Akuma is being weird...Thoughts?

So Akuma is usually pretty cool with me (Ryan) but lately he has been pretty cautious of me. For example Akuma will be laying on the ground just relaxing and I will walk by him and he will scamper away. I have never hit him or anything so I have no idea what his issue is. I know Kai typically do not like it when you loom over them but with my wife he has no issues. He has chosen her over me though lol I’m his hiking buddy and she is his cuddle buddy. Anyways or I will be standing and call him over and Akuma will act all cautious. He never used to be like that but now if I want him to come over I have to sit on the ground and then he will. Weirdo. Have any of you guys seen this happen. It has been a recent thing and nothing traumatic has happened to him. Btw I found out that he indeed can swim! He is not a emotional mess or anything it's just a little weird that's all. Any thoughts on what's going on would be helpful!

Ryan.

Comments

• How old is he?
  • I say no matter what the cause was, no matter if you can't figure it out ( it could even be that something random and not significant to you spooked him while you were present and in his sight, not even coming *from* you) either way, it's time for "The most awesome things happen when Ryan calls me!" Whatever he loves- cheese, ball, pats, Chase-Ryan!-games- roll it out. Gotta see Ryan if you want CheeseInAKong...(never chase Akuma)

Another thing is to try not to act concerned about it- hit your own Reset Button. "Ryan is not worried" I had to intervene in a snark yesterday- I didnt see what happened but Sage roared at Matsu's head, Matsu rolled over and started screaming- I ran in, yelled at them to cut the crap and sensitive Sage cowered and dropped his ears. I checked out Matsu- who wasnt even slobbered on, the big baby, and who has fantastic rebound "Oh! Im fine, Mom!" wagging and wiggling, picking up a toy, soliciting Sage. But Sage was still downcast.

I put Matsu in the living room to play with Juno and spent some time with Sage- I realized that sitting there being focused on him, quiet and "apologetic' (Sorry I yelled at you, man- puppies can be annoying, I know, good job not to actually bite him.) wasnt perking him back up one bit- he only could detect the seriousness, not the words. So I hit Reset, and smiled and looked at the river and talked happy to him w/o looking at him. I acted like it hadn't happened- like Matsu was already doing, he was ready to be with Sage as soon he got up on his feet again. I stopped thinking "what went wrong? Whats wrong with you? What did I miss?" I showed him some weird bark on the woodpile, got out his comb and he came over for a combing- and he lay in the sun and we had a nice normal time. That, I told myself, is forgiveness.

Just like you have to click the instant you see behaviors you want, you have to reward with your attitude the behaviors we want in that moment. I dont want conflict, but I do let them communicate and no harm was done, and that behavior was OVER. I had to show Sage that it was OVER for me too, and it woudl be better if I had let him SEE that the moment it was OVER. He is my teacher dog. I need to be more forgiving sooner and less lecturey anyway - with everybody. :)

So the lesson is only that when you work with reconnecting with Akuma, dont be all serious if you can help it because it will undermine your Good Stuff Training. "He has cheese, but he seems worried...I don't know...I mean, who's worried when they have cheese? This isnt right..."
  • @rafatturi Oh his half sister Mika is so like this. She always has been.

Ugg I just wrote this whole long post and it didn't go through. I'll have to write it later. I'm taking care of an ill dog, but basically Mika has an issue with "pressure". If she feels "pressured" ie me walking straight at her she will hide. She doesn't like spacial, physical, or emotional pressure of any kind.

With humans she will run and hide. With other dogs she will go into fight mode. It's easy to manage, but I have to go check on Koda. Sorry. I really had a good post.
  • @tjbart17 the feeling pressure is a good way to put it. Sachi does the exact same thing.
  • So the lesson is only that when you work with reconnecting with Akuma, dont be all serious if you can help it because it will undermine your Good Stuff Training. "He has cheese, but he seems worried...I don't know...I mean, who's worried when they have cheese? This isnt right..."
    That is an excellent way to put it. Nola also has an issue with pressure, although she is much better about it now that her medical issues are being treated. But she does still get nervous if I walk straight towards her, put my hands directly on her, or anything like that. She does much better if she knows that I am coming towards her but walks up with more of a 'curve' than a straight line. She also does better if I warn her before I put my hands on her (for example, 'oh what a good girl!' before I give her pets or try to pick her up).

