Raw food pricing and availability

I'm putting together a cost analysis for feeding raw or raw frozen. It seems to be ludicrously expensive so I must be doing something wrong or not going to the right places to shop. PetSmart carries four brands of raw frozen none of which are actually listed on Dog Food Adviser. Prices for meat at our supermarkets seems to be significantly higher than what people are claiming online.

Can someone help me put together an appropriate price sheet? Where do you buy your food? Do you order it online and do you take into account the extra cost of shipping?

The following stores are local to me: PetSmart, PetCo, Stater Bros, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy, Albertsons, and some Korean market with a name I can't type that has lots of weird stuff. We do not have any small or independent butcher shops. I'm willing to order and have it delivered if its cost effective.

My goal is beat the $3 per 450 kcal cost of Blue Buffalo canned, so I would prefer the list be in price per kcal but price per pound is okay. I would like to feed the same kind of meats already in their food and treats -- salmon, herring, lamb, beef, duck, and turkey. We avoid chicken and haven't tried pork simply due to lack of availability in most brands.

Comments

• You're in California ? You have Vons ? They usually have cheap chicken and ground beef. I can get Chicken Quarters there for 0.88/lb and 20% fat beef for 2.59/lb, they occasionally have bulk sets of Porkchops for 1.19/lb

But I do a lot of my raw 'shopping' through co-ops. We have a meat guy from Oregon that travels up here (I live in WA) and we get organs for like, 0.50/lb..ground chicken for 1.00/lb, etc.
    theres also a lady that breeds rabbits, and we get whole rabbits (with fur) for 1.00/lb, or 1.44/lb if we want them skinned..

I guess it helps that I work at Safeway (here in WA the name is Safeway, but they're Vons) so I get 10% off the meat lol

Try doing a google search for Co-ops in your area. Some charge an annual fee, some charge a flat fee, some ask that you pitch in for shipping costs, some don't charge any fees at all.

For a 90lb Shepherd, and a 20lb growing Shepherd puppy.. I spend about 60$ a month.

According to http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    1oz of chicken leg meat & skin is 52/kcal
    chicken quarters are usually about 14oz, with 30% of it being bone.. so its 9.8oz of actual meat & skin.
    so a Chicken Leg Quarter is about 500/kcal
    since its usually under 1$ per lb, and a quarter itself is under 1lb, I'd say it beats the canned food.

But they need more variety, too.. so..
    1oz of 20/80 ground beef is 71/kcal
    16oz in a lb, so 16 x 71 = 1136/kcal per lb.. or.. 1136/kcal for 2.59

Of course Idk what prices yours are, so I just used my regular ones..
  • All the Vons are gone from our area (the closest was replaced by the Korean market). I think there is a Safeway by my husband's work though.
  • Well I would check out the Korean Market, might be a good place to pick up organs and such. Usually they're pretty cheap, but some things are priced pretty high... $4.00/lb for beef tongue one time, blah!
    Albertsons is usually expensive, so don't bother with them.. Stores like Safeway and Whole Foods usually have butchers there that will cut you a deal if you order in bulk. Like we have 1lb things of beef livers for $2.49/lb, but if you ask for 10lb they drop the price to 0.99/lb or so ! They can usually special order stuff in for you that is usually cheaper, no extra cost but some waiting period.

Another thing is to watch ads and clearances like a hawk. Safeway always has buy one get one free, and if the meat is 2 days from the sell by date, it gets marked down 30%, on the sellby date its 50% but they have to pull it by 2pm that day. and as long as you freeze it you'll be good (we usually feed our meals frozen anyways)
  • Are you near a Super King market?
  • edited January 2013
    I was just about to mention the Super King markets. I know theres a couple in LA county. They have cheap meat and organs in large packs.

Edit: just checked and I think the closest one to you is in Anaheim. You're in Long Beach, right?
  • Hi @poeticdragon, I listed a bunch of commercially made raw food available in the SF Bay Area in this thread back in middle of December, am thinking some of them might be available in SoCal
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8093/feeding-raw

I don't know how much it cost by calories, but the two cheapest sources we feed are:
    http://www.greentripe.com/ it averages out to $2.40/# for the 2# chubs we buy
    http://www.tuckersbones.com/ it averages out $3.5/# for the 8# bags we buy. This brand seems to specialize in pork

Everything else we've tried like Small Batch and Primal are much more expensive and I get them as special occasion, though the dogs don't necessarily dig them. They seem to like green beef tripe for the stink factor, and I rotate their kibble/dehydrated raw
  • I haven't heard of Super King before. I'm in Lakewood, which is between Anaheim and Long Beach (closer to LB).
  • i love super king because their RMB actually have alot of meat on them and they have the part where the dogs can get at the marrow too.

