from the breeding program that did more than spam Lab x Poodle breedings. What they call the "Australian Labradoodle" now had to distinguish itself from the gimmick dogs by changing their name.

FYI - the Australian Labradoodle appears very well-thought-out to me. They're more than just Lab x Poodle. They're Lab, Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, Water Spaniel, and Curly-Coated Retriever (I may be missing a few breeds). The individuals I've met have had some of the best temperaments I've seen on a dog and that "type" has been pretty consistent with the dogs I've seen.
  • Deleted (what was going on there?)
    Post edited by violet_in_seville at 2013-05-24 16:04:20
  • CaliaCalia
    An interesting article written by the creator of the Labradoodle: http://alaa-labradoodles.com/uploads/My_Story_I_Designed_a_Dog__by_Wally_Conron_.pdf

Sounds like that even though he was happy to be able to open doors for those in need of a service dog, but the last paragraph and sentence almost gives a tone of regret for initiating a bad fad.
  • TRDmomTRDmom
    Not into the "designer dogs" either. I prefer larger dogs and those that are more "natural." Of course Dobermans, Rotties, Boxers, etc have been created by man, but they are nice dogs and I would take them over any of the poodle mixes that people seem to be so in love with. They are also what I consider "easy" breeds. ;) My TRD rocks (pretty much like your Japanese breeds, just with short hair), but he does take some effort! LOL
  • souggysouggy
    From the caption of the photographs, most of them are not even in the top 50 popular breeds.

I think the list is referring to breeds which moved up the ranks the fastest. For example, the caption below Mountain Cur says:

No. 161 in 2002, No. 139 in 2012

which sounds about right. With the number of new breeds and designer mixes introduced in the last two decades, it is not exactly difficult to move up the ranks.
    Blog: Prick-Eared - now featuring primitive dogs
    Post edited by souggy at 2013-05-23 11:16:38
  • mdokicmdokic
    Awe I love our toy poodle we have at home. But he's not mixed with anything, he's just bigger than they're supposed to be...he is just the best companion (also great for my mom with her crazy allergies), whenever I was sick or came out of surgery, he knew I wasn't feeling good and would lay on my tummy all day everyday and never leave my side till I was better. AND he would keep up with me and run 2-3 miles!! I love him and miss the little goober!! Now my mama is home with him...she says she misses me and my sister so much but I told her now is time to take him on adventures!!!

And I named him Rascal...quite fitting if you knew him :) my mom also cuts his hair (i like it...i can't STAND the random poof balls people trim their poodles to have >:P )

here's some pictures of the little dude:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/8792879537_32896622f8_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8548/8794901503_dac77887e5_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3747/8805478936_2d3778cdb7_z.jpg

(pictures normally work, but for some reason this time i can't get them to work, so just the URLs :( )
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Post edited by mdokic at 2013-05-23 15:31:42
    Rascal is cute! I like poodles too.

My godmother was all set to get an Akita. She loves Akitas! She even contacted a very good AA breeder, and was going to get on the waiting list for a puppy. I was a bit dubious for a couple of reasons: she's a priest, and has a lot of people coming in the house for services, and a lot of Akitas are just not that keen on strangers coming in and out. And she has a shiz tzu too. But my biggest concern: her husband is allergic to some dogs. I said I didn't think a big, double coated dog was the best for them, and convinced them to go and spend an evening with an Akita. They did. They loved her. And my godmother's husband almost had to go the emergency room, his reaction to the dog was so bad.

The got a standard poodle instead (and now have two) and couldn't be happier. The dogs are a better match for their lifestyle since they're friendly with strangers, still a big (enough) dog like they wanted, smart dogs, probably more active than Akitas, but still a good fit. And her husband is not having any allergic reactions at all, and the get a long with the little dog too. So it was a good match! (And I'm glad I convinced them to at least consider the poodle--it turned out well!)
  • mdokicmdokic
    That's so awesome! Yeah...i think for people who are allergic and maybe don't have a lot of time, poodles are great for all the reasons you listed. They really are SUCH great family dogs...it's almost as if it's in their nature to be loving and nurturing to everyone in the household at all times haha. I always say if Rascal could have a profession, it would be a professional cuddler xP No matter where you are, or how you're sitting or laying, he WILL find a way to cuddle!

