Kai Ken Growth Rate
  • Ginko is growing up fast, can't believe I've had him for almost a month already (feels like 6 months.)

Anyways, when I got him at 4 months he weighed 16.7 lbs.

I weighed him a few days ago and he's up to 21.4 lbs. He will be 5 months old this Sunday the 24th.

Is this a normal size for his age? I expected him to be bigger. Should I be expecting growth spurts at any certain times? At what age was your Kai fully grown?

Thanks guys!
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    It sounds about right. Goro was a BIG Ayu pup and he was around 20 pounds at 3 months... but he's a beast. Ginko's littermate Matsu seems to be heading down the same path of large Kai as Goro. Ginko could end up being Nio's size. Kai are medium size dogs. We often tell people that they are smaller than they look in pictures. Every once in a while you get large KKA kai like Goro and Matsu.
  • He eats his food every day; but I'm thinking about switching to a different brand just to give him more quality food and calorie intake. He's a very active pup when I'm home.

He is definately growing though, the cage I have him in now is almost too small for him. When I got him it seemed giant. I really don't have a problem if he does end up being on the smaller side, but man it seems strange that Matsu is so much larger than Ginko..
  • Matsu is probably 30 or 31 lbs. He is bigger than Juno who I know is 28. I will try to get an exact weight on him tonight. My brother and sister are a lot taller than i am, its just how families are. :) Ginko is very red and - ive always thought- very handsome!

I think Matsu is the top end for the litter- you need to hear from Orry and Misaki and Sumiko too for a better average. @montanakai @mysticrhythms
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-02-20 10:39:49
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Well Leo, Goro's littermate, is much smaller than Goro. Some pups have different genes. Matsu probably picked up the large 50 lb. gene from Ayu like Goro did.
    Post edited by Hinata23 at 2013-02-21 07:46:35
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Yeah Misaki is tiny compared to Matsu.
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    @nrmorris What food are you feeding him, by the way? Earthborn is really great because of it's high in protein. It's the one Brad feeds his dogs and it's what our dogs eat.
  • cdenneycdenney
    Kai and hokka are on the small side of the Nippo medium dog scale. If I'm to understand the book "Japanese dogs" right its is part of why kais have their own breed club.

I would say not as a breeder or long time expert that your average female kai is low 30s and male kai is in the high 30s. Though @yandharr, cszeig, sjp051993 and I all have kai under 30lbs, male and female. (sorry if I butchered names). Unless he gets the 'big' gene he might only be as tall as your knee.

He def has several more months of growth and will at any size be able to be the activity partner you want, trust me I've seen my girl for run for more than an hour and not be tired, but sticking to a good high protien food is always a plus.
  • ZinjaZinja
    @Hinata23 I feed my dogs Earthborn too. After Evo got sold, I found Earthborn worked well with pieces of raw meat. Eevee is 55lbs (but she needs to lose some weight) and gets fed 3 cups a day. Ninja, AA, gets fed 3 cups too. Sasuke, who was a 30lbs Shiba, got fed 3 cups as well, but he had a fast metabolism.
    -Joe
    Post edited by Zinja at 2013-02-20 11:13:32
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I think Ginko will be on the smaller side - I'd expect him to finish around 40lbs. Kai are typically fully grown height-wise by 9 months or so - but they continue to fill-out to 3 years or even later.
  • @nrmorris I have one of your pup's brothers, Orry. I haven't weighed him for quite some time now, but I would guess he's somewhere inbetween Ginko and Matsu. He's probably about as tall as Matsu, but he's not quite as thick, at least that's my take based on photos. Based on his growth, I think Orry will be about 40lbs...maybe 45lbs at the high end.

I've heard of few ways to project adult weight for medium sized breeds, which provide ballpark figures at best. There's a lot of variation based on breed and the individual pup. One that I did for Orry, was to take his weight at 14 weeks, multiply it by 2, and then add half of the starting weight. In other words, Orry weighed 17.5lbs at 14 weeks, so this method projects his adult weight to be 43.75lbs ((17.5*2)+(.5*17.5)). If you know some of his earlier weights, you could you use this method as an estimate.

