Deep Carpet Cleaner

edited May 2013 in Products & DIY
So, this goes hand in hand with the vacuum thread.
http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/158818#Comment_158818

So, my gradmother is coming over from out of state (ugh) and I need to clean my carpet! I have the Bissell spotbot and it works great for small accidents, vomiting, and other small spills on the carpet; however, I have little crop circles all over the carpet where I have cleaned. The circle is clean but the carpet around it has seen better days. What do you recommend for a deep cleaner?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I would hire someone to come wash the carpet for me. I think it's like $100 per room or something like that. If you want to clean all the rooms than you can rent a machine at Publix and do it yourself.
  • If the pad under the carpet is dirty using a carpet cleaner won't really work.

Our previous owner like to have cats and our dogs made it a personal goal to get rid of that smell.

I ended up peeling the carpet back and replacing the pad.
  • I rent a rug doctor when my carpets get yucky. My husband dips and I knocked over his "spittoon" one day....talk about a stinky mess that leaves a nasty stain! Rented the rug doctor and it got all the smell and stain out. I also found that for smells like urine, pre treating with odor eliminator from wal mart or sams does a pretty good job. It kills germs and smells decent as well.
  • I pre-treat the carpet the day before with Natures Miracle. Its natural and the enzymes breakdown the pet odors and stains. I have a bissell steam cleaner that heats the cleaning solution. I use a solution for pet stains and then usually clean on the high traffic setting. After cleaning, i switch to the water only rinse. In the clean water I mix in more natures miracle.
  • If you don't hire someone, you can rent the full carpet cleaning machines (like a vacuum) you roll across your whole floor.

For spot cleaning I use oxi-clean. It takes out everything and is pretty easy to use.
  • I really just need it for the weekend. I had a professional clean my apartment a few years ago when I moved out but he couldn't completely take out Ninja's smell (her skin condition was really bad). Rug doctors are $25 for 24 hrs; however, I've read some mixed reviews on their performance.

Steamers are about $200 for a brand new one. I can probably get a cheaper one on craigslist, ebay, or just wait until all the college students move out... there's always steamers parked outside the apartments. Maybe I'll use the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon.. hrm....
  • I use the Bissell heavy duty Pet carpet cleaner and it works great for me. I pretreat the bad spots and then clean with solution then use plain water to rinse. The carpet looks great afterwards and the house always smells clean and fresh :)