Here's evidence of that (when we first got Kona too lol...Kona doesn't quite like to cuddle, but also didn't like that Rascal was hogging me, so she opted to lay on my feet LOL)

I can't believe he almost had to go to the emergency room though!! INSANE! I'm so glad my allergies aren't as bad as my mom's...I'm great with Kona (I think it's just because Kais are a cleaner breed...ALSO helps that here in California her fur doesn't have the chance to ever get super thick), but around german sheperds and dogs like that, my allergies go a little crazy :( and CATS. NO WAY.
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Post edited by mdokic at 2013-05-23 15:31:01
  • mdokicmdokic
    AND WTF?! THE PICTURE WORKED THIS TIME LOL!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Great pic! Cracks me up to see Kona down at your feet!

I actually think poodles may require more time, or perhaps it's just her standards. They need a lot of attention, and are pretty high energy!
  • kimputaikimputai
    Goldendoodle, Labradoodle, Maltipoo, Yorkipoo, Shihpoo? Please.............
    Yep, just what the dogworld needs........more crap fashion creations.
    Mastiff, DDB and Cane Corso are also in the list.........now just shadows of a dog they once used to be..........
  • kimputaikimputai
    @TRDmom Of course Dobermans, Rotties, Boxers, etc have been created by man,
    Those dogs were created for a goal by real selective breeding..........
    And to add to it, here is a list of breeds declining in popularity. This one seems a bit more clear in how they figured it,but it has one glaring problem: it lists breeds, except then it suddenly says spitz dogs have declined in popularity. That lumps entirely too many dogs together!

I note the Basenji is on the list! Which is probably not a bad thing for the Basenji, but I was kind of surprised it was ever as popular as they noted. Same with the Norwegian Elkhound (which apparently does not fall into "spitz" in this article writer's eyes.)

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/20-dog-breeds-fallen-popularity-over-past-decade-122000047.html
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-06-03 13:45:28
  • okironokiron
    spitz breeds - this active mixed breed? who the heck is writing these things.
    -Rina
  • CaliaCalia
    With Spitz breeds, if you click on Spitz it takes you to a page about the Finnish Spitz, which could explain the barky description.

Eta: 7 of the other listed breeds are spitz breeds, lol
    Post edited by Calia at 2013-06-03 20:13:06
  • souggysouggy
    Basenjis and Elkhounds were never really popular. The list only looked at how many ranks the breed have dropped.

No. 11: Basenji
    No. 91 in 2002, No. 119 in 2012
    The Basenji is often described as catlike, and although he's highly curious and intelligent, he's not the right dog for anyone who holds possessions dear and doesn't have a rather hefty sense of humor. He's mischievous and has a mind of his own, so if you want to stay a step ahead of him, you'll need to keep on your toes.

No. 14 (tie): Norwegian Elkhound
    No. 118 in 2002, No. 144 in 2012
    Originating in Norway as a watchdog, flock guardian and big-game hunter, the Norwegian Elkhound has a thick, gray coat and a tail that curls tightly over his back. He's bold and boisterous and needs plenty of exercise to challenge him physically and mentally. Otherwise he can become noisy and destructive.

Dropping from ranking 91 to 119 and 118 to 144 shouldn't be surprising. It is really difficult to be in the top 50 breeds...
    Blog: Prick-Eared - now featuring primitive dogs
    Post edited by souggy at 2013-06-04 07:41:59
    I always like seeing your analysis, Souggy, because it makes it clearer. I don't know how many breeder there are overall, so I thought, well, these breeds were more popular than I expected! Still, better for them both to drop down a bit, no doubt.

I love Elkhounds, but yeah, not quiet dogs! ;) Ours had so much to say, so often, even if she was very actively engaged in training or some other activity!
  • kimputaikimputai
    When there is a new film with a certain dog breed, the whole list will change again.
    If there is a film about Lassie, Rintintin or Hooch, the popularity of those breeds will rise big time. The negative part in this is, that buyers think they will get the same dog as used in the movies, but don't know it will take hours of training to get such a dog. Breeders who want to make easy money will surely benefit from a breed that is in the media. I Always wonder if the Akita would be such a popular dog if it wasn't for the Hachiko story. But, mankind is really great in creating new dogbreeds and destroying old ones......Most dogbreeds don't really have their Original function anymore, if they look like a certain breed that has a standard as a watch, guard or hunting dog, it is one.
    I really like the history of dogbreeds, when a dog was judged by his working ability and not for the color and the looks. For instance, In the 1940's there used to be 10 different types of Husky's, not much left nowadays.......JMO
    Definitely some truth to that! On the Shiba side, I posted a link to the Hachiko producer's website, and she said the JA people she worked with adamant about being careful about the breed, etc. (But how can you really do that in a movie? And I do think it is more the fault of the people who buy, as you say, with no thought to the actual dog).

