Lost Shikoku in Illinois

There should be a Lost and Found category here :(

I saw this ad on FB. Is this a forum pup? :

Lost! #SouthElgin #IL (Hancock & Rt 31) Raiden - Neutered Male Looks Like A Coyote. Call 847-767-1230 (main) and 847-767-1223 Email: Tkbryja@Hotmail.Com If Seen Or Found. Friendly. 2 Yo, 35 Lbs. Sesame: black, tan, cream. Cream chest and darker, more distinct markings than a coyote. Wearing a black leather collar. Will run if followed or chased, which could send him directly into traffic. Microchipped, . Kane County, 60177. Missing 01-28-2013. Please Share. js

Comments

• edited February 2013
    OH man! Poor Little dude! Hope they can catch him!
  • He looks familiar and the name sounds familiar as well
  • Shared on FB. Makes me sad, his face reminds me of Fate's :( ~
  • that was my first thought too! He looks like Fate... :(
  • @WrylyBrindle - So it's not just me huh?

I wonder if they're related! :( ~
  • I hope this boy is found! :(

I think the name sounds familiar because there is a Raiden on the forum, but Raiden is a Shiba.
  • Maybe that was it. I knew the name sounded familiar.
  • edited February 2013
    There's not that many shikoku- I cant imagine there's many that *someone* on the forum isnt aware of.

No, Osy, its not just you. He sure does look like him. Poor Raiden. Im glad to see the word getting out relatively quickly on this though...
  • I think I'm done with NK. This running away shit is getting to me.
  • edited February 2013
    I think I'm done with NK. This running away shit is getting to me.
    Noooooo! Not you Brad! We need your Kai army!

• edited February 2013
    @Brada1878 I think all dogs are prone to runaway or explore and get lost... Knowing that our dogs have high prey drive and will chase anything means that we can't let our guard down. I sit outside when ChoCho and Goro are playing in my family's backyard. I never leave them out alone so they can be tempted to dig under or climb a fence to chase a cat. I guess since this is such a close community we hear more about lost NK.

Don't give up on the NK! THEY NEED YOU!
  • I'm in agreement with Hinata23. These things are not unique to NK. What you're seeing and experiencing now is what people were seeing and experiencing with the Jindo 20 years ago.

"One owner dog", "Escape artists", "Wild", "Primitive", etc.

Things will improve as the fancy/community gains more knowledge on how not to underestimate their dog's escaping abilities.

• It makes it harder to be a breeder, having to worry about this. I 100% understand why breeders may make blanket statements like "these breeds are not good off leash dogs".
  • Except I dont think any of the lost nk were being exercised off leash when they ran.
  • edited February 2013
    Gps tracker at all times unless locked in a room at night even with those gotten as pups to at least have a sense of security
  • A lost and found catagory is a good idea.

I hope Raiden gets found soon.
  • I hope that they find him soon! Poor owners must be worried sick.

I also don't think it is a NK issue, but rather a spitz issue. I had owned Siberian Huskies exclusively prior to Shikoku and I have to say, all the Siberians I had owned were MUCH worse about escaping the yard and then MUCH worse about listening to coming back. Both my dogs have escaped our yard, but in general, they are much easier to catch once out than Siberians.

That being said, some of Brad's dogs have more of a Siberian attitude when out loose (ie, catch me if you can) and I can certainly understand his frustration as I had that with one Siberian who was truly an escape artist and could disappear like a ghost immediately upon getting out. He was super smart and savvy about hiding and or not letting me find him. If I did, he just ignored by come call. Surprisingly, despite all of his escapes, I always did find him and he lived to 14.5 years old! But it can be VERY frustrating!
  • Let me know when you want to auction off some of your dogs, Brad. There are a few that comes to mind.. ::cough cough:: Ahi ::cough cough::

My coworker lives in the sticks and keeps all his dogs outdoors. They do not have a fenced in yard too. They believe all dogs will come back to them. He used to have a Sibe but he ran a few miles out and got hit by a car. It was stupid on the owner's part. Recently, his Golden Retriever passed because he was hiding under someone's car and they backed up not knowing the dog was underneath.

Is it really a dog problem or more of a trainer problem? I know it's a bit rude to blame the owner but does the problem rest with the human? My Akita had a really good recall where I would be able to call her off when chasing a rabbit. I am working on Eevee's recall and I it's greatly improved since we got her. Take a look at @Losech's Conker. He's good off-leash.

Kris has been training Kuma in obedience and am pretty sure he would not run away. If he does, a "down" command from distance will keep him still enough to catch him.
  • @Zinja - It's a dog thing. I have 4 dogs. 2 dutchies, 1 shikoku, 1 kishu. My best off-leash dog is Fate [ shikoku ] not because I trained him that way, he has ALWAYS been like that. Probably because he has no prey drive.

Dragoon, the kishu, however, has crazy ass prey drive, and zero desire to stay around with you. She started off wit great recall, I thought she would be like Fate. As she aged, it got worse & worse. If she can go chase a bird, [ or a leaf blowing in the wind ] she'd rather do that. If I really wanted to, I could probably stick an electric collar on her & train her to have OK off-leash reliability. But why bother?

The problem isn't that they don't come back when off leash, the problem is they go feral once they do get off, IMHO. ~
  • @Zinja - I agree with @Sangmort, that it is an individual dog "thing" and it varies by dog vs breed. Although of course, some dogs are more prone to try to escape.

Of my dogs, Kuma is the least reliable if he gets out of my fence. It is kind of strange, because I can work him outside the fence in "obedience" patterns and his PERFECT. But if he gets out on his own, his recall isn't all that great (nor his downing on command). He tunes me out like the Siberians did because he prefers ground hog hunting (we live on a farm). Our best bet when he does get out (which is infrequent) is to drive up to him with our truck and open the extended cab. He prefers car rides to hunting. If I take him to an open park, his recall is also excellent and he is very good off lead. So in his mind, he wants to listen, but if the exciting thing is more interesting (ie, ground hogs) he will tune me out.

My female who escapes more frequently (she's a digger) has perfect recall even though she loves hunting too. She always comes when called.

I hope that they find this lovely shikoku!!
  • And I agree with Osy (@Sangmort) that with some NK, it is the reversion to being feral that is an issue with them when they get out. It seems like the Kai are really prone to that reversion.
  • And I agree with Osy (@Sangmort) that with some NK, it is the reversion to being feral that is an issue with them when they get out. It seems like the Kai are really prone to that reversion.
    That's what I think too. Any dog can escape and not come back, but it's the getting scared and fleeing and not able to come back from that that is really the problem.

And Zinja, your co-worker doesn't deserve to have dogs if s/he can't keep them safe, and letting them roam (and get killed) is not keeping them safe. People like that make me crazy.
  • I too agree with Osy... And I think it's more a NK issue than it isn't. Meaning, this issue may exist in the Jindo too, but it seems to exist in most of the NK breeds.

Example, I've lost my Laiki several miles into the bush on the side of a mountain in bad weather at high altitude. Hiking in an area we had to drive to... I searched for hours and eventually had to give up my search as weather was getting bad, it was getting late, and I needed to drop down in altitude some 3000+ feet to find my car. Their Tagg collars were absolutely no use due to the lack of cell coverage.

Anyway, I left them up there. There was just no way I could find them in the wood in bad winter weather. So I dove home - about a 20 minute drive...

Got home and two hours later, there were Ike and Anya at the back of the fence...

Why can't these lost NK do that???
  • They don't want to
  • Just out of curiosity, have the Laika gotten more opportunity to go hiking and get worked off-lead than the NK? They get to know the routine more?

For Jindos, the average is 3 days before they return on their own.

• Because I have a relatively new NK pup, this "running away" topic is very interesting to me. Before I brought him home, I read of a small number of NK (mostly Kai) that ran and were never found. I followed their threads, but in looking back, I never actually read of the circumstances under which they fled. Just curious if anyone commenting here knows and can summarize such circumstances. Something really brief is all, such as in the following example:

Kai A (male/female, age when fled)
    -Escaped from a fenced yard.

Kai B (male/female, age when fled)
    -Ran while off leash walking/hiking

Kai C (male/female, age when fled)
    -Got out the front door.

I guess I'm wondering if there are any common circumstances. I'd really like to be aware so I can hedge certain activities/situations! Maybe there's a thread where this is already discussed, or perhaps I should've started a new one, but I just thought it would be helpful.
  • Got home and two hours later, there were Ike and Anya at the back of the fence...

Why can't these lost NK do that???
    Mei can do this!!! I lost her about 8 miles from my parent's house once at a park. She ran off to hunt, and I couldn't find her. I searched for hours, got back to my parent's, and she came home an hour later.

To boot Mei is a Kai mix with probably Shiba, I don't know for sure.

I was not really told about the no off leash thing with Koda. This forum only had one Kai owner on it I think when I got him and that was Kona. No one ever talked about it, so I just walked with him off leash like I would any dog. You have to know how I was raised.

I don't worry about Koda. If he runs off, he will come back. I just keep going. I lost him for like 10 minutes yesterday on Mt. Diablo. Mika and I just kept hiking with her on the long lead. Koda came back. I wasn't worried at all. He just decided to go out on his own.

With Mika things have changed. I have such trauma issues with Kais running off that I don't give her the chance. I took her down to Pt Isabel last weekend, and believe it or not she actually did really well. She even had pretty good recall for her first time ever. I trusted the area only because the only place she could go was in the ocean, and I knew she wouldn't do that.

I'm with @wrylybrindle none of these dogs were off leash when lost. I'd probably assume that they had inexperienced handlers before I blamed walking them off leash.
  • @MontanaKai I don't know what Kais you are talking about.
  • @tjbart17 Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like there's been several lost. I guess the few Kai that I was thinking about were Shakko, Mochi, and a third that I'm having trouble remembering the name (could be confusing this last one with another NK). Maybe there aren't anymore Kai than that on this forum that have actually fled, which would be a good thing!