Used Dog Behavior Books FS: Chrystal De-Geeks

**Is it appropriate for me to offer my collection of book FS to the Forum members? If not, please delete my thread, but please don't banish me!**

Ok- Im De-Geeking on dog books, because I was a bit *cough* obsessive about reading everything under the sun and since I have moved to a more "be here now" stage of things and I havent read any of these in years now, it's time to divest in the comprehensive dog book library and instead fund some activities like lure coursing and barn hunt with my brindles.

Ive sorted and written them all down- some may be helpful to people here, and nothing is more than 50% of what I paid for it, in many cases less than that.

Everything is in "Hey! get away from my precious dog books!!" shape, from a few free booklets to $5/10/15 up to $20 each for the big Brenda Aloff photo guides. Just message me if you are interested in any and we'll make arrangements.

---
Fearful/Reactive Dog books:

Feisty Fido- help for the leash aggressive dog- Patricia McConnell/Karen B London $5
Focus, Not Fear - Ali Brown $5 (this is kindof a training class journal- more useful to trainers than to owners- I coudlnt finish it)
Aggression in Dogs- Brenda Aloff $20- this is a big, comprehensive book! Brenda keeps a horde of fox terriers and I think a terv- she has no sympathy for crybabies, but she knows her shit. I just cant keep up with her!

Scaredy Dog!- by Ali Brown
Dogs: Fearfulness- Ian Dunbar
The Cautious Canine - Patricia McC again
When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs- Jane Killion
Click to Calm: Healing the aggressive dog- Emma Parsons $10 (Sage and I took a class with Emma- it was good but we're done with that now, if you swear by the clicker, this is the reactive dog book for you!)

General Dog Behavior books:
------------------------
For The Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell $10 (hardover)- all about the brain and emotion in dogs- 'given a scalpel, they will dissect a kiss' applies here. If you "fu(king love science" like you claim- here's feelings in a BOOK for ya! She's not wrong, but I just can't get into the amygdala on that level.
How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend- the Monks of New Skete (hardcover ($5) pretty outdated with the alpha rolls, but maybe someone has always wanted to read it.
Get Connected with your Dog - Brenda Aloff $20- I am not adherent and clockworky enough to keep up with Brenda Aloff's regimens and protocols- but maybe you are! She'd fail me out of class so fast my head would spin. But again- she speaks the truth- get your clicker out and put your nose to the grindstone- this one comes with a DVD, too.
Off Leash Dog Play- Robin Bennet and Susan Briggs $5 -written for those who work at dog daycare type things. clear and simple.

The Culture CLash- Jean Donaldson
Excel-erated Learning: Explaining how dogs learn and how best to teach them - Pamela Reid
Getting in T Touch with your dog- Linda Tellington-Jones
Positive Perspectives 2 - Pat Miller
The Well-Adjusted Dog- Nicholas Dodman
Canine Body Language- a Photographic guide - Brenda Aloff

MultiDog Home Management Books
-------------------------------
Who Moved my Bone? Theresa Mancuso $5- this book is most interesting because it is written by a former nun of NewSkete who left the order, she keeps GSDs and wrote a pretty good management book for pet owners with multi dogs, or those considering a multi dog life. She loves having more than one dog!
Feeling outnumbered? - Patrica McConnell and Karen London $5 Nuts n bolts for multi dog homes. It has an akita on the cover...just sayin. :)

stories type books:
----------------
Howl- a collection of the best contemporary dog wit from Bark Magazine (hardcover) $10- funny short stories from Bark Magazine.
Merles Door- Ted Kerasote hardcover $10- this is a good read- I just dont need to hold on to it on my shelves when someone else could enjoy it.
From Baghdad with Love - Lt Col, Jay Kopelman $5- soldier adopts dog in Iraq and moves mountains to try to bring him back to US-
Paws and Effect: The healing Power of Dogs by Sharon Sakson $5 light reading
Dog is My Copilot- bark magazine anthology $5 good short stories!
Jon Katz: A Good Dog $5- about Orson, a troubled border collie. (again with the border collies)
Jon Katz: The new work of Dogs $5- anecdotes about the roles dogs play in our emotional lives today vs the physical work they used to do

Feeding
-----------
Give your dog a bone- Dr Ian billinghurst
Raw Dog Food- Corinna Beth MacDonald

To Your Dog's Health- Mark Poveromo $5- this book covers all kinds of feeding- the author prefers raw, but goes over the best points of other feeding, kibbles, cancer diets, etc...