I know that a lot of Nola's issues are due to a mass in her brain, but she is also just a soft dog that is very emotional.

• Wow guys thanks for the good advice. I work nights so he is around Ana a lot more than he is with me so maybe I will put some treats in my pocket for him when I come home. @ sunyata Akuma does the same thing with me if I walk by him from straight on I will try making it known to him that i'm coming to pet him and make more of a curve.

Akuma and I used to chase each other around the apartment, I would let him chase me then I would chase him then I would stop and he would turn around and want to play more. I haven't played that game with him for a while because one day I was chasing him around on all fours into the bedroom where we had never played before and he stopped and barked at me. It startled me a bit so I stopped playing with him and pet him and he seemed fine I got the tail wags and all of that but maybe that had something to do with it.

Another thing is I think he really wants a wife lol but that could be just me wanting another Kai. He met a girl dog the other day and really liked her. He ran around barking at her trying to get her to play it was a really good thing to see since usually he is not a huge fan of other dogs.
  • Kumi acts as tho we beat her. When you go to pet her head she is "wah... don't hit me *ducks*..." But then you pet her under the chin and she is like "oh, ok, cool, I want more".

Anyway, it may be coming from his "Kumi" side.

Also, what you describe is the way 99% of all dogs are with me. I've noticed tho, when I am stressed by work or lack of sleep, they will tend to be more weary of me... So, perhaps you are stressed about something?
  • We don't beat any of our dogs, btw.
  • LOL "we don't beat any of our dogs" It could be that, I am usually stressed or tired I should work on that. Tonight I gave Akuma some extra love and treats. It was cute he burried his head in my chest when I was petting his ears and started panting really loud so I stopped and he gave me a big nudge lol. Maybe I will just feed him more treats he likes those. He will probably always be a big mommas boy though anyways.
  • Don't feel bad Ryan, I know he really loves you both :) He was always body pressure sensitive here, and would often duck his head if I reached over him. I had to do collar grab games a lot, and he always acted like I beat him when trying to put a collar or harness on. Afterwards he would get all silly, "Oh, you didn't beat me afterall, and I am still alive, oh great, lets play!"

He seemed to be the most comfortable and chill when given his space and not made to feel trapped or pursued. I really wanted to hug on him, as he is so people focused, but some of my attempts at cuddling with him, I could tell made him a bit uncomfortable, although he was always very good and patient with it. He liked pats, chin rubs, body checks, tugging and other games more than hugs. Sometimes I would get barked at if I didn't play by Kai "rules", like if I moved suddenly, or did fake charges and play bows to get him to do zoomies, (which always sets my Shibas and CO off into wild play), but he would dash away, bark at me, and return to "assess" from a safe distance, before deciding play was warranted.

Don't feel bad :) Maybe try changing some of the play games, to where he won't be the target of a chase, but more the pursuer, if that makes sense. Like, instead of you going towards him to engage in play, find a way that gets him to want to come towards you, like chasing you while you drag a tug toy he likes.

I think he would love a Kai lady ;)
  • Ok so for the last couple of days I have been letting Akuma know when I am coming to pet him or mainly just calling him over. I have been playing more fetch with him and a little tug but no chasing or rough housing with him and he seems to enjoy that more. I have been rewarding him with treats when I am petting him and giving him a choice of either no treats and being alone or get pet and get treats. So far the treats have been winning him over. I am starting to get more tail wags and cuddles from him already. I am glad he bounces back so fast. Oh I almost forgot he actually followed me into the bedroom tonight which he has not done in a long time and jumped up on the bed to get pet. shhhhh don't tell mom though.....hehe. It's funny Ana could kick him and he would think she want's to play but if I walk past him weird he gets all weird. Goofball.

Lindsay, the other week he met a lady dog and both Akuma and here were off leash and Akuma was trying so hard to get the other dog to play it was funny. Bark bark bark circle run around bark some more ZOOOMIEES. I bet if I got him a Kai lady they would have a blast running around or at least Akuma would lol.