Dehydrator

edited February 2013 in Products & DIY
I've been wanting to get a dehydrator and I think this year I might as well get it.

I plan to dehydrate chicken hearts, beef heart pieces, liver, boneless lean meat, and sweet potatoes.. I might dehydrate trachea when I get some. Fish too I will try fish for treats since Saya loves mackerel I can get it boneless no problem..

I was thinking of getting Nesco one
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-80-FD-80A-Square-Shaped-Dehydrator/dp/B0090WOCM6/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359056484&sr=1-3&keywords=nesco+dehydrator

Or this L'Equipe dehydrator
http://www.amazon.com/LEquip-306200-500-Watt-6-Tray-Dehydrator/dp/B00004Z4GQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359056059&sr=1-1&keywords=L'Equipe+dehydrator

I'm open to other brands too I'd like to get a good one so I don't have to re buy one after a month of use..

I never used a dehydrator before so not sure what is best thing to look for.

Saya eats raw so It'd be nice to include dehydrated stuff for recall treats.

She loves kibble and dog treats like zukes and home made peanut butter biscuits or fish fudge..

How is the cleaning on dehydrators? I don't mind cleaning, but just curious.

What brand do you use for dehydrating stuff?

I'm looking for one that is good for boneless meat, organs, sweet potatoes and possibly trachea. I wouldn't mind try making my own trachea treats, but I might not it depends.

Comments

• I have a cabelas brand and it works well for me when I make venison jerky, duck jerky, and boar jerky. One advise is don't go cheap especially if you're buying it for human consumption. There's also kits that allow you to use your oven.

Hope this helps!
  • Yeah, I went cheap (I got a Nesco 700-watt round dehydrator, don't remember the model exactly but it's the one that cost like $50 or $60), and the beef jerky I tried to make for human consumption... was not good. =P But it does the trick just fine for chicken hearts, and I do feel we got our money's worth out of it very quickly with just a few months worth of homemade treats.