Any Shikoku in the Dallas,TX or central Florida area?

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted on the forum, but courious if there are any shikoku owners anywhere around the Dallas or central Florida area? I'm still borderline obssessed with them and unfortunatly it looks like another 2 years before I can even think about getting a dog (my insane work/school schedule just wont do). I do travel back a forth a few times a year and was wonderig if anyone would be willing to meet up sometime. I would love some time with one and get some face to face time with some of the people on this forum.

Thanks in adavance!
-Richard

Comments

• I have a Shikoku/Laika mix and will be in central FL sometime in March. She's not full Shikoku but is still pretty adorable if you'd like to meet her? (:
  • I am in Anna Tx, just north of Dallas and I will be getting a Kai later this year. @jellyfart has an Akita in the Dfw area but I dont know of any Shikoku in the area. I am sure there are some out here but I have not met them yet.
  • We live in Orlando and have a Shikoku and Kai Ken. :)
  • @Sangmort is in Central Florida. She has a Kishu and a shika.

• No shikoku in dallas that I am aware of.

Actually. Let me rephrase. There are no shikoku in texas.
  • Thanks everyone!! I love how well this community talks with each other!

@Hinata23 I'll be in the Tampa/Orlando area in early April. Maybe we could set something up! Thanks for the map too! very helpful.

@Jellyfart lol. Hopefully I'll be able to change that little "no shikoku in texas" fact sometime soon. :-) My best friend has raised 2 Akitas since I've known him, they are great dogs and what lead me to learn about Shika. How do your Akitas do in the texas heat?

@loni I love your posts on Kimiko and Kiyomi! Too bad I would have just missed you in Florida.

@oddball - Congrats on getting your Kai!!! The more NK here in north Texas the better! Can't wait to see pics!

@zinja Thanks for the info on Sangmort!
  • edited February 2013
    @haalumni I don't think Ossy (Sangmort) will be able to do a meet up. Her Shikoku is ill and probably will not be up for it. Let us know when you're going to be in town and we'll plan something :) Just a heads up, ChoCho (our lady Shikoku) is very shy with strangers... but that's a Shikoku for you. :)
  • edited February 2013
    My Toki copes with the heat just like any other dog. My philosophy is if it is 100 degrees outside, why would you take ANY dog into that heat. Now having said that, pretty much anything about 65 degrees is too hot to excersize/run in, and anything above 80 is too hot for walks and we have to resort to night time walking.

If you get a shikoku, i HAVE to meet him/her! I have never met one and out of all the nihon ken, shikoku is my second favorite, next to akita, of course.
  • @ Hinata23 - OH MY GOSH!!! I totally forgot that you had ChoCho! I had considered getting her brother Mason when he needed to be re-homed a while back but decided against it b/c I had just started nursing school. We will definately have to plan something! :-)

@jellyfarts - I completly agree the temps here make it difficult for them (and us). I live very near whiterock lake katy trail and late afternoon/early evening walks are really nice there. LOL whenever I get a shikoku we are going to have to have an NK of dallas get together.
  • edited February 2013
    @haalumni Was Mason the one kept by Peggy? He was a very nice looking boy. I'm sure your pup will be just as pretty/handsome! :)
  • Yeah, Fate LOVES people, but, he's not well enough to drive / go new places. [ ridiculous amounts of anxiety ]

Plus, I think meeting a neurologically broken shikoku might turn you off for the breed. ~
  • when you get your shikoku, your puppy will have to become an honorary japanese akita so he/she can attend our JACA picnics and come to the Japanese Fall Festival.
  • @Hinata23 Did Peggy end up keeping him? It broke my heart to not to get him but in the end it was best. Right now between school and work I'm gone 16-20 hours a day 4-5 days a week and I knew there was just no way that would have been fair to him. I'm in my final year of school though, so in the meantime I'll live vicariously through you guys on the forum. :-)

@Sangmort OMG Osy, I had no clue about fate! I absolutely love all his pictures, he's so handsome! I just watched your videos and while it’s incredibly sad and difficult, he does look happy as can be. If the opportunity allows I would still love to meet ya'll. You guys are amazing!

@Jellyfish lol, that would be sight! No need to wait till I get a pup though, let me know next time you get together. :-)
  • edited February 2013
    @haalumni I have no idea... I got ChoCho from Brad who got her from Peggy. I don't keep in touch with her. We waited until my last semester of college to get our NK. It was worth the wait. :)
  • @sangmort has he gotten worse since I've seen him? poor guy.

@jellyfish - why the name change?!! I loved the old one, it always made me giggle inside

@haalumni- I'm in tampa and/or central Florida depending on what time of year you visit
  • hahahaha!!! I asked @brada1878 to change it after @jackburton brought it up a possible insinuation behind it, bahaha ;D
    But i had been wanting to change it for some time now.
    "fart" really isn't really my thing anymore. Its really only appropriate for xbox live
  • and it took about three seconds to figure out the insinuation. for the record there was no connection to it before this comment, for me.
  • @Hinata23 - LOL I love how @brada1878 is always involved somehow. It was after some conversations with him about Ahi that he pointed me to peggy about a possible pup.

@Brada1878 - Seriously Brad, I bet if we played "6 degrees of seperation" we could get to almost any dog on here in less than 4 steps through you. :-) Thanks for all you do!

@ yandharr - I saw on the map that you have a Kai and a Shiba, do you have a shikoku also?
  • no, no Shikoku :(
  • I'm the guy behind the guy ;)
  • I'm the guy behind the guy ;)
    I'd like you to take a really long look at that statement and you'll know why that makes me giggle...

Jesse:p