Further, their meat is very cheap. you could go online to see their deals to see whether your trip would be worth it.
  • Would feeding tripe to a dog whose only been on kibble and the occasional chicken/turkey bone be a bad idea?

I saw the xkaliber green tripe and thought it might be a good supplement to Toki's diet since we run a lot. He is getting tired of his kibble. Time to switch things up.
  • green tripe is good. Though I don't feed it as much because the ones I get are really stinky and the dogs like to roll in it. they take it out of their bowl and really get their bodies into it. Then they smell really gross.
  • Roll? Yucky! Ha
  • Green Tripe :-&
  • hey~ what about cooked meat? like cooked ground beef?
    is this bad for the dog?
    BTW this korean market in fullerton sells ground beef for $1/lbs
  • ive tried several brands of canned green tripe and I have found that Tripett brand stinks the least. :) thats my 2 cents...
  • @timkim I should take you to my korean market so you can identify stuff for me... also because they don't like me cause I'm white lol.
  • aykayk
    edited January 2013
    Beef tongue and oxtail prices rivals the cost of good short ribs (kalbi) in my area Korean market. The knee bones, knuckle bones. pork neck bones, and frozen fish (previously sold in the fresh counter) are reasonable. There isn't much offald sold though.
  • the one nearest to me has many spanish workers, if you speak spanish your in the in crowd.
  • hey~ what about cooked meat? like cooked ground beef?
    is this bad for the dog?
    BTW this korean market in fullerton sells ground beef for $1/lbs
    Cooked meat is fine makes yummy kibble topper. I'd sometimes cook a bit of chicken or beef when Saya was a puppy and she got it with her kibble.

Green tripe is yummy Saya loved it and ate it up Bella loved it too.

They had raw and caned. I think raw as more of the benefits of it as the caned is cooked, but caned is still yummy the dogs love it as yummy snack.

I've only gotten 1lb of raw ground green tripe from hare today to try in case the smell was too much. It was OK smell wise stinky yes. lol

I portioned them into 1oz pieces and froze individually.

I'm going to try blue ridge beef tripe once I have room in the freezer for it.

http://www.blueridgebeef.com/welcome.html

I never fed stuff from here before, but prices seem decent. I know someone on FB group who gets the tripe there. They have a list of people who deal it by state.

I have a chest freezer and I stock up on deals when I see them.

Upright freeze is nice for organization.. though I like my chest freezer left side is for boneless, middle is organs, and right is for bone in items and misc stuff.
  • @saya,
    Have you ever got anything from this company in Michigan? They have rabbit, muskrat, ostrich and emu. The prices for rabbit are much cheaper than Small Batch in California
    http://www.mypetcarnivore.com/

@timkim,
    In general I avoid feeding cooked meats b/c I don't want them to confuse their food w/ human food.

This other shiba we know is super spoiled. She gets human food all the time and will pick out cooked meat pieces and leave the kibble if served together.

I have a girl friend who feeds her shibas cooked ground turkey from Trader Joe's. I don't think she mixes them w/ kibble... Ground beef is higher in fat than turkey, but $1/# is hard to beat
  • No not yet the stuff they have looks nice. I know some people on dogster raw who have ordered from mypetcarnivore.com

I'm planning on getting some stuff to try when there is room in the freezer. I still have two big items in the freeze once they're gone I should have some room for stuff.

I plan to get gullet, trachea, and maybe some ostrich, tripe and something else..
  • If you have a university close by, try them. We have a small department where they sell cheap meat after students analyze it. No chemicals added, of course.
  • I just buy bags of leg quarters. They're cheap. I buy whatever else is on sale too. My husband just brought home 45 pounds of porkchops that were marked way down.

And we used to have a standing order of necks/backs at a local butcher. I don't exclusively feed them anymore because I think it is too much bone, but they're not bad to have sometimes. When I started feeding raw, BARF style, more than 12 years ago, necks/backs were recommended, but now people think it is too much bone, and so do I.