Attack at the park

We (just Kilbun and I) were walking/training at a park when a stray came and there was a standoff between the stray and Kilbun, and the stray attacked Kilbun. He was in really bad shape. One of his hind legs was badly wounded (it ripped open) while the other one had puncture wounds. I was really scared, thank God there was other people around that pulled the other dog off/got him off Kilbun. There was just so much blood everywhere, I was a wreck. I raced to the vet, they got him into surgery and now he is home and stable. The only good thing (I guess for me), because I spent so much, the vet threw in the neuter for free, since his neuter appt was going to be in a few weeks anyhow.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Oh this really sucks. :(

I'm glad Kilbun is safe and alive. I hope he recovers quickly.
  • Wow, poor guy. Hope he recovers quickly.
  • I'm sorry! Glad to hear Kilbun is safe & well now :( ~
  • Oh man, that is horrible. Give him some love for us, poor pup. :(
  • Oh no!!! I am so sorry. That's so horrible and he's just a puppy. This is horrible. Give him some kisses from me too. This is seriously one of my biggest fears.

I said horrible twice that's how horrible it is.
  • oh god that is every dog owner's worse fear. I am glad he is okay but did you call animal control?
  • Oh no! I am glad Kilbun is home and going to be alright. That's awful!!! Do you know if the other dog was picked up by animal control?
  • Ugh, poor Kilbun and poor you, I understand what it means to be a wreck after such an event. Here's to a speedy recovery for the both of you and no long term ill effects :(
  • Yikes!! Hope he has a smooth recovery... gotta admire that you managed to find the silver lining in the whole situation though. Keep us updated.
  • Wow, sounds like a very scary ordeal. Hope you and Kilbun are OK. Keep us updated.
  • That's so awful. Poor Kilbun. Hope he's still groggy from the surgery and loaded up with painkillers.
  • Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this! Super scary, but I'm glad Kilbun is going to make it. keep us posted on his progress....This is just a nightmare!
  • :( Yikes! Poor you guys...I hope yu are both recovering all right- physically as well as emotionally.
  • edited February 2013
    Holy cow... Hope he recovers quickly! This has to be my biggest fear! I'm sorry it happened to you!

I don't even know what do do in these situation... In the past when I was alone in the park early in the morning (I know... Stupid, right?) and I saw a stray dog wonder in I'd walk to another exit and leave as quickly as possible.

Is it wise to carry around a can of pepper spray? Or does that violet some sort of animal's right thing?
  • Wow, I am so sorry. I hope he recovers quickly!
  • That's really sad to hear. We had a stray go to Eevee and began growling and about bite her. Eevee stood her ground and I kicked the dog to get her off Eevee. The owner told me she has been looking for her for the past few hours and they just adopted the American bulldog.
  • Oh my goodness... :( That is absolutely horrible.

I am glad that Kilbun is recovering and that you are both going to be okay.
  • @cdenney--I was so scared because Kilbun was bleeding a lot so I just booked outta there and didn't care about the other dog. It was not our neighborhood, we just drove there because I was trying to train him.

On another note, Kilbun is whining A LOT. He is on antibiotics and pain meds but everytime I move away from him, he whimpers. I know he is just whining though because when I took the other two for a walk this morning, he hobbled over to the door and started screaming (he wanted to go). Kaiju is really sweet. He bugged me so much last night because I kept them apart (he hadn't seen kilbun all day yesterday), this morning, I had Kaiju on a leash and let him come close to Kilbun and they just started licking one another. Super cute. I need to get a video of it. THEN, Kaiju tried to mount and hump Kilbun so I separated them again.
  • lol oh kaiju @tddinh i understand about not calling, your dog's health comes first. On a different note Kilbun must have thought that was a hell of a dog attack that his family jewels got lost in the process.
  • Ah! I'm so sorry this had to happen to such a young pup (not that it's better to happen to ANY dog). London was attacked by a few off lead dogs and it really unsettled him for the better part of his young life. :(

I wish Kilbun a swift recovery and I hope he (and you!) don't have to experience something like this again.
  • Holy cow... Hope he recovers quickly! This has to be my biggest fear! I'm sorry it happened to you!

I don't even know what do do in these situation... In the past when I was alone in the park early in the morning (I know... Stupid, right?) and I saw a stray dog wonder in I'd walk to another exit and leave as quickly as possible.

Is it wise to carry around a can of pepper spray? Or does that violet some sort of animal's right thing?
    I do when I walk in my neighborhood, because there have been too many loose dogs, and I'm often walking Toby, my most reactive Shiba, who has been seriously injured by other dogs before. I simply will not let Toby be hurt again, so I don't care whose dog it is: if it goes for my dog, I'm spraying it.
  • edited February 2013
    @cdenney--I neutered Kilbun because he was scheduled to get neutered in a few weeks anyhow. That way, he is recovering from everything all at once instead of recovering then having to go under again. Everyone at the vet office LOVES Kilbun so he got lots of love. He has two giant drains in one leg (the one with the skin ripped off).

• OMG, so sorry to hear of this. My worst nightmare! It is very rarely I have come across loose dogs while walking in our neighborhood, so far the few have just been fairly good mannered escapees looking to play. I have no idea what I would do if it got aggressive with a dog I didn't know that was loose without an owner. So glad that you have a good vet and you were able to get him there and he is on the road to recovery.
  • @ttddinh lol i figured but he must be questioning if he blacked out to go from a fight to no nuts.
  • Oh, he didn't black out, though my eardrums wished he did!
  • edited February 2013
    they put drains in one leg. There were puncture wounds on the other hind leg and front l leg but it was not that bad.

photo 428C0C2D-6748-49F4-9944-5AC7543AB8E4-1818-00000369F9FD4C79_zps7a22be9f.jpg

happy as a clam to be in the backyard

photo 0427E872-DF70-46B0-BEC3-5F8F880DB1A0-1818-00000369D2A6A286_zpsf59d0299.jpg

scared at the vet...right after they gave him a sedative to get him into surgery...starting to get drowsy

photo 97BF3189-0832-4A9B-BB68-43716723AEC4-1818-00000369DB7B6FFB_zps230b7117.jpg
  • Poor little guys... Glad to see that he's feeling better! :)
  • wow... that's hectic.
  • Poor little guy! So sorry you and Kilbun had to experience this.
  • poor kilbun, i hope he has a speedy recovery.
    what kind of dog was the stray?