What would be the best 3rd dog?

edited February 2013 in Other Breeds
Now, it will be at least 2 years (or more) before we add a third dog to our family, but it's never to early to start planning. I'm trying to figure out what breed would be best to add to our home. Our current animals (excluding reptiles and rodents) are a Shiba, a Shikoku/Laika and a cat.
Since both of our dogs are female, we know our third will definitely be a male, and I don't think we want another NK. I'm thinking along the lines of a Belgian Malinois but my boyfriend wants a Tamaskan (or similar type dog). I've read that Tamaskan's have very sweet temperaments, so that may also be a possibility.

Does anyone have experience with either of these breeds and NK together, or have any other breed suggestions?

Comments

• A Kai!

Well, it depends on what you want the dog to do, and what you want the dog to be like, but the Kai Ken are wonderful! Sweet, and smart and active (but not crazy active like a Malinois). They get along with other dogs well, even quarrelsome Shibas!

We added a Kai to our household of two Shibas, and an American Akita, and he has fit in beautifully. He is such a little peacemaker, than even when the Shiba or Akita start acting up, he is able to calm everyone down.

And....he's whip smart, agile, and just a wonderfully fun dog to be with. Wants to hang out with us, but is not (thankfully) a velcro dog. I'm having a fabulous time with him in agility classes, too. He's the best!

• I would love a Kai, almost went for one as my second dog before I decided on a Shikoku instead.

However, I think we want a bigger, guard-dog-like dog. If not one with an actual guard dog mentality, at least one with looks that would make somebody think twice. I think in around 5 years or so we may decide to start a family and I would feel better with a little more than my adorable fluffs that are way too cute to be even slightly threatening.
  • Leonberger!
  • So fluffy! Didn't know what it was so goggled it, first images that came up are adorable. About to read up on them...
  • edited February 2013
    Hmmm...then think about what you want the dog for. Sweet is different than a guard dog. Do you want a dog to actually train to be a guardian dog? Or one that is a livestock guardian dog that has that temperament already? Or just a bigger one? (Just wondering, because there is kind of a big difference between a Malinois and a Tamaskan!)

American Akitas are pretty good for this--steady dogs, will work as a watch dog, and are intimidating in looks, and mine, at least, has an instinct to protect, in the sense that he is always aware of what is going on, and places himself between me and whatever he sees as a threat. That's all he does--and I hope he's never put to more of a test--but he's a big boy and so does make people think twice! They have a lot of the NK qualities, but I find them pretty biddable, and calm, and even, on occasion, cuddly! :)

(and if you get one from a puppy, they can even adapt to Shiba quarrelsomeness). And I know, you said not another NK, but I couldn't resist a bit of a plug for the AAs..... :)
  • They are so good with small children! No one will mess with you with a leonberger, but they are so sweet and loving!
  • edited February 2013
    We don't need an actually guardian breed or I'd be looking more towards a Kangal.
    I guess we don't need a guard dog per se, just that if we were to go the Malinois route, I would have him trained as one.
    We'd prefer a bigger dog just for the fact that they seem more threatening, even if they don't have the attitude that goes with it. In the way that, the Tamaskan has a sweet temperament but if somebody sees you walking a dog that looks like a wolf, they'd probably think twice about messing with you.
    We're not necessarily looking for huge dogs either (nor are we against them).

Just in the very beginning stages of deciding, tossing ideas around of breeds we like.
  • They are so good with small children! No one will mess with you with a leonberger, but they are so sweet and loving!
    Definitely keeping them in mind as "dog breed I would like to own someday", even if they aren't the next one.
    (Then again, I'd love to win the lottery just to quit my job, buy a ton of land, own as many dogs as possible and just take care of them all day...)

• Should also mention that I am 4'10" and 87lbs... So if going the big dog route, they need to be easily trainable... because there is no way I could control them by strength.
  • edited February 2013
    You shouldn't have to control a dog by strength. I have an Akita and had a doberman and all were clicker trained.

Tamasakans are cool but it's really hard to find a good breeder. If you are on the east coast, I would stay away from Tarheel. I did not like John Bannow (the breeder) when exchanging emails. Also, Right Puppy Kennels (goes without saying) should stay away.

edit: I was seriously considering a Tamaskan, but the more I look at them, the less they look like a wolf to me. People say my Kai looks like a Wolf or a Hyena and are afraid of her. Heck, people thought my Shiba was a fox and stayed away.

Here is a thread where a lot of forum members posted different dog breeds: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/151014#Comment_151014
  • edited February 2013
    To clarify:
    The strength comment was meant towards walking them, my dogs know how to walk on a leash, but will sometimes pull if something catches their attention (because of their prey drive). It is easy for me to hold my ground and go into "tree-mode" when they don't want to listen to me asking them to leave-it. They tug for a little until they realize it doesn't work, then stop, and we continue our walk.

If I were walking a 100+lb dog and something like this were to occur, I'd be pulled along, or they'd get away. However, if it was a breed that is very responsive to voice commands, a leave-it type command would be enough and "tree-mode" wouldn't be necessary.
  • edited February 2013
    I think my boyfriend just likes the idea of having a dog that looks like a wolf, a lot more research needs to be done before any decisions are made (and if we did got that way, we would possibly look into importing).

Edit: other breeds he has mentioned include the Northern Inuit Dog and the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog.
  • Get a Rott!!! When I had mine I was 87 pds at 5' tall and never had a problem. They are easily trained, may grunt every once in a while in disgust at what you are asking them to do, but still do it, and they are great with kids! My godchildren would ride Bear. He loved them.
  • If you want a guard dog you could take Mika. Lmao. She's guarding me right now from a noise outside. She guards me not the home. What an odd Kai.
  • I love Rotties! My dad always had Rott/GSD mixes when I was growing up.

So that may also be a possibility.... How do you think one would do with 2 NK?
  • edited February 2013
    Rotts are pretty laid back and don't engage in bullshit like NK. Always make sure to pick a good breeder and check out the parents.

Btw my guard Kai is protecting me from a dog on tv and growling at it while climbing on my lap. Are you sure you don't want Mika? Lol.

A Rott would ignore this drama. Lol
  • That's so cute =)

Both of my dogs love to pester each other and the cat, so whichever breed we decide on will have to either play the same as them, or be able to ignore/put up with them.

I also don't know how my boyfriend feels about Rotts... I'll ask him in the morning.
  • Malinois??? No no no, you must go stripes! Dutchies all the way ;) LOL

But...I am biased. :D ~
  • Just read to him the Carl book.

Mika is still attacking the tv.
  • @Sangmort Dutchies are definitely not crossed off the list. I've been very fond of them for a while now. &Seeing your dogs definitely increases that fondness! lol :D
  • Lol Dutchies and Mali's are good. I little too high anxiety for me. But that quality makes them good working dogs.
  • How long is this list? Lol
  • @Loni - Haha well if you want a good breeder, let me know. Wraith & Aggro's breeder is amazing. She recently came down to FL for a visit & even stayed the night with us. Couldn't as for a better one.

@tjbart17 - I think it depends on the lines. Wraith & Aggro aren't high anxiety at all. Crazy drivey / hyper...oh yeah. But anxiety? Nope.

[ tho...they do "settle" nicely, for the most part...LOL! ] ~
  • edited February 2013
    @Zinja It seems pretty long. lol

I guess no dogs are really "crossed-off". There hasn't actually been any real narrowing down at this point. We literally just started discussing it today. It will be at a very minimum 2 years before we get another dog, but seeing how some wait list can be quite long I figured we may as well start trying to figure this out.
    I think for the most part if we consider only looks, we generally like dogs with spitz/shepherd/wolf type looks best.
    Of course we have to consider personalities and train-ability as well.
    So the dog must be able to live with 2 NK and a cat, and be good with children (I know socialization will affect all of this), just in case we do decide to eventually start a family.
    Must also be relatively easily trained (I considered my dogs easily trained, so this shouldn't be to hard to find).... Activity level doesn't really matter since we are both pretty active people.
    And preferably around the size of a GSD (or possibly bigger).
  • @Sangmort Thanks! If we go that route, I will definitely come to you. =)
  • edited February 2013
    @sangmort when I place all breeds on a spectrum yes Mali's are more anxiety ridden than Dutchies but in comparison to other breeds they are still too much for me. I like a laid back dog. I love my neighbor's Mali's. love love love them but wouldn't own one and he's tried to give me pups.

Mika does not get along with them at all. She hates their hyperactivity and snapping in her face. The Mali's are unfortunately no longer allowed in my home. :-(
  • @tjbart17 As you can see by my picture, face biting is common in my house. We call it "zombie mode", Meeko will just bite on Kiyomi's head until Yomi plays with her. (Though sometimes Yomi will let it go on for a little, I think she likes getting the ear massage.)
  • @tjbart17 - no idea about malis. I can only speak for the dutchie lines that I have. For example, Aggro & Wraith are totally different then the dutchies I've met at the protection sport club.

That said, the mali at the club tend to be kind of...crazy...for a lack of a better word. lolThe dutchies are more serious, a little more like [ working-line ] GSD's. But, it strongly depends on the lines & what the breeders are breeding for. Asheley & Josh's dogs live in the house with them, & she's constantly working on her lines, not just breeding to whatever popular stud is out there every year like most breeders do.

I have been told however, there's a big difference between the dutch & mal in the east, vs west, vs midwest, vs northeast...etc. etc. lol

@Loni - Wraith & Aggro are from Asheley & Josh at Vrijheid Kennels if you ever want to take a peak. :) Asheley & josh are super sweet, and pretty straight up about the breed, for the good & bad points! lol

Yea, in my house, the NK do the face-snapping...the dutchies like to chase / play tug / butt bump lol

Dragoon is especially bad with the face biting!!! ~
  • @Loni it's a little different with Mali's. not like NK at all.

@Sangmort now I'm going to find a Dutchie breeder to check out their dogs. I'm always up for educating myself. I've only known two Dutchies and I'd say they both had that anxiety. Anxiety btw helps with schutzhund training and both of these dogs were amazing working dogs. They lived in the home with their trainers and were never kenneled. If Corina hops on the forum she can expand I'm sure @shikokuspirit

I'm as always bias for the breeds I love. I was also raised with a schitzhund trainer who won't work with Mali's at all because of their anxiety. He says they bite when they shouldn't and let go too quick. I'm sure that Corina has had a different experience.
  • edited February 2013
    @tjbart17 & @Sangmort I appreciate the input.

We're definitely keeping a very open mind at this point, and all opinions/suggestions are welcome. =)