Dog treat recipes

Anyone have any suggestions for delicious treat recipes? I'm trying to lure Eevee to the wanted behaviors but she looses interest rather quickly. I normally use hot dogs, chicken liver, and cheese when training.

Comments

• I know you asked for a recipe but.... We recently found Wellness WellBites at the recommendation of the trainer for our puppy class. WOW that stuff is great. It smells really good (I've been tempted to try it) and is moist and chewy and easy to tear apart into smaller pieces -- its even scored for tearing up. They can eat it quickly without spending ages chewing and crunching on it like some harder or dryer treats, but it doesn't go bad or get funky like meat and cheese. My Akitas who I normally say are not food motivated sure love this stuff too. So far we've only opened the duck flavored bag but we also have a bag of lamb or salmon or something. Its made in the USA and has great healthy ingredients.
  • Great! I'll look for it. I usually stop training very early because Eevee isn't very motivated by food or toys. I do 10 two minute sessions a day.
  • Nicole (Saya) has a recipe somewhere around here for fish "fudge" for dogs....I've never made it, but it sounded like they would love it!

Would love to see some recipes myself!
  • we do wellness to but it is expensive.
  • edited January 2013
    Here is one my dogs love, I use these treats for training:

450g liver
    450g flour
    2 - 3 garlic cloves
    3 eggs
    1 spoon of fish oil (or other types)

You mash the liver and mix it with the garlic, eggs, fish oil. Add the flour and if needed a bit of milk until the flour is no longer visible in the composition, you put it in the oven for one hour at medium heat on baking paper. After it cools down I usually cut chunks of it and freeze them until I use them. If you use it right away you have to keep it in the fridge but for no more than 2-3 days.
  • @zinja - for jerky types, I found the solid Gold tiny tots elicit more excitement than wellness.

Dr. Becker's Bites is a good liver treat.. High value treats include buffalo liver (I forget the brand but ours come in conveniently tiny pieces), dried sardines/anchovies (I go to a Japanese grocery store and buy the type for dashi so no salt or preservatives), and Vital Essentials freeze dried tripe.

The last one is pricy but you can buy on Amazon and in our house it's referred to as puppy crack.
  • We cut beef liver into bitesize pieces or small strips, and dehydrate it. The dogs go nuts for it. Even our picky cats think it's the best thing in the world.
  • No recipe here, but Merrick has a lamb lung treat that's a great price, & it's pure lamb lung.

Dogs go nuts. ~
  • doggyloot has Solid Gold lamb lung treats on sale now
    https://doggyloot.com/deals

I get their newsletter to watch for deals on toys mostly, but every so often they'll have Himalayan Dog Chew and meat based treats on sale too
  • This is the recipe I found on dogster on some post.

2 small tins tuna in water OR 1 large can salmon in
    water
    2 eggs
    1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
    1.5 cups flour (all purpose, whole wheat, and oat all
    work well)

Put fish (with canning water), eggs, and garlic in a
    blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into bowl and add
    flour, mix well. Press into a greased 9x9 baking dish
    and bake at 350F for half hour. Half way through baking,
    cut into squares and continue baking. When done, allow
    to cool, remove from pan and break into pre cut squares.
    Store in the fridge in an airtight container.

No need for the garlic if you don't want to and can also do sardines or mackerel. With sardines I have to do three or four cans.

I usually do sardines, mackerel, or salmon depends what I have on hand.

Saya likes it.

If caned fish is an issue you can modify it I'm sure and cook liver ground it and mix it up or cooked meat, heart or whatever like that.

Saya and Bella likes dehydrated meat, liver or salmon.

Zukes or wellness meat treats are good to use.