Is my puppy rude?

edited January 2013 in Behavior & Training
Hello NK members,

I've been reading various topics in this forum, and has been very helpful since I got my puppy(his name is Kai (海)) last October. He is 5 month old. He has been on raw diet since I got him from day 1, half-crate trained(I don't lock the door. He is willing to stay inside with command), and on his boomerang tag. He is quite friendly with dogs and strangers, sometime makes me think that he may not be a good guard dog. He just started taking his first obedience training.

I started taking him to dog parks from last week so that he can play with other dogs freely. I notice that he chooses his favorite, and walks side by side for a while, then tries to mount or puts his front paws on the dog. He seems to choose old medium size dogs to do this behavior. He doesn't care if the dog burks/growls at him. My question is, is my puppy rude? Should I stop him, let's say after trying three or four times? How can I redirect his behavior? Couple of dog owners were irritant with his behavior(following and mounting, I think). He doesn't do this to every dog, though.

Comments

• The older dogs will check him when he's too much, its good to have pups play with older dogs. My girl (15 months kai ken) chooses a favorite to play with and will end up play/dominance/whatever humping if allowed to go unchecked by the other dog. It's just how she does. It's a touch awkward but moat owners understand and I quip that's she's a lover so never had any issues. Long story barely shorter, no he's not ru.de, he's learning boundaries with dogs by dogs.
  • As far as guard dog goes... Most dogs will not be guard dogs without proper guard dog training. What kind of puppy is Kai?

I would redirect the behavior and work on "off." If your puppy is nice, the other dog may not be, especially if he growls at him. How old is he? He may just need socialization in a less stress free environment before dog parks.

• @Yoshiko, I might have agreed w/ @cdenney to let the other dogs teach the puppy manners if this was in a puppy social setting with trained instructor nearby. However, you mentioned the other dog owners were irritated. My guess is b/c they see your puppy provoking theirs and not backing off when theirs are barking/growling as warning. They know their dog's only recourse is to use teeth and they don't want their dogs to get thrown out of the dog park for defending themselves.

So, if puppy ignores the other dogs' warning repeatedly, be prepared to see puppy get bitten and the humans get nasty. I like Joe's idea of re-directing the behavior to do "off" better.

Not all older dogs know their manner either. We started our JA pup w/ an off leash puppy 2 class last November, she was almost 5-month-old at that time and have been going to daycare for a month. There was a 9-month-old JRT that kept coming at our JA's face during play, ours didn't like it and barked/growled for him to back off, but he kept coming back for more. It was kind of scary sounding to hear my pup growl but the instructor said our pup has all the rights to tell off another dog, and told the JRT's owner to give her dog a time out when he ignores other dog's cues to back off.
  • That's why I'm never crazy about going to the dog park because a lot of owners don't know dog's language. Some think some behaviours are normal when it's not and vice-versa. We tend, most of the time, to overeact.
  • When I read the title, I thought... 'Probably, most puppies are.' LOL That's why they need socialization - to learn.
  • Most owners were very nice and dogs were well behaved in the dog parks I went. One of irritant owners kicked(not so hard, though) my puppy to stay away from hers, so I was quite in shock. She was heading to parking lot in hurry, so I suppose she didn't like my dog bothers hers....

@cdenney and @hondru Yes, that's why I started taking my puppy to dog parks for him to learn manners. Sniffing each other during regular walk was just not enough for my puppy to interact with other dogs. I saw other dogs are off leash, but I am afraid to do same in our neighborhood, too many wild animals and narrow streets.

I do see the point what @rikumom said, though. "Off" command! Thank you for good suggestion @Zinja. Mine is Kurotora, Kai Ken.

I tried two dog parks, one with fenced and the other without(surrounded with town lake instead of fence). I really like the one near lake because it's spacious and very beautiful.... but I think I had better choose fenced dog park because it's small, and there is usually only a few dogs are around, so I can keep close eye on my puppy, and owners were all friendly.
  • I think dog parks are scary. You never know what kind of people and what kind of dogs will be there. There are lots of crazies out there.. My dog has been attacked by off leash dogs several times in the park (not even a dog park, but lots of people let their dogs loose there).

I hate it when my dog jumps other dogs because he gets so intense and I can see that he is stressed and not doing it for the funsies.. besides, I wouldn't like other dogs raping my dog, so I try to keep it the other way as well.
  • I agree with the park choosing the right one with right people is needed. I go to the same park at the same time every week so we h (when we go) ave it to ourselves for 30 min usually or were sharing with a very ball driven alsatian who has not once paid attention to Sachi (to her dis pleasure) to burn off the Initall fiesty then its the same group of dogs. Redirection is a great idea. Plus if you ever get a wild card dog you can ease your pup out of play and away to play with you in a not busy corner.

The $$ dog botiques like wylie wag or what may be near you sometimes do regular little dog socials on Sundays after hours. Even though Sachi outweighs the largest by several pounds (6-8) I made sure she could come and that way you can do a controlled setting meet (plus its facilitated for free by their trainer). So try seeing what your local dog shops offer in the way of free events as another option.
  • @yoshiko, you mentioned Kurotora has just started taking his first obedience class. Does your obedience class facility also offer puppy socials or daycare? Usually pup socials are limited to dogs under 6 months of age, but you might find non-profits like SPCA that have dog socials for dogs in general. Big chains stores like PetCo or PetSmart will sometimes advertise free dog socials as well [to lure in future clients for day care and obedience calss].

Another option is talk to the other owners in the obedience class, see if they would be interested in meeting up at the dog park, so at least Kurotora has a core set of dogs he see regularly for obedience and social/play. 5-month-old is right around the time they start teething, so I found it was helpful to have other puppy of similar age to wrestle play and gnaw. Older dogs don't necessarily want to be gnawed on by puppy.

Some suggested readings on dog park (I think @poeticdragon posted these at one time)
    http://www.badrap.org/dog-parks
    http://leerburg.com/dogparks.htm
    http://www.blogpaws.com/2011/01/the-dog-park-craze-the-good-the-bad-and-the-sometimes-ugly.html
    www.apdt.com/petowners/park/docs/DogParks_King.pdf
  • Thank you all! I'll ask if there are any social/play times are offered near by, and I'll read the suggested readings.
  • That's why I'm never crazy about going to the dog park because a lot of owners don't know dog's language. Some think some behaviours are normal when it's not and vice-versa. We tend, most of the time, to overeact.
    I agree! Primitive breeds tend to be more "dog" and scare people. A (adult) lab was being goofy and started to close in on me. I was slowly backing away from it when my pup picked up on it and chased the dog out of my space. The owners freaked out and started yelling about my dangerous dog. It took a lot of self control to be nice to them, but getting ugly would have only made us look bad. They probably wouldn't believe that a 10 pound Japan Chin (male) is his best bud! ;)

Yoshiko, your pup sounds normal for its age and breed. :)