Akita Owners Defined

timtim
edited April 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
I found this online a while back, but made some modifications that I think improve it a bit, at least in terms of my experiences (and, of course, had to add MY dog into the picture...):

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Love it! Is that your girl in the last photo? (oops you said you did add her....:) )

I actually heard some people walking by our house one day, and when Oskar came out and rushed the fence, someone said "Holy shit, was that a polar bear?" As they kept walking, I heard the guy say "no really, that thing was as big as bear!" Now I can't give much credit to said walker's intelligence: Oskar is 110 pounds and a light grey color, but it did make me laugh.

And yes, people always ask me if he is a malamute!
  • edited April 2013
    I get husky, akita mix (hate that one the most! But probably since he's still a puppy and not filled out yet), elkhound (to their credit, Kota is colored somewhat like one), chow, and keeshond. (Can't figure out the chow one, ever.)
  • LOL I love the "What I think I have" picture.
  • That's great!

We get the 'Oh what a cute husky!' with Kuma all the time and with Kameko...... "Oh it's a white wolf' LOL
  • (Can't figure out the chow one, ever.)
    If you had a wooly like Ushi, you'd get Chow or Chow-mix more than anything else.

Having owned Chows for upwards of 15 years, I can attest that Akitas are NOT Chow Chows, LOL.
  • Keeshond? really...they are small and rather spherical in their fluffiness- and they wear spectacles! People dont know dog breeds well...
  • I love the Akita Owners graphic! I had a large, old fawn male with a rather cat-like face. I was walking him early one morning in the fog, and a woman asked me if he was a mountain lion! Another time I was walking my brindle longcoat in Berkeley, and a young man asked me if she was a hyena! To be fair, there was a research hyena colony in the Berkeley hills.