Could this pup be kai ken?

edited April 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)

Also black spotted tongue, great personality: loves kids, nice manners, clean, not much of a chewer. His ears are becoming more errect each week. Adopted out of a shelter in a podunk town on the nevada/arizona border.

I almost never take photos and the guy was not experienced in handling a dog so the pics really are terrible - sorry!

Comments

• Could be
  • A mix at best- the back legs arent very NK.
  • Looks kai at some angles and not others, so probably not. Possible mix. Who knows?
  • I thought with the wedge head shape, triangular eye, lack of white, spotted tongue, and all that great brindle, the size and that confidently friendly yet somewhat apart personality - it had to be at least a mix. Do these pups go through an awkward stage? What kind of feet to Kai Ken have? Also, I was surprised that as an obvious teenager, he does not sneak out the feeble fence the family has.

Oh well - how would he have gotten to such a desolate place...
  • My dog as an adult sees fences as insults to her wandering
  • I can't really see those pics well enough to tell, honestly. They're so small! The shape doesn't look quite right or the ears for sure, but could be a mix.

Where is the desolate place the dog is?

My Kai Ken never had an awkward stage. Seriously,he was always pretty cute and graceful. And he has cool feet...nice neat little feet, and not wierd long toes like some other dog breeds have. (I have just realized lately that non NKs that have distinct "toes" rather than a neat, compact foot kind of freak me out a bit. I think someone else on the forum mentioned a similar reaction once).

• @shibamistress I am also freaked out by small dog feet and hare paws. LOL.
  • Well, this guy has longish toes so I guess he is not kai ken. The desolate place is Bullhead City Az. He was picked up at the local shelter. I really talked him up, hoping the family will value him. Even if he's not a kai, he is still a very nice dog and I hope the best for him.
  • @shibamistress I am also freaked out by small dog feet and hare paws. LOL.
    Ha! I was thinking it might be you who mentioned it once, but I couldn't remember for sure! It's a recent development for me....I kind of feel like I never really noticed how odd they were before! But for me it's not just small dogs--it's long toed dogs, like GSDs too!
    Well, this guy has longish toes so I guess he is not kai ken. The desolate place is Bullhead City Az. He was picked up at the local shelter. I really talked him up, hoping the family will value him. Even if he's not a kai, he is still a very nice dog and I hope the best for him.
    Oh, it might not mean that. Probably the dog is a mix, anyway, and you never know how things are going to turn out with mixes. So could still be a Kai mix!