The Low Pressure Blues

Sage is a barometer dog- when pressure is low he gets mopey, then melancholy, then morose. He has been slinky and sad for a couple of days with only spurts of joy and playfulness. He licks when he gets down in the dumps. When we walk he is slow and wary. He sighs. He still had the blahs this morning, too.

However a front came through early this afternoon with a lot of wind and high pressure is moving into place- he eyes are sparkling again, he is bringing me toys and soliciting play from the other dogs too. He walks brightly and went to the end of the road on our leash walk where as yesterday he was balky and uninterested and turned back at his minimal distance which is to ascend the hill and pee on as high a snowbank as he can in front of the coonhounds' house. "okay, i guess I'll take a walk. but only to stick it to those coonhounds."

Eeyore --> Tigger in one dog in one day. What makes a dog (or a person) so pressure sensitive? water? does he need full spectrum lightbulbs? melatonin? I dont need him to be Tigger all the time, but it makes me sorry for him when he's all Eeyorish. Maybe I just need to love and accept his inner Eeyore...maybe its a human perception problem. I cant remember a time in his life when he wasn't like this, and its been acceptable to me except that I wonder if there's something simple that everybody else knows that alleviates some of the low pressure blues...

Anybody else see this in dogs? My other three are not affected- I think some of them enjoy the downtime of a cloudy or rainy day the way a person enjoys the time to stay in and read a book and have tea or eat a certain comfort food. I wish Sage wanted to read a book and drink tea...

Comments

• Huh, that's interesting! I dunno if any of my dogs are like that. I'll have to watch them now when the weather changes.
  • That's so interesting! When I taught in Poland, my students used to complain about "the pressure" all the time, and a lot of them were really sensitive to it. I'm not particularly, I don't think, though I am sensitive to a lack of light.

I wonder what it is? Does the pressure feel different? So interesting the other dogs don't feel it either.

In our house, thunderstorms bother some of us and energize some of us. Bel is noise sensitive, so she gets afraid. Leo and Oskar don't seem to care. But Toby and I both feel all charged up by it, and Toby likes to go outside in the wind and thunder (as long as it's not too wet) and he stands there and sniffs and listens and seems really charged up and excited.

Interesting!
  • huh, maybe it's an inner ear thing?
  • I don't know if pressure is the total issue as part of inner ear. Our trainer has three deaf dogs and they have on and off days. She asks via signing if they want to come to work and sometimes they will just turn around and go upstairs to bed. When that happens she just takes it for what it is and leaves that dog at home.

Snf
  • I get that with Tom, he's my barometer. When the pressure is low, he'll get major migraines and act all mopey. When the pressure is up or rising, his head doesn't bug him and he's in a pretty good mood. It's pretty interesting how some can be so pressure sensitive, while others aren't
  • I'm a little pressure sensitive~ When the pressure is low, my knee starts hurting and I get headaches. Sometimes they're borderline migranes, but usually I'm in a bad mood. I don't think there is anything other than wanting to curl up in bed, or read a good book that will cheer me up. Sunshine cheers me up! Maybe one of those UV lightbulbs or something might help, but I never tried...