Akiko Akitas

edited March 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
I just emailed the owner/breeder of "Akiko Akitas" because she (Nancy) lives across the street from where I work and she runs an overnight boarding/grooming facility from her home. I needed a place to refer my intact and "unfit for Camp Bow Wow" clients, so I contacted her so we could get to know one another and see if it was a place I would feel 100% comfortable with sending my clients. I'm awaiting an email back.

Anyway, I'm just making a post to ask if anyone had heard of Akiko before - she breeds American Akitas and after some facebook stalking (because I can't find information on her dogs on her website), I've seen her dogs now and they look pretty fabulous. I guess she's been breeding for quite a while and the reviews I can find on her and her kennel are all pretty positive.

I kind of love this brindle pinto:

But then there's this guy:
who I really like... even though I know he's a tweenie.

Comments

• Well I wouldn't say that she is concentrating on American Akitas. It seems, looking at the photo, that she has a thing for the Akitadoodle as well.

But I gotta give credit to where credit is due, she does her health checks. Taking the tweenie thing out of the equation, I think it is a very good sign when people do health checks.

http://www.offa.org/results.html?page=16#results

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/news/x1264319903?zc_p=1#axzz2MQPL7Y6Q
  • @*JackBurton* -I like what I can see of her facility from the road, which is why I emailed her. It always looks very clean and the dogs get to interact with one another; I know she has a few people on as kennel staff to help keep things clean, but the dogs always look very well cared for and I was, overall, impressed. I'm excited to hear back from her to see everything a little closer.

I was a little unsettled by seeing the tweenie litter. I don't really see why anyone who is active in either breed would want to breed an AA to a JA. I guess the sire was a JA named Benny or Beni? I tried poking around on OFA to see, but he's not there - looks like he had another litter, but I can't tell if they're tweenies or JAs.

ANYWAY, breeding practices aside, I hope everything is as amazing and sunny inside as it looks from the road.
  • edited March 2013
    Well like the one tweenie breeder said to me... "You like that? Gives her just the touch of the orient."

Totally fits in here lol. I could of sworn American Akitas were Akitas too.

@Crispy, I agree on the breeding practices. But in all honesty that is on the ACA and the AKC. You know the old saying, don't hate the player hate the game. I just wished that people would come out and say that they are doing that. Reading that article and looking at the OFA she gets a big hats off from me. That is a life long commitment to her kennel.
  • I thought I had heard about her in this forum at some point, and turns out, I did!

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8004/amazing-story-about-an-akita-breeder
    This is the same breeder brought up in this thread. :)