Comments

• Sent you a facebook message.
  • I'm interested in Click to Calm and possibly a couple others. I'll send you a message later tonight when I get home.
  • @wrylybrindle Wow! Someone worse than me!! I have been reading like mad recently too and I don't even have my dog yet. I was wondering what you thought of the book "When pigs fly", is there anything new in there?
  • @Nekopan- I still have CLick to Calm!

@Jeffnkazuko- and that doesnt count the ones I am not ready to part with...

When Pigs Fly is very good, well written and all about a positive working relationship with interesting personalityed dogs. Jane runs her bull terriers in agility, but this isnt an agility book specifically, and she has a sense of humor. A lot of impulse control stuff, attention stuff. Lots of training tips and exercises, thoughtful perspectives and she closes the whole book out by saying essentially not to get frustrated with these dogs, that we love and chose them because they are this way. Ive sold my copy, but if you see it somewhere, pick it up. Its a refreshing dog book in field largely populated by trainers with idealist breeds- I felt that this trainer understood where I live more clearly than those with laser-focused border collies and golden retrievers and aussies.
  • edited February 2013
    Still have some pretty meaty books here, message me if interested! :)

Fearful/Reactive Dog books:

Aggression in Dogs- Brenda Aloff $20- this is a big, comprehensive book! Brenda keeps a horde of fox terriers and I think a terv- she has no sympathy for crybabies, but she knows her stuff.

Feisty Fido- help for the leash aggressive dog- Patricia McConnell/Karen B London $5
    Focus, Not Fear - Ali Brown $5 (this is kindof a training class journal- more useful to trainers than to owners)

General Dog Behavior books:
    ------------------------
    For The Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell $10 (hardover)- all about the brain and emotion in dogs
    How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend- the Monks of New Skete (hardcover ($5) pretty outdated with the alpha rolls, but maybe someone has always wanted to read it.
    Get Connected with your Dog - Brenda Aloff $20- I am not adherent and clockworky enough to keep up with Brenda Aloff's regimens and protocols- but maybe you are! - this one comes with a DVD, too.
    Off Leash Dog Play- Robin Bennet and Susan Briggs $5 -written for those who work at dog daycare type things. clear and simple.

MultiDog Home Management Books
    -------------------------------
    Who Moved my Bone? Theresa Mancuso $5- this book is most interesting because it is written by a former nun of NewSkete who left the order, she keeps GSDs and wrote a pretty good management book for pet owners with multi dogs, or those considering a multi dog life. She loves having more than one dog!
    Feeling outnumbered? - Patrica McConnell and Karen London $5 Nuts n bolts for multi dog homes. It has an akita on the cover...just sayin. :)

stories type books:
    ----------------
    Howl- a collection of the best contemporary dog wit from Bark Magazine (hardcover) $10- funny short stories from Bark Magazine.
    Merles Door- Ted Kerasote hardcover $10- this is a good read- I just dont need to hold on to it on my shelves when someone else could enjoy it.
    From Baghdad with Love - Lt Col, Jay Kopelman $5- soldier adopts dog in Iraq and moves mountains to try to bring him back to US-
    Paws and Effect: The healing Power of Dogs by Sharon Sakson $5 light reading
    Dog is My Copilot- bark magazine anthology $5 good short stories!
    Jon Katz: A Good Dog $5- about Orson, a troubled border collie. (again with the border collies)
    Jon Katz: The new work of Dogs $5- anecdotes about the roles dogs play in our emotional lives today vs the physical work they used to do