Some more "rule of thumb" type methods that I've heard: a pup weighs about 45-50% of its adult weight at 4 months and about 65-70% at 6 months. Again, these are just loose estimates for medium sized breeds...they may be way off for other breeds, but at least in Orry's case they seem to be pretty reasonable.

• Myabee09Myabee09
    @nrmorris I have one of Ginko's sisters and my little Shelby is probably about 20lbs now. Last time she was weighed (feb 5) she weighed 18.5lbs. Shelby is getting close to knee height. When she jumps up on me (her way of asking me to hold her) her feet are almost to my waist and I'm 5'7".

I've been feeding Shelby Bil-jac and she gets a little over 1 cup twice a day. I've been feeding Bil-jac to my other dogs as well. My Shiba (she's a bit on the petite side, judging by everyone else's weight and size comments for Shiba) weighs about 16lbs and she eats 3/4 cup a day. This is enough for her to be full and happy.

Hope this helps you gauge Ginko's growth. :)
    Lauren
  • Matsu is 29.5 lbs officially and a thick tonka truck of a kai.
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Mika was 36 pds. at 6 mos old, and I don't think she's gained much more, maybe 1 pd. She's short and stalky, but thin when you look at her stomach indentation.

Koda was 51 pds. by 9 mos. of age. He will turn 4 in April and is still there. Lately he's a piglet, so he may have gained a pound. He's so thin though that it's a good thing.
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    LOL on Koda. Tora has been a piglet lately as well. I think she has put on a few pounds. She is probably about 35 pounds now.
    Stacey living with Tora, Kazue, Ritsu and Kuma the Shiba
    www.suteishiikennels.com

DSCF0686IMG_0940 - Version 2DSCF0714IMG_1151

10443860_10202258803333634_2133731540_n
  • brittkbrittk
    I got Kaiya at about 4.5 months and she weighs within 2-4 pounds of that weight (she was 26 pounds or so) at her current 2.5 years. She is between 28-30 pounds and has been since probably 6 months. I think she grew pretty quickly though.
    Loving my Kai-ya :)
  • @Hinata23 originally I was feeding him Iams (we had a major snowstorm the day I got him so I just grabbed the food I could.)

Now that the bag is pretty much gone, I was thinking about switching to Blue Buffalo grain free. Any thoughts? I would have to order Earthborn, it's not available near me. I checked the website.

And Ginko weighs 22.3 lbs, and stands 17 inches tall at the shoulders as of today. Thanks for all the input guys, wasn't sure what to expect.
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    Any high quality grain free would be good for him. Just check around for what is available near you.
    www.suteishiikennels.com

• Hinata23Hinata23
    You can look dog food up on this website: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

These are the best dry foods: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-dry-dog-foods

:)
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    I like dogfoodanalysis.com
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Ooh, haven't been to that one. Thanks!
  • cdenneycdenney
    @nrmorris I have a bag of earthborn brand new that i wont be using. split shipping with me and its yours if not @ttddinh could use it for her pups.
    Post edited by cdenney at 2013-02-20 23:25:45
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    @cdenney Is it giving Sachi girl really bad gas?
  • cdenneycdenney
    no about three weeks in she refused to eat it no matter what I put on it. would eat everything else so I assume she was just done with it. we are on a raw and kibble mix right now that is giving her a ton of energy and everything is normal so I figure keep going with this until the next time she tires out.
  • Well Leo, Goro's littermate, us much smaller than Goro. Some pups have different genes. Matsu probably picked up the large 50 lb. gene from Ayu like Goro did.

Yes, Leo is smaller than Goro. I don't know how much he weighs--we haven't weighed him in awhile, but he was not quite up to 40 pounds the last time we took him to the vet (which was several months ago).

I think Ginko will be on the smaller side - I'd expect him to finish around 40lbs. Kai are typically fully grown height-wise by 9 months or so - but they continue to fill-out to 3 years or even later.

Leo really surprised me by having a recent growth spurt. He'll be a year old in a couple of weeks, and I noticed his growth in height about a month ago (maybe two tops). He grew a couple of inches taller. He used to be the same height as Bel (large female Shiba) but now he is significantly taller. I did just measure him recently, but I never remember numbers well. I think he was about 18-19 inches at the withers.

I think he's a pretty good size overall.

Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • Mike283Mike283
    Toshi was pretty much full size at 7 months (42lbs), I weighed him often and out it into a chart app. he's about 45lbs now so I don't expect much more weight gain. his male litter mate is over 52lbs though and the females are all in the 30s I think
  • knechaknecha
    Wow, I missed the boat on this one earlier. I have Misaki and she is 21.6 lbs now. I will say that she was heavier than Ginko when he left Brad's. I was freaking out about her weight compared to Mr. Matsu at 16lbs vs 24lbs which was a few weeks before Ginko left. :) I have been feeding her slices of raw meat in the morning along with her food. We recently switched to Earthborn Holistics Coastal Catch due to our other pup Jiro's stomach not liking the Innova Puppy Vantage. She just recently had a huge growth spurt.
  • I will say that there is no reason to try to make dogs grow faster by giving them a special food. Too fast puppy growth is not a good thing--slow steady growth is much better. That's why some breeders of large and giant breeds recommend not too much protein in a puppy diet.

Just find a good food you lik that fits your feeding philosophy and agrees with the dog, and go with it, but don't try to find something to make them grow faster.
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    @knecha Mandi, you should make a thread of Sachi and another one of Jiro!
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    Mike is correct. Kazan is around 52 pounds. He was always the largest of the litter. Kazue holds steady at 32 pounds which is the same weight as her mother and I believe Ren has been hanging around the 28 pound range. There can we a wide variety within a litter.
    www.suteishiikennels.com

• tjbart17tjbart17
    @sjp051993 how tall is Kazan? Is he like his uncle Koda? Tall and thin?
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    I am not sure. The only recent pics I saw of him did not give a good pic of his overall frame. He was always a very thick boned pup.
    www.suteishiikennels.com

• Orry's dealing with a bit of stomach issue, so I had to take him to the vet yesterday. Anyway, he weighed in at 28.3lbs. He's 5 months old. Considering his weight and age, I think he'll finish close to the 45lb mark.
  • Mike283Mike283
    @5 months, Toshi was 32.4lbs
  • knechaknecha
    @Hinata23 I think I will!

I'm sorry if my earlier post seemed like I was encouraging fast growth or was trying to make my pup grow more with special food. That was not my intention with that post. Just trying to give my input to what Saki has liked and what we have been giving her.
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    Matsu is 32.5 today. he's 5 months +1 week. I dont have to look carefully anymore to see that he's bigger than Juno, and I can't believe we used to confuse him with the cat at a glance...
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-03-06 13:31:16
  • nrmorrisnrmorris
    Well, Ginko is coming in at 24.8 lbs at 5 months + 12 days. Definitely on the smaller side :)
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    Shelby has to be closing in on 30. She feels like a chunk of lead when I pick her up now and she just had another growth spurt. She goes to the vet on the 19th for her spay, so I'll have an exact weight then.
    Edit: I measured Shelby 2 days ago and she is 15 inches at the withers. Still not sure of her exact weight.
    Lauren
    Post edited by Myabee09 at 2013-03-13 19:36:48
    Okay, 5 months and 12 days- they ARE brothers... ;)
  • nrmorrisnrmorris
    hahaha i honestly did not even look at the time of your post!
  • LynnCLynnC
    Tomo was 27 pounds when he was 5 months old. He is a brother to tjbart17's Mika.
    Matsu is 33.8 lbs today - 5 months + 27 days . his growth is entering a slower period, as @brada1878 said it would. :) He feels pretty heavy when i pick him up- and if I think about it - I buy a 30lb bag of dog food, so he weighs more than the dog food.
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-04-02 16:08:56
    I was just going thru Juno's papers and looks like she was still growing at 11 months (22lbs) but by 13 months she was at full weight (28 lbs) from which she hasn't budged since (she is now 2 yrs, 2 months old.) She was 7.2 lbs at 8 weeks when she came to me and 11 lbs at 10 weeks, 14 lbs at 13 weeks. Really different from Matsu, who was 8 lbs at 8 weeks, but 24 lbs at 16 weeks.
  • Leo is now 40.6 pounds. He was 1 year old in mid March. He was weighed yesterday while being neutered. :(

He grew taller at around 11 months. I don't expect him to grow anymore though.
    Matsu is 35.2 lbs today- which is just as @Calia guessed when she lifted him on Saturday- a little less than shikoku Miyu (37lbs). Matsu will be 7 months old in 1 week and 1 day. :)
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-07-26 20:07:58
  • CaliaCalia
    LoL, after picking up Miyu enough times, it's not hard to tell if another dog weighs more or less than her. I think Matsu may actually be slightly taller than her though as last I checked she was at 19.5"
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    So I had to weigh and measure Shelby after reading this again. She is about 18" at the withers and she weighs 29.6 pounds as of today. Her height growth has showed down a bit, but she has gotten longer and her weight is coming up pretty regular. She did get sick not long after we got her though, so it seems to be taking her longer to put on weight. She lost a few pounds when she was sick and didn't put it right back on.
    Lauren
  • sylvieTRDsylvieTRD
    Hanako is 6 month's old now and she weighs 11.5 kg ( 25.3 lb) and measures 42 cm ( 16.5") .
    She looks like small on my mind , do you think Hanako size is correct ?
    since I have come this far, might as well keep logging his weights: Matsu is now 37.6lbs. He is 7.5 ish months old.
  • mdokicmdokic
    Kona has hit 20.8 at about 7.5 months as well... i think maybe she's got a couple more pounds, but looks like she'll be around this size, my little petite kaigirl :)
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    ...dont forget "speedy" :) She'd outpace her brother in a flash...
  • mdokicmdokic
    Hahaha..she is a little zoomster!! i just found this awesome agility center about 2 mins from our house, signed her up for 10 classes, i think she'll really enjoy it! Hopefully III can keep up with her :P
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
    Oh, neat! I will look forward to Kona's Agility tales! and videos, if you get some.
  • mdokicmdokic
    I will definitely try and get some ^_^
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • cdenneycdenney
    @sylvieTRD Hanako is the right size. The bitches can run alittle smaller.
  • tmdtmd
    @WrylyBrindle I'm kinda wondering what the latest stats are of Matsu, the Kai Giant. Have you checked his height and weight lately?
    - Hanzo (Kai Ken), Pharaoh (JA/AA tweenie), Meg (Border Collie/Lab mix)
    He has been holding steady at 40 lbs for a while. He has started to look more leggy, he is 19.5- 20" at the shoulder this morning. Matsu (and littermates) will be 10 months old next week.

Here he is with the other Brindles: Sage is 65lbs, Matsu 40, Reilly 70, and Juno 28. Reilly is about the height of a greyhound.

photo 100_0285_zpsfcdd2c45.jpg

Ive been fussing over his coat since he's dumping undercoat like crazy in this weather, and feeling him I notice he's growing a nice mane- and his neck is very strong and hard muscle. His feet look less big, now, too. I think he'll end up between Leo and Goro.

photo handsomeMatsu_zps82244c4e.jpg
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    @WrylyBrindle LOL Yay for Matsu! He's already being called the "giant kai!" lol

That's a pretty manly mane he has there! Oh and I love the new signature banner!
  • mdokicmdokic
    Oh handsome handsome Matsu :) LOVE him!!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • tmdtmd
    @WrylyBrindle Thanks for the update. You have such a great looking boy kai to go with your great looking gal kai! I love that family picture. All the kai look so proportional it strains my spatial reasoning to understand their true size without meeting them in person. Having the heights and weights is nice because at least I can hold up a measuring tape to my dogs and get a sense.

@Hinata23 So now I'm wondering how Goro measures up?
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL omg...i just opened this post up with my browser instead of my phone. @WrylyBrindle, your new banner is AWESOME! :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    Aww! Big brother is so handsome! Shelby has been holding steady at about 35 pounds. She is pretty solid and still likes to be held. It's my daily arm workout to pick her up!
    Lauren
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I love the pic of the Brindles altogether! Beautiful!

Leo, of course, is not from the same crew, but I'm going to take him to the vet today for a rattlesnake vaccine, so I will report back on his weight! He's a bit over a year old so shouldn't grow much more.
    @tmd yeah, they are smaller than they look, so I think it really helps to show them with other dogs when possible, or some kind of reference. If you look at threads with pics from meetups or the NIPPO Classic you can get a good reference. I knew how big AA and shiba were, and I had met 1 shikoku before I got my kai- but I had to really learn to adjust my expectations for NK sizes otherwise. At the NIPPO show I met so many more kai, shikoku and JA (and Kishin the Kishu) and I have it down now.

Goro and Koda are the real Kai Giants at 50lbs! I dont think Matsu will get 10 more lbs, but I know he is on the cusp of the late-first-year growth spurt, so 45 is my wager.
  • mdokicmdokic
    OMG! LOL! @Myabee09, Kona has been holding steady at only 21.5-22 pounds...im officially convinced i got a micro-kai. hahaha :P I keep trying to feed her more occaisionally too because i keep feeling like "omg, am i starving her!? :( " and then she just POOPS more, and more OFTEN, or can't hold it down. -_- I wonder how big Sumiko is?? Because I think Saki is also larger than Kona, almost 30 pounds (if not 30)?
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    @tmd Goro is 52 lbs. I think Matsu is going to end up like him. Give and take a few pounds. ;)
  • tmdtmd
    @mdokic and I think Kona is the perfect example of the deceptively small kai. She's put together like a big dog and in some of the beach pictures she looks almost as large as a GSD, but then you see here in someone's arms or next to something recognizable and it looks like she shrunk :))
  • mdokicmdokic
    SO true hahaha! My cousin said the same thing when she saw Kona the other weekend. Kona walked in and she goes "wait WHAT?! Is this the same Kona I saw in your pictures?! Is this how big she's going to get?!" LOL. I love it though hahaha...she's small and compact (my townhome doesn't seem to small for her :) ) but she can keep up and do so many "big dog" things...and i love that Kais have all the proportions and features of a larger dog, but are smaller :P Well, except for the mosters Goro and Koda! xP
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    I'm beginning to think Shelby is a giantess Kai! She doesn't even look fully filled out yet... She is definitely not dainty like Mya is. That little Shiba only weighs 15 pounds on a good day.
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    I love it! :) It's so cool to see the variation in sizes even between the same gender from the same litter :D
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    I'll have to get hubby to take a picture of me holding Shelby and take another of me holding Mya. I'll post them as soon as we can get a good picture where the dogs look at the camera and I don't resemble a wildebeest.
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL at the wildebeest thing! :P And yay please do! <3<div class="UserSignature">Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • ttddinhttddinh
    @mdokic i love Kona and all of her smallness!
  • mdokicmdokic
    DAAWWEE!! :D Me too hehehe :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Leo weighs 43 pounds. My vet thinks he could lose 1 pound or so, so he should be around 42. I don't think he's going to grow anymore. :)
    I wanted to log in this thread that Matsu is 10 months old and his growth at this stage is in his legs. He looks less burly and more leggy. His rump is slightly higher than his shoulder right now and he looks kinda teenagery. His legs seem more racy, but his paws- the front ones esp- still look a little too big. Back before he began this growth spurt, his body seemed long, and now his legs are catching up. He is also really lean now. I had cut his food amount because he had an injury to his paw and wasn't allowed to hike or run around, and he had seemed to pause in growing for a while. So Ive re-upped him to his former cups because he is growing again and lost 2 lbs on the lower ration due to growing so much.

