Puppies Born!

I've been lurking around the forum for a few months, but now I'm graduating to an actual post because I just got word from Katja that Kimi + Shogun's litter was born on April 1st! There are four healthy boys and I'm fourth in line, so one of the little rascals is mine if I so choose. I am so excited!! I'm also beginning my obligatory period of anxiety and impatience while I wait for the day to bring my new puppy home! Holy crap!

I've really appreciated the wealth of info I've found on the site already, it has helped a lot with my decision to get a Shikoku and what to expect during the early puppy days. So thanks to all!

I've attached some pics that I got from Katja of pups @ three hours old and I'll add to this thread as I get more photos. Any comments welcome! Anyone met the parents or have dogs from litters by either? Anyone else getting one of these puppies on the forum? Any tips for handling the waiting anxiety?

Kimi and Shogun pups 3 hours old B

Kimi & Shogun pups 3 hours old A

Kimi & Shogun pups 3 hours old

Comments

• Congratulations! How exciting for you. I look forward to seeing these puppies mature. Kimi is the mother of my 3 year old female named Sachi (her father is Katja's Kuma). My female is a lovely dog, and very loyal to our family.

Shogun was just imported as a puppy last year by Katja, Mac, and me, so he has not yet had any puppies as he is still young. I have heard that he has a really nice temperament (he lives with Mac and Katja, though I co-own him, he has not yet been used for breeding by me given his age). This is his first litter with Kimi.
  • Congratulations! Love the pictures :)

• congrads again always good talking to you

dont forget to post spam haha
  • Congrats :)!
  • Congrats mom looks beautiful.
  • Yay! Shikoku blobs!
  • It's a band of brothers!
  • Yay, congrats! That's exciting.
  • Congrats! How exciting!
  • @Edgewood - thanks for all of the great info. Great to hear that Sachi turned out to be such a nice addition to your family and that both parents apparently have great temperaments as well. Does Sachi have a thread or any pictures up on the forum?

@Crispy - yea, they basically look like potatoes right now. their little color coded collars are flippin adorable though

I've started to compulsively buy puppy supplies already. I got two medium sized crates off of Craigslist for 50 bucks yesterday-- one adjustable wire and one soft sided travel crate. One of my better CL buys :)
  • edited April 2013
    @twobirds - nothing updated on the NHK in a while, but here are my Facebook photos. I hope that you can see this album

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1288326742489.40356.1659815966&type=3

And here she is playing with my female puppy I just imported from Japan (she will have a date with Shogun eventually)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/894995_10200449256108175_660673078_o.jpg
  • I'll be a owner of one of those rascals also @edgewood
  • me too things worked out well hah
  • Oh wow congratulations you guys! That's extremely exciting to have more Shikoku owners.

@Edgewood Your import puppy is beautiful :)
  • Congratulations everyone! I really do look forward to seeing how these Kimi x Shogun pups mature. They do all look to have gotten their parents dark coat color. And Shogun is a very nice male from a very prestigious breeding program in Japan, so that is good that we were lucky to get him to North America.
  • Kris, sorry for asking in this thread and if I missed an update, but did you ever breed Sachi and Kuma?
  • @Zinja - yes, but Sachi did not get pregnant last time. Hopefully this next heat it will work.
  • I've been out of town for a bit and just saw all of these updates.

@edgewood thanks for the photos! Sachi is lovely!

@MikoChan Are you getting one of the pups from the current litter between Kimi and Shogun? I seem to remember you live in Portland, right? I do as well and it would be great to have puppy siblings in the same town!

Here are some one week photos for those of you who haven't seen them:
    Kimi & Shogun pups 1 week A (2)

Kimi & Shogun pups 1 week A (1)
  • Puppyblobs. So stinkin' cute!
  • so cute! congrats : )
  • omg I just got that one yesterday. can you believe how adorbs they are? unreal. Katja has been calling them by their collar names i.e. Mr. Yellow and Mr. Purple
  • haha cute does anyone know which one they're getting?
  • Omg adorable!!
  • Congrats!!!! It is very exciting to get a new puppy. I had one of Hime's girl a few months ago. I'm glad I did not wait it out. Kimi with 4 boys, wow!!!! You must be very happy. :-)
  • aw, *almost* as cute as a pile o' kai puppies ;) j/k

Seriosuly, though- they look SO shikoku, even at this early an age- and I dont mean color, I mean shape. Eye shape, nose shape. It's amazing!

As much as the NK are alike, I enjoy how different they are from each other too. Like how, even though they are both black and tan, shiba Tetsu and shikoku Miyu look different. A black brindle akita doesnt look like a large kai. A red akita doesnt look like a big shiba. A white JA will not be mistaken for a big kishu...

just love it! Congrats on these pups, you lucky owners-to-be!
  • Like how, even though they are both black and tan, shiba Tetsu and shikoku Miyu look different.
    LoL, sad to say but I never really got an "is that a shiba?" question until after Miyu came along.
  • yeah but that's from Know-Littles. :)
  • edited April 2013
    its great to see another shikoku litter. i met shogun last year and hes a great looking dog. i cant wait to see more pics of these guys as they get a little older.

kimi is also Ghost's mother and he was from a litter of 5 males as well. eljefespeaks and brandnjess who are on the forum own 2 of the other brothers in his litter. its great to see more shikoku owners here in the pacific northwest. hopefully we all get to meet one of these days!