Potato Pancakes Grows Up

edited June 2013 in Other Breeds
Meet Miss Potato Pancakes, my coworker's majestic young puppy:

I thought you guys could help identify breed just out of curiosity. She was listed as a Chow X, but she's HUGE. I'd say Akita huge. The mom was a yellow Labrador X with tiny ears. She has the fattest little curliest puppy tail ever. She's pretty honkin' adorable.

Comments

• Aawwwwwwww! Look at the smooshy fat face!

Some labs get pretty big. Could be chow or akita. The wrinkly face certainly reminds me of a chow. Sooo cute no matter what, that's for sure!
  • @hondru - That's what I thought too, but the mom was nice and medium sized. I think she had some kind of bully in her, but looked mostly Labby. This girl has a playful personality lile a Lab, but is cautious with people.

I can't wait to see how she grows up. She's so rolly!
  • OMG adorable! Is her name really Potato Pancakes?
    Looks like a Lab X Chow to me. Possibly Akita mix on one side.
  • Cute. Potato pancakes is an interesting name. There was a lab I met named chicken biscuit.
  • I LOVE the name! She is so adorable!! Looks like what most everyone else said is what I'm going to agree with. Lab and chow with some akita sprinkled in. Call her a chowkitador!
  • @Losech - Her name is Pancake. I call her Potato as a joke... and Potato Pancake is what stuck among the employees now.

She's 12/13 weeks and 22 pounds. She's a rotund little pup. ;)

I like Chowkitador. I'll tell my coworker than. Her other dog is a Chow/Jindo/Lab (supposedly). Pancakes looks similar, but not quite the same. She's much heavier in bone structure and her face is much broader than his.

She's a little in love with Chows and Jindos now. I'm trying to turn her onto NK, but Takoda isn't really helping me any. :p
  • Handsome dog!
  • She is super cute!
  • Aww! Cute pup.
  • Potato Pancakes = Latkes! Mmmm delish! :D
  • I don't know much about chows, but her eyes look NK to me.

Btw, her name made me think of this:
  • @paranoidparrot - I will serenade Miss Potato Pancakes with this song from now on. I also thought her eyes looked very NK!

I figured I'd give you guys an update on how she's growing. She really still looks very "Akita-ish" to me.

• The coat texture (throat chest area) and huge ears look very much like GSD. Any curl in the tail at all?

Labs have wrinkles in the forehead like chows do. My guess is she's got GSD or some sort of shepherd in her
  • Look at those paws!
  • edited March 2013
    @Rikumom - AAs often appear somewhat "shepherd"ish when they're young.

At least... everyone thought my AA (when we were really young, we had an AA as a family dog) was a GSD mix (he was reddish on the face and body with white "stockings" and tail tip).

Her coat is pretty coarse. Her tail has gotten progressively curlier as she's gotten older. It was more of a sickle as a baby (in the first pictures) and now it curls completely over her back. It's VERY thick. She's getting very wary of strangers now that she's getting older, even with the healthy socialization she gets.

She has huge paws. The rescue said she'd be about 50 pounds full grown. I laughed.
    Her "mom" is happy with her anyway and usually says she's Chow and Akita - she wanted a dog who would be similar to her Chow/Jindo/Lab X in temperament and she sure got it. :)

I think she's going to be very handsome when she grows up - as strange as it is to apply "handsome" to a girl. :p
  • I like her.
  • Ah, I forget AAs look different than JAs, and most of the AA's I've met are full grown show dogs at AKC shows. She's only 4/5 months old now?

Our friend has a lab/chow the same age as Meichan. The coat is short and glossy like a lab, ears are tiny like a chow. As a puppy she looked more like a black version of Potato but now she looks very different at 9-month-old now and >60#. Super high energy, they run/walk 7 miles/day!!
  • I don't think she really looks AAish, though maybe an AA/GSD mix? Looks more GSD to me in the most recent pic, but kind of AA in the earlier ones.

Cute, anyway.
  • edited May 2013
    More Potato Pancakes, growing up. She's about... 6 months now? I dunno.
    I love this puppy. She's too cute. Her tail curls more and more every time I see her!

I love that both of my coworker's dogs have purple/purple spotted tongues.
    Rooney's is entirely purple and Pancakes has a splotchy purple/pink tongue.
    Our yards looked gross here. :( We just re-did them (dug them deeper so you'd never see dirt, used crushed limestone on the bottom to neutralize odors and smaller pea-gravel to fill the yards in)

• Aww, she's so cute!
  • I saw the puppy pic (che bella! Btw) at girst glance I definitley thought chow x
  • edited May 2013
    that looks like a jindo, it looks a lot like my Cormac who is also half chow chow
  • edited May 2013
  • edited May 2013
    @exempt - I never really thought about Jindo since we don't have many around here (I don't think I've seen any, actually). She could be! Maybe @ayk can weigh in on what she thinks? I know she knows Jindos, too...

Pancakes is a very handsome (pretty?) puppy. She's funny - and I see a lot of similarities to an Akita in her personality... but that might just be because I'm familiar with the American Akita. She's cautious of strangers, but not overly so - suspicious and quiet. She won't become aggressive with a stranger, but she goes through the "wait until I've figured you out" retreat. With other dogs, though, she's rough-and-tumble and wants to go-go-go. She's never met a dog who was a stranger.

It may also worth mentioning that her older dog (in the first picture of the last post) was a supposed Jindo/Chow & Lab mix.
  • Ah, I wouldn't have ID'ed Jindo in her as my first choice.
  • edited June 2013
    I thought I'd update, since everyone loves our curly-tailed dogs here.

Ms. Pancakes is now bigger than her "brother" and still growing. She'll probably be a larger medium/smaller large dog. I love her. I'm so jealous. :p
  • OMG!!! I'm so jealous TOO!! She's beautiful...I love her facial expression :D
  • Aww! She is precious!!!
  • Pretty! She maybe looks even a little less Akita-ish now. the Carolina dog is a good guess...she really looks like one!

Her name though! Poor dog!
  • edited June 2013
    I LOVE Carolina dogs!!! My sister's dad's Carolina dog just passed away recently...but man was he one of the most well behaved, athletic, loving dogs and one of the most beautiful I've ever met in my life. Miss the dude :) He is now replaced by a goofy-crazy-lovey-derpy vizsla...but i still love the vizsla too :D

Here's Fellow, the Carolina Dog :) (and in the very last picture, little Rascal...whom my mom was still trying to figure out how to groom lol!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95141955@N04/9069938813/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95141955@N04/9072166442/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95141955@N04/9069940285/

Again for some reason pictures aren't going up correctly, so here's just links :P