I should not be surprised - Cecilia (Goro's Mama) and Lisa (Leo's mom) told me there was a growth spurt at 10-11 months, and well, I'm SEEING it! Now that he is clear to work hard again, I'm hiking and packing with him and feeding him up and I expect he will finish gaining height and build mass through the fall and winter. I think when his coat is exchanged fully, and he grow his new winter coat he is going to look smashing.
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Can't wait Matsu all grown up! :x
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    Shelby hasn't hit another growth spurt yet. She looks pretty well balanced now. I'm wondering, do the females grow faster than the males?
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    That would be really interesting to find out!!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    I know! Shelbs has grown so much and her feet look proportional to her legs, which look proportional to her body. Besides, I don't know how much more she would grow, she's already a tank!
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    Same with Kona, her legs and body look proportional to her feet (and her feet actually look kinda small to me LOL)!
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • Myabee09Myabee09
    But she is so small! If she had big feet, they would look like dinner plates! Mya has tiny feet. I never realized how petite she was until I groomed another Shiba and it was almost twice her size!
    Lauren
  • mdokicmdokic
    LOL dinner plates!!! xP and totally, 35 pounds may seem "big" for female Kais, but she is CERTAINLY still very petite!! Holding/handling another dog puts it into perspective for sure :)
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • tmdtmd
    I wanted to add my data to this thread because I enjoyed it so much while waiting for Hanzo.

As of March 25, 2014 he is 6.5 months and weighs 27.2 lbs and is 17.5 inches tall.
    Two weeks ago at 6 mos. he weighed 25.2 lbs.
    When he came home with me at 10 weeks he was 10 lbs of awesome.

I know that the vet has regular weight updates, but I don't have all of those at the moment. Maybe I'll try to have them print them out for me next time I go so that I can fill in all the blanks.
  • omgtainomgtain
    Oh! Tavi is Hanzo's sister.
    She was 22.8lb last Wednesday and is 16.5 inches tall. I got her at 8.5 weeks old and she was 6lb. :)

Tain, Nare the GSD/Husky, and Tavi the Kaigirl!
  • I was wondering if there was a guide on what the Kai's height and weight should be?

How tall (at the withers) is your Kai? (general question to everyone)
  • cdenneycdenney
    At 5 foot 7 mine comes to my knee (head just above shoulder right below), she is female breed average, I can take measurements later. Kais are much smaller than everyone thinks. Bigger than a standard shiba (though mine.is a dinosaur and as tall but not as long as my kai) and proportioned like a big dog but smaller than your average medium dog.
  • Mika was 4.75 lbs when we got her at eight weeks, and at her 11 week check up last week she was 6 lbs. Everyone she meets still thinks she's a cat [especially children] and I look forward to seeing what she will look like all grown up! She is getting more gold in her fur by the day so we are very interested in how her brindle will turn out :]

Keanu- Shepherd/Golden Mix & Mika- Kai Ken
    Living in Vancouver, WA.
  • DarceanDarcean
    Tsuki was 8.4lbs at her checkup around 9 weeks. At her 11 week checkup for shots, she was 11.8lbs. I swear, she's just might have a little more of Akashi than anyone thought XD

• Juno (f/spayed) is now 7 years old and still 27 lbs.
    Matsu (m/intact) is 5 years old, still 19.5- 20" and 44lbs

Tamaki (f/intact) is 4.5 months old and 18 lbs

Its interesting to reread this since Matsu's birthday is only a week (and 5 years) before Tama's. I can kinda compare them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion