Miyuki is turning 3 months old this week! [ updated 5/20/2013 ]

edited May 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
I picked up my little JA girl from Sean on Sunday. I was a little scared of our 6 drive back to San Francisco but she did wonderfully. She slept most of the time and kept her crate clean. I am thoroughly convinced that I have adopted a cat.

my dSLR is charging right now so for now please do not mind the camera phone pics:

she started whining at about 3 in the morning in her crate. i faced the crate towards me and she passed out for the rest of the night. In the morning though she didn't want to get out. This is the closest she got -_-

after a few hours of half in half out...she came out to eat a bowl of food and then proceeded to lie underneath my bed =/

she snooped around my room and is now sitting in the corner with her stuffed giraffe.

My friend came in the room and she backed up into the corner and barked at him. Is this normal puppy fearfulness? Is she just scared of her new surroundings? She sleeps a lot and just kind of sighs...I feel like such a bad puppy mom because she just looks so sad. she has been eating healthily and chewing on her toys...she doesn't make a sound most of the time...she does drink a lot of water though but it could be due to it being a pretty hot day today. I guess I'm not used to this because the puppies I've cared for including my Shiba were up and about and following me around everywhere as soon as I let them out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sidenote: I stopped by a pet store to get her a leash. my boyfriend was outside keeping an eye on her and a woman parked next to us sort of passive aggressively suggested that we were doing something wrong by adopting a puppy instead of a rescue and that we had gotten her from a horrible BYB. i just thought it was funny because it was so far from the truth...she thought I bought the puppy in the parking lot XD

Comments

• congrats on the cute pup!
  • Adorable! Akita puppies are so cute. Ahhh, memories.
  • Congrats!

She's only 8-wk-old right? Her adjustment sounds like Meichan's when she came home at 8-wk-old in the middle of summer. We took her to visit her half-sister Sachi when she was 9-wk-old and she also barely moved and made herself small. Then two weeks later she started vocalizing a lot more and not wanting to be left alone. Enjoy the quiet time, JA puppy bark is cute like a parrot squawk.

• cute good to hear the drive went well
  • Congratulations! She is adorable :)

She'll come around. A lot has changed for her and everything that was familiar is gone and now she just needs time to adjust to the new awesome life that awaits her!
  • @rikumom & @kuma123 thanks for the reassurance. she is starting to perk up a bit. I dont think she likes hardwood floors. she walks very slowly and then once she gets to our 8x10ft area rug she gets the zoomies lol. its funny to watch because its a short distance.

and yes JA pups have the most blood curdling bark/scream ive ever heard lol .
  • Aww Miyuki is so cute, love that last picture! I hope she's settling in well.
  • Wait! Hold up! One of Kaede's pups is in the Bay!!! I am such a fan of your pup's mom. And my male Kai had a little crush on her.
  • Congratulations! Miyuki is cute, and I love her name. :)
  • @tjbart17 kaede is definitely a wonderful dog! miyuki could use some playmates if youre in the bay as well!
  • Oh we have concrete flooring & Lil Meichan used to move very slowly too. Compared to other breeds at pup social, she wasn't the most coordinated until she was about 12-wk-old.

We did roll up and send our area rugs to the cleaners and lived rug-free until she was 16-wk-old-- she managed to soil every single one of them :-p
  • doooh what a cutie pie!!! ^_^
  • Miyuki is very much like Kaede and Kaya. She is independent and is standoff-ish with strangers at first. As she grows she will warm up and get used to people. Don't forget her whole world for the last eight weeks was Kaede my family and all the kids in the neighborhood. She only met a few adults.

When I brought Kaede home my mother came over. Kaede barked at her for a good solid five mins and refused to come see her. A month later they get along great. Kaede finally started to settle down as she got older.

I haven't really sat at my computer until now but I'm going to send out an email with contact information for you Maru.

She looks great, I'm glad you had a safe ride home.
  • "Sidenote: I stopped by a pet store to get her a leash. my boyfriend was outside keeping an eye on her and a woman parked next to us sort of passive aggressively suggested that we were doing something wrong by adopting a puppy instead of a rescue and that we had gotten her from a horrible BYB. i just thought it was funny because it was so far from the truth...she thought I bought the puppy in the parking lot XD"

That is classic. This is a big reason why I don't post my address or phone number on my website. There are some crazies out there. It's also why I love Akiho and JACA, when you place a puppy and the owner is part of the club, it's kinda like selling to family.
  • @*jackburton*,
    Us humans get adopted by the AKIHO club in return :-)
  • waw....she's adorable! Congrats on your new puppy!!
  • Akita puppies are the best. So cute!
  • wow she looks amazing :) Congrats!
  • Toki was like how Miyuki is at this age. I remeber thinking how weird it was that I had a puppy who liked his personal time and liked to be alone, lol. Looking back, I was spoiled by him. I hear horror stories of other puppies and in retrospect, I think Japanese Akita puppies are easy.

It hasnt changed for toki to like to be alone. Though I dont think it is so much him wanting to be alone as much as him lazily guarding the house. He chooses spots by the door or where he can see the door. At night, he will sleep in the corner of our bedroom where he can see us.
  • Congrats by the way! She is adorable :)))
  • i am fairly certain @*JackBurton* pulled the bait and switch and gave me a cat instead. she doesn't come when called, naps/cleans herself excessively, and sometimes she meows.

lol in all seriousness her personality is beginning to show and its hilarious. she is a toe biter for sure.

@rikumom she definitely isn't coordinated lol. I heard a loud yelp in the kitchen while my friend was playing with her. I ran out and it turns out she was playing and ran into the wall lol. she has successfully soiled one of our rugs....one down one to go lol.

@jellyfish yea! thats exactly what she does. she sleeps in the corner facing us...i hope she stays like this forever lol. she is definitely much easier than my shiba was.

so far...casualties are one area rug, one sock, and the heel of a shoe lol.

here's a video of her playing...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151631141283828&l=7308789690614786073

she LOVES fuzzy rugs. this is shortly before she peed on it lol.
  • edited April 2013
    Congratulations on your puppy! Perhaps we could set up a play date in the future. My wife and I will be bringing our puppy home in 2 weeks. Glad to see someone else in the bay area with a JA.
  • "i am fairly certain @*JackBurton* pulled the bait and switch and gave me a cat instead. she doesn't come when called, naps/cleans herself excessively, and sometimes she meows."

Some people say that you breed for Structure, Coat, and Temperament. But honestly you get stubbornness, cleanness, and felineness when you buy one of these dogs.

John, congrats on getting the pup. I talked to Ben this week and found out the good news. I'm glad it all worked out.
  • edited April 2013
    @jwgca - I see "Ollie" is your picture ! Congrats ! ;) @maru, congrats on Miyuki - she is such a cutie !
  • I'm glad as well Sean, Thank you. @kgima Thank you.
  • @jwgca congrats on your new pup! Puppy playdates would be fun =] can't have enough nihonken friends.

Miyuki pooped on a chair today. Not on the seating area but the footrest part. I'm not even mad...in fact I am impressed at how coordinated she is.
  • i am fairly certain @*JackBurton* pulled the bait and switch and gave me a cat instead. she doesn't come when called, naps/cleans herself excessively, and sometimes she meows.
    Better her behaving like a cat than shiba screams/barking her head off right?
    I'm curious and hope you're not seeing signs of separation anxiety either, I know that was one of your concerns when you first posted here about expecting an Akita

@jwgca,
    We in the South Bay. Our pup Meichan is a half-sibling of Ollie too!
  • @rikumom

Today is the first day that she's really been by herself and she is going nuts. I can hear her barking from the garage. I gave her toys and treats to occupy herself. I am hoping that this fades with time otherwise my neighbors aren't going to like me very much XD. I am considering getting those D.A.P sprays to see if it'll help.
  • Hum... let me know how she fares or how bad the damage is when you get home.

Before Meichan had all the shots to go to daycare, she cried and squawked whenever she couldn't see us. At first she was too little to do much damage, just noisy, but once she hit the 10-12 week mark she started to chew up the flooring and climb over the ex-pen (she was quite cat-like), she'd even drag her wee week pads around and pee/poo randomly. We had a DAP diffuser, which seem to help early on, but my neighbors did tell me they can hear her squawk.

• Back in 2009, I made this post about Kaede and her anxiety after I brought her home.

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/3484/separation-anxiety-help-and-advice-#Item_16

The big thing is that this little pup has lived with 4 other litter mates, her mother, my family, and a boat load of neighborhood kids. It's kinda of an adjustment switching to a new family. We had it really bad this morning, Kizuna literally lost it when I took Sumiko and Kiyoshi to the airport.

They work through it, just figure out a routine and stick to it. Sometimes it takes a few days, other times a week, Kaede was a little longer.