Attention problems outside of home, teething, potty train. Also, what else tricks to teach him?

edited February 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
He's about 15 weeks old, 2 months and 1 week.

I've taught him how to sit, lay down, shake, and stay. (He only stays when I have a treat, however he won't stay if I don't have anything to offer him) but he sits, lays down, and shakes with or without a treat.

When I bring him outside with me to grab coffee or outside seating lunch, he always gets distracted. He will not listen to me when we're outside. He won't sit, or do anything even if I have a treat. If I attempt to with a treat he'll just get distracted and look at something else. Anyone know why? Is this a main problem for akitas?

How long until does it usually take to fully potty train and for them to stop teething?

He still teeths, and sometimes I feel like he's potty trained and then he'll pee/poop in my house or in my room.

I am currently potty training him to go outside in the backyard, but my place is mixed with carpet/hardwood so I hope that doesn't confuse him. And do you guys suggest me using pee pads as well as bringing him outside often or does that confuse him?

I have been keeping him in the crate, but I DO want to let him roam freely when I'm gone, when do you think is the best time/age to remove the crate and replace it with a bed?

Also what else tricks should I teach him?

Thanks.

Comments

• Woah slow down buddy. Your puppy is just a baby. You're expecting way too much from him too quickly. He's going to have potty accidents. He's going to chew on everything. He's going to be easily distracted. Let him be a puppy, let him play and explore and develop. He's only a puppy once and you have his entire adult life to teach him "tricks."

By the way, teething occurs when he loses his baby teeth and replaces them with adult teeth around 5-7 months old. Puppies just like to chew on things. They don't have hands, so its the only way they can investigate new stuff and learn about the world.
  • I agree with @poeticgragon. Puppy stage is hard and sometimes painful (biting), but it important and it'll pass. Let your pup explore, of course don't let him chew on your shoes or furniture. Replace unwanted chewing things with his toys and chews. I would keep him crate until he's a little more than a year.
  • Wow for his age he is doing great. It takes a little while for dogs to get past the distractions when you are out so just be patience. As far as potty training just make sure to praise ( I say goodboy and pet them) when they go outside. As far as chewing ha ha well they are gonna chew things up. Can't get away from it so I give them pig ears to chew on. I had a dog chew up all my blinds and destroy my bathroom once. Was my fault because I let him inside (doggie door) seems it is so hot in the summer here in az. He is a puppy so boredom and exploring drive him to chew on stuff. And once he understands here to go potty and that chewing shoes is not acceptable he will be fine. Good luck
  • Has he gone thru Sirius puppy training? They are great for teaching the owners how to deal with distractions, and the pups socialization/bite inhibition
  • Get him a lot of chews like bully sticks. It will help with the teething. With regards to leaving him out, my pup is about 7 months old and is still crated at night and from 830 am until 1-2 pm. Of course every dog is different and you know best whether you can trust your dog out. I don't want to deal with him chewing on things, we have a ton of hoses, random crap around and I don't dont want to chance it.
  • Don't use potty pads. I got my shiba at almost 2 years old and her first owner used them. Now she refuses to potty outside and is strictly paper trained. Whike I love her dearly and don't mind cleaning up after her, I do wish sometimes that I had gotten her as a pup and been able to house train her. The messes will eventually stop. Heck, my chi is a ninja pooper and it took over a year, but now we dont have any messes from her and at around a year and a half, I could trust her to roam in my house with no "presents" or chewed up shoes.