Off-Lead Kai Ken

edited February 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Since it's been a reoccurring topic on the forum, and because I rarely take video of my walks with our Kai Ken for some reason, I made sure I grabbed the GoPro for one of my walks this morning to show how reliable our Kai Ken are off-lead.

This morning's walk was with Nio and Ayu off-lead, and with Jingu on-lead (still working on his recall).

For those who do not know, Jingu is a Jindo that we picked up from Ann ( @ayk ) in the fall (I think it was fall?.. With our move I am really messed up on my timelines).

So, here is me hiking Nio and Ayu off-lead, and Jingu on-lead. We are following a known trail...

Here is me hiking Nio and Ayu off-lead, and Jingu on-lead. We are hiking off-trail (bushwhacking). Also this video shows me leashing them at the end. Note - no treats, just positive praise.

This video is of us hiking out to the spot where we turned around (so this video is taken before the top two videos). This video's audio got messed up for some reason... So there is no sound. Note, I drop Jingu's leash in this video too - no panic, just acted calm and pick it back up.

**Excuse the random shots of the ground, I was looking at tracks.

----

ETA - My comment WRT not using treats was not to imply I am anti-treat, that's not the case at all. I almost always have treats on me. I made the comment simply to point out that it didn't take anything special to get them to come when I called them - just positive praise.

However, I should note, as puppies I trained their recall using treats. Over time I started variable reward (giving them treats randomly when they performed a recall). Also, you'll notice in the video I praise them for even just looking my general direction, or stopping when running away from me. I do this to help reinforce the "check in".

----

Comments

• Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Nice! That looks like a nice hiking area. I sure do miss those Arizona forests.
  • Jingu was picked up on Dec. 10. :-)
  • Oooh, I want to hike there. Such scenery (woops, accidentally typed scenergy for a sec, interesting slip) reminds me that good off-leash dogs are not to be taken for granted!
  • haha... ok, i got Jingu this winter.
  • It's good to see ! I will show your video for people who ask me if Kaï can be off-lead ! ^^

It's a hiking area were I would like to go if I were on the same continent ! :D
  • Why should I note no treats?
  • Why should I note no treats?
    Not that you shouldn't use treats or there is anything wrong with using treats - just pointing out that it doesn't take anything more than a good relationship to get our Kai to come when called. You already know that tho, @WrylyBrindle. That is all.

----
  • awesome video
  • Eevee got loose from her collar yesterday. I began to chase her but ended up running home instead to put on my sneakers. When I got there, Eevee was sitting at our door. That's one benefit of her separation anxiety.
  • Good to see video evidence of kai being walked. I was beginning to think you only walked laiki, :oP

They act like mine do when they're off-leash. And yeah, I don't need treats either. I use them here and there, so as not to take good behaviour for granted. It's their bond with me that keeps them close, though. No treat can do that.
  • That's great stuff, I wish kishin was better off leash.
  • edited February 2013
    Me too @shishiinu!!!

ETA - I trained him the same way I have Nio and Ayu, and my Laiki. For sure my Laika ranger further than my Kai, but they don't just run off like Kishin does. lol
  • Here is a good comparison, hiking my three Laika off-lead...

• PS: I edited my first post to clarify my comment WRT using treats ( @WrylyBrindle ).
  • I love that hiking spot Saya would love it too.

My field is only flat area the woods are very hilly. Saya climbs up and down the hills like she is a pro I gotta go down in easier area.. haha

Thanks for posting this nice to see how they do.
  • Love the videos from the GoPro. Neat to see the differences in the ranging between the Kai and Laika. :-)
  • Really cool to see these videos. It's especially reassuring considering it's Ayu and Nio, my little guy's mom and pop!

Orry's doing great off-leash, and hiking with him is lots of fun. I will continue to be cautious, but as it looks now, there's no reason why he shouldn't grow up to be dependable off-leash...like Ayu and Nio.
  • Here's one with Haru, Taskin, and Jingu. I took this one to show that Haru's rang and attitude is much different from Nio and Ayu, but she still has acceptable recall. Also, keep in mind, Haru came to us at close to two years old... So we are not her first owners.

Haru is all business on hikes - no running to me for affection like Ayu or Nio, but she still comes when called perfectly. She's a hunter for sure...

----
  • I hope Orry does well too.

Matsu been walking well off leash with pictures I seen.

Today I took her to potty and she then checked the mouse nest she found few days ago, but coarse no mouse.

I went into the woods to pull out some cut trees and branches that the power company cut and dragged into the woods.. I mean they dragged them atleast 6 or 10 feet into the woods where they cut the stuff. Grrr.. I wish they listen and keep it where it falls or move to the trail area..

Saya went in the woods to explore and she had fun sniffing around and digging and stuff.

Saya went under the metal pipe that the overflow from pond goes through. Saya sniffed under it and got very dirty, her whole face was full of dirt she looked like a red headed B&T shiba.. haha
    Here's picture of the pipe she was checking under it. This was past picture today it wasn't 100% frozen the water bellow is not deep and is not frozen just the flowing part of the pipe.
    photo DSC_0193_zps49fdcb05.jpg

No camera besides my phone which is cheapo phone..

I got about half of the branches out so I decided head home so I called Saya to come. She was close to the hill by the camp site.

She headed to me got couple bits of kibble then I told her lets go and pointed to the yard so she headed up then she went to mouse nest to check it again. She is intent on finding a mouse. haha

We headed home and she got a raw egg and fish oil for breakfast as a yummy reward for being good..

Saya at 32weeks old. Taken 12/19/2009 Having fun in the field with Bella. Saya isn't a kai ken though. she has taught me a lot though.

I use combo of yummy treats, squirrel pelt, and praise to work with her. She responds with her name, come, and Good girl. Her ears perks up when I say good girl. :)

No recent off leash hike videos just pictures once I get new camera I'll be able to take those videos of her exploring.
    photo DSC_0217_zps56d45238.jpg

Saya kinda stayed behind to sniff so I kept going and she decided to cut through the high grass to catch up silly shiba. haha
    photo DSC_0227_zps03e80228.jpg

Saya is pretty vocal pup she loves to growl, growl bark, yodel and bark..

photo DSC_0334_zps3353895a.jpg

Here's pic of her yodeling and shows her with her bandanas, and bells. Really helps me see her in the woods and hear where she is. She camouflages pretty well. She also has a boomerang id tag I really love it. I recently got her a light attachment to her collar which is nice for night walks. I only have her on long 50 foot leash or 12foot leash when out at night or 6foot since coyotes are most active at night..

She sticks with me at night though, but still I rather not do off leash at night as she'll chase after raccoon if she sees one. She has treed them before.

Coyotes and skunks or the two animals she sticks away from she has heard and once seen a coyote also seen a skunk at a distance off leash during the day it was in the field by the pond.

She gave clear warning barks and stayed where she was and didn't stop till I saw the skunk and told her good job Saya. She just stood there keeping eye on it till it went into the high grass.

Saya climb up hills like they're nothing. This leads up to my second field.
    photo DSC_0185_zps2fecb5a8.jpg
    She coming down after I called her.
    photo DSC_0187_zpsde27910b.jpg

Saya is a shiba, but I wonder if fact I'm in country and can practice off leash is reason she does well or maybe she has the right personality or temperament for it?

My yard is 16acres some of it is my front and backyard most of it is my field(field one, and field two), and then some is woods and one ravine area..

I do hikes in woods area Saya loves walking in the woods. I do it on leash and off leash. Even when my neighbor's rude lab/mastiff mix is loose in their yard barking her head at me and my dogs since we get to have fun and actually exercise poor dog doesn't ever get walks.

Saya ignores her and follows me she knows we are having much more fun and heading to the ravine area to explore. She loves going there and stuff a lot of rabbit smells.

She has chased rabbit once into the woods. I allowed her to and I casually followed her where she ran after it sadly it dashed into it's hole so she lost it. She was on fallen tree looking around.

I called her and said lets go she looked back a few times headed there to look some more and finally she followed me and headed back to the field to continue the hike.

She listens pretty well for her breed. I do off leash hikes during times deer aren't in the area. If they are I put her on leash and work on her focus on me and recall during as they run off.

I hope to work with her so she knows deer is one of the things she can't chase.. Rabbits, squirrels are OK, but deer, coyotes, badgers, skunks, and cats are things I work on for her to not chase..

Luckily I don't see mr badger anymore so I think it moved onto somewhere else.

I always treat her with either kibble or stuff like fish fudge, string cheese or cooked meat. Though sometimes I praise her or play with her or send her back off to explore.

Today I have bacon and tiny bit of cooked egg as a special recall treat.

She gets a lot off outside time with me I always have something to do in the yard either turning compost, adding compost to it, clearing the woods of fallen or cut branches, and so on. She is good about not leaving the yard and staying out of the road unlike my neighbor's lab/mastiff who walks in the road all the time and chase cars. :(

I'm lucky to live in such an area right now I think it has helped her with her recall.

Saya is my fist shiba inu so in past I've only had experience with two boxers and a catahoula mix I say Dink the catahoula mix had a lot of stubbornness in her much more then Saya.. haha

Pearly my first boxer got skunked one night. luckily Saya has good common sense and stays away from skunks. Even when a skunk has sprayed somewhere far away she wants to stick close and not venture anywhere near where the smell is strongest.

Not all shiba are like that though, but I keep working with her as she does well with it.

I only do it in my yard, field and woods not many spots to do off leash hiking in my area so my field and woods is only place.
  • Taskin is getting HUGE!
  • edited February 2013
    Our camera isn't very good but here is some off lead practice with Akuma from today in the woods. He has been doing well as we practice with him, he stays close, except an instance of a good smelling deer. He doesn't like to be left behind/separated for long and he's formed a very loving bond with us. He loves tracking.

• AWESOME @rafatturi!

This is a great example of a rehomed Kai who has bonded with his new owners and is trustworthy off-lead. That's super awesome!
  • @brada1878 you also have multiple shikoku, correct? What is your off leash experience, if any, with them?
  • edited February 2013
    @twobirds - Yes, we have two females. Loa is ok, Ahi is not so good. Our male, Kaiju (when we had him), was very good tho.
  • AAAHH the first video @ 2:50 ish (after Nio "checks in") scares the living daylights out of me. Ciqala does the same thing and then bolts. I guess it requires a bit of mutual trust and a giant forest to run around in.

@brada1878 I have a Nio-mini, but still want Nio! I'll settle for a clone though. Are you into cloning yet or still just breeding like the old-timers? :P
  • I was telling Tashi we need to get into cloning the other day...
  • Glad to hear he has bonded so well. He was always good with recall here :)
  • Yeah he is a beast if he was another twenty pounds he would be really intimidating but he's just a little guy but he is my little guy. It does make it easy to carry him around if I need to.