cairn terrier

edited April 2013 in Other Breeds
Anyone has owned or been around cairn terriers?

I never seen one in person so not sure on the breed.

How are they with other dogs? Are they yappy bark for no reason type of dogs?

Like I said before I love how Saya is silent unless needed or spots something off. She is loud during playing too, but I don't mind her loud shiba war cries.

My neighbor has a dachshund and omg she/he barks soon you step out of the house or sneeze..

Comments

• Bark, bark bark, BARK, bark bark bark BARK BARK BARK BARK!
    My neighbor has one. He's a sweetie, gets along with everybody, dogs and people alike, but he never seems to shut up.
  • Jeff's aunt had them- they are the kind of dog Toto is in the Wizard of Oz. Yes, Yappy bark for no reason type of dogs- or, What Pam Said! :)
  • edited April 2013
    I've not met too many cairn terriers (as in one) but this is what I can say of terriers in general: bark bark bark....as Losech said! And high pitched! Painfully so! (or at least my friend's border terrier is like that and my vets fox terriers are like that).

And I think terriers as a group are probably worse with other dogs than NKs are. They really need to be socialized well and managed. I went to an earth dog event awhile ago and ALL the terriers were muzzled, and they were still lunging at one another like crazy, and I think these were actually pretty well trained representatives, because they were show dogs and earth dog champions. It made me rethink the reactivity of say, Shibas, once I hung around all those terriers! (And this event was mostly border terriers, which many terrier people think are "terrier light.")

(one of my vet's fox terriers killed one on their other dogs. I think that is extreme, but I've since heard more cases of terriers killing other dogs, so....)
  • I love Cairn Terriers :D
    (and... most terriers people find particularly irritating)

That said, they do vocalize a lot. I don't think they bark for "no reason", but the reasons for which they bark are many, which can be annoying for people who have generally quiet dogs or dogs who only bark at things THEY think or can reason to be important.

I've known many Cairn Terriers. Many of them are combative with other dogs and very "gamey". They don't give up easy. They get riled easy. They like to be active and snarly when they're upset. They will let you KNOW how they feel and they will do it dramatically.

Often very sweet with people, though. :)
    Brindle isn't often my favorite color, but I really love brindle Cairns!
  • Oh, how cute they are!

I actually like terriers; I'm just glad I don't have one. Kind of like kids--I don't mind visiting with them, but am glad I don't have to take one home with me!
  • Adorable dogs on the grooming table. :)

My mom likes them from wizard of oz and person at work has one. Maybe we can arrange a visit to see this one.

I met one cairn terrier he was a young pup forgot how many months he played part of toto at local school play for wizard of oz it was cute. I pet him he really enjoyed the attention after the play was done.

I prefer spitz breeds myself, but always enjoy meeting different dog breeds.
  • They are not my favorite terriers. Feisty indeed, especially in groups.