peeing!

edited January 2013 in Behavior & Training
I need help! I don't understand....Kuma is 16 weeks now. I thought we had a good handle on house training. All of the sudden about a week ago now she has been having accidents. It seems like she'll pee when over excited and playing with our housemates dog or if shes scared. I used to vacuum in front of her and she seemed a little scared but no big thing, and just yesterday she squatted and peed when she saw me walking with it! Anyone else have a similar problem?
I've heard this could be due to teething, or the whole fear development stage...hmmm

Oh also...I took a rug away from the other dog who had drug it to another place in the house to chew on it, I placed it back in its spot in the kitchen and Kuma followed me, walked onto it after I placed it down and took a pee on it almost as if she thought I put it down for her to do so!!!!!

Side notes:
I take her out about every 2-4 hrs when I'm home depending on play/eating/drinking.
I have water down available during the day all day
I had stopped going outside with her every time, therefore not as much praise and treat when she goes.

Any thoughts? I feel like we're going backwards...is this submissive behavior? Ahhhhhhh

Comments

• Our girl Sumi (shikoku) did pee out of excitement when she was a puppy, so I guess its quite normal. It will disappear after some weeks, don't worry.
  • It could be fear development stage going on.

Saya as pup used to not like vacuum either. :\ I worked with her by giving her treats in the same room as the vacuum. far enough she is fine with it and over time I got the treat closer to the vacuum..

Eventually I had her go on couch and give her treats and then vacuumed far away and tossed treats on the couch from afar.

Eventually she would jump on the couch each time I turned on vacuum.. Not sure if that is best way to teach a dog to not fear the vacuum, but worked for Saya.

She would also pee out of excitement whenever someone she liked she would pee tiny bit. One time I was holding her to take her out to potty in am and mom came down to check something Saya pee a little on me. haha

Saya once met a big friendly dog Saya potty a bit. She eventually figured the big dog wanted to meet her not hurt her so she started to play bow.

She is still young so maybe take her out to potty more often to be sure she potties.

Sometimes puppies regress with training too.

Saya grew out of the excitement pee as she got older.

• I think dogs like most all animals (humans included) learn and regress, learn and progress and regress again for quite some time. The key is consistency and keep praising the behavior you do want. I'd say that at 16 weeks she could still have more accidents in the house before she really "gets" it. Keep up the positive rewards with her and I'd think you'll pull through just fine!