And historically, well, the GSDs in particular make me sad. We have videos around here somewhere of the older type GSDs vs. the newer ones.
  • kimputaikimputai
    Ah, the GSD nowadays.....the only dog that falls over his own testicles.......
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I feel like the appeal of the Basenjis peaked perhaps in the 70s... No, they were never that popular though there was a Basenji movie called Good-bye, My Lady from the late 1950s -- NOT what anyone would call a blockbuster, but had enough star power (Sidney Poitier, Brandon De Wilde, Walter Brennan, all directed by William Wellman) and pop appeal that it continues to be rerun.

I think the Basenjis' popularity, especially in the mills (which, make no mistake, can ratchet up these numbers!), continues to be limited by their [relative] rarity and the fact that only breed once a year.

Yet somehow, Basenjis seem to be more recognizable by the general population. Anecdotally, more people can identify Bowpi as a Basenji than Bowdu as a Shiba Inu. And of course, Bowdu used to be mistaken for a "Basenji" all the time. I have noticed this changing over the years though.
    image M.C. with Bowdu (Shiba Inu) and Bowpi (Basenji) at The House of Two Bows
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-06-11 13:03:53
    I still want a Basenji some day, but it may be one of those never fulfilled fantasies....

@kimputai....I laughed (and was sad) but don't forget the English bulldogs on that score....Something really is wrong with a dog that can neither breed nor whelp on it's on its own.
  • kimputaikimputai

http://youtu.be/S6QUmalgurU
    I was thinking about this video, actually, with the GSDs....I had thought it might have been you who had posted in orginally.....
  • kimputaikimputai
    That was me.......on my own board we discuss other breeds and the difference between now and then......but most breeds don't really belong to the Nihon Ken forum...... I like dog history, when dogs were judged about their performance and not just for the looks.
    I did some investigation in the breeds in WW2, that turned in to a huge topic. Amazing how people can really treat some dogbreeds. For instance, in the war there were Dobermans that were really famous.....after the war, dogs that couldn't find a new home, were killed.....so thanks for your contribution on the battle field. And the story of Tago and Balto is also a good example......from life savers to circus attractions.....
  • kimputaikimputai
    here is a good GSD example:

Past:

photo gsd7-2.jpg

photo gsd4.jpg

present

photo gsd8.jpg
  • mdokicmdokic
    WHOA!! The difference is crazy! Those GSDs looked so muscular...I met some Shiloh Shepherds recently, did the GSD come from them??
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • aykayk
    Yep, Shiloh Shepherds came from the GSDs.
  • mdokicmdokic
    I loved the Shiloh Shepherds...i can't believe i've never seen them before! they're HUGE though hahaha...i liked it :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    some of the european working lines are still in good shape, and you can get them in the US if you look for that--working dogs, not show dogs. I had a rescue GSD from Dutch lines who was 95 pounds in his prime and looked like the past GSD pics. My friend bought a GSD here from Czech lines who was the same thing. Great dogs both (both now sadly passed on). But neither of our beautiful boys looked anything like the show GSDs....and we were happy with that. The dogs with the sloping back make me sad: there are already going to be hip problems anyway, why make it worse with deliberate breeding? I don't get it.
  • NanookNanook
    has anyone seen the documentary "truth behind pedigree dogs"? I highly recommend watching :(
  • obukobuk
    Yeah i have seen it a while ago. Crazy but true. I think i will get a total mix from the shelter again as our next dog.
  • AnnandaelAnnandael
    shibamistress: you can come to me when you're ready for a Basenji ;)
    -Jae Johnston
    Haus Annandael Basenjis
    est. 2004
    www.